Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
36 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

Can someone tell me which model is better? Gfs or icon? Because aspege and Icon have the channel low inland and gfs and ecm have it just off the south coast on Tuesday.. 

I thought you were an expert looking at your disparaging remarks on the mod thread.

GFS will always try to get the Atlantic back in until it is impossible, then follow in an over the top way the other models.

Nond of the models know where the low will be yet, until how and when Storm Darcy moves away. It is pretty much now casting this next week for most of the precipitation.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I thought you were an expert looking at your disparaging remarks on the mod thread.

GFS will always try to get the Atlantic back in until it is impossible, then follow in an over the top way the other models.

Nond of the models know where the low will be yet, until how and when Storm Darcy moves away. It is pretty much now casting this next week for most of the precipitation.

Expert? No I’m an amateur but it seems the models do really well or really bad. There’s not really a “best one” 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

I think most of us are going to wonder what the fuss is about , very little snow " Nationwide " and looks to be kept to the extremities out East  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, MJB said:

I think most of us are going to wonder what the fuss is about , very little snow " Nationwide " and looks to be kept to the extremities out East  

I’m thinking the same. Will be very surprised to see more than a couple of cm here. 

1987 is actually a very useful comparison as for 90% of the country it was a dry affair, with any significant snowfall restricted to Kent/Essex. This easterly is looking rather similar.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
13 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Exactly. Boring dry and cold over here, it seems. Maybe the pleasant warmth from S Europe will find its way here by next weekend.

Don't generally mind a bit of snow as a rule BB, but this year I'll settle for my vaccine, and uninterrupted distribution. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Boom! Boom!.......what an absolute stonker!!!

gfs-deterministic-natl_wide-t850_anom_stream-3260800.thumb.png.802dcda9add9318e3228a511eaac73eb.png

.  No beating about the bush, then?   Absolutely love your humour, Knocker.  Maybe you should be saying ‘Winters over...”.  

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

There wouldn't be any, apart from maybe a little over south coast and channel islands,

The way everything is moving west each run, you would expect Greenland high eventually as BA mentioned earlier

So why is everyone getting so hyped saying It’s another beast... 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

So why is everyone getting so hyped saying It’s another beast... 

Because it would be a level of deep cold not seen in the UK for many years over and extended period of time should that come off with such a strong Scandi High, trust me the last thing you would want with those synoptics is snowfall. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Because it would be a level of deep cold not seen in the UK for many years over and extended period of time should that come off with such a strong Scandi High, trust me the last thing you would want with those synoptics is snowfall. 

Ummm are you saying that to a coldie who loves snow how can you not want snow out of it?  of course I’d want snowfall it would be the first thing I’d want. It’s nothing shocking Canada temperatures are even more extreme then that..  but again people calling it BFTE... when really it’s just dry cold high pressure hardly exciting. 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, CentralSouthernSnow said:

Ummm are you saying that to a coldie who loves snow how can you not want snow out of it?  of course I’d want snowfall it would be the first thing I’d want. It’s nothing shocking Canada temperatures are even more extreme then that..  but again people calling it BFTE... when really it’s just dry cold high pressure hardly exciting. 

Veering out of the realms of model discussion into snow impact discussion so swivelling across here to continue this debate.

Infrastructural issues caused by some of those temperatures would be damaging enough and take long enough to fix without people needing to wait for roads to be cleared to get to the affected outages. If my powers going to go out  due to frozen power lines etc I'd like it to be dry enough outside a) they can fix it sharpish and b) I can go out in it. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Veering out of the realms of model discussion into snow impact discussion so swivelling across here to continue this debate.

Infrastructural issues caused by some of those temperatures would be damaging enough and take long enough to fix without people needing to wait for roads to be cleared to get to the affected outages. If my powers going to go out  due to frozen power lines etc I'd like it to be dry enough outside a) they can fix it sharpish and b) I can go out in it. 

Fair enough! I like seeing extreme weather events packed with snow and those temps! Would be historic even if it lasted a couple days! 

Posted

Is it just me or from reading comments won’t be much snow about like March 2013 very cold dry no snow which is boring pointless having cold without snow or is it just me ? 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

Is it just me or from reading comments won’t be much snow about like March 2013 very cold dry no snow which is boring pointless having cold without snow or is it just me ? 

There should be quite a bit of snow from the next 4-5 days - maybe not as much as 2010, March 2013 or March 2018 but widespread snowfall is highly likely.

The snowless but extremely cold feature were looking at is the Scandi high that the models are starting to pick up on/suggest for the end of the week. If it aligns right it could kick in and maintain existing snow-cover without really giving much more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

For most of the country that appears to be the case yes. Very little snow on offer unless you live in Kent/Essex or get lucky enough to be under a streamer.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lets be honest this Winter so far has beaten hands down the last few already even before this cold eastly spell, can't complain at all. For once.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

Dry cold. No snow... hardly great 

Snow can crop up at short notice in these types of setup. The cold will be in place and I’m sure many places will appreciate a chance to dry out a bit, after the incessant rain recently. Plus, you’re well placed for any diving lows or attempted Atlantic incursions.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 4