Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
3 minutes ago, Winter2009 said:

Can someone share how to block individuals 

Put your mouse pointer over their name, the ignore option is there.

Edited by RJBingham
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme
40 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

The solution has been suggested to namby pamby southerner's on numerous occasions. 

House prices are a lot cheaper in Scotland as well!! Just move, especially with WFH ever more common these days. People living south of Watford who complain about never getting snow are as daft as people living in Siberia complaining it snows too much. 

Theres a reason house prices are cheaper...

I also like having an internet connection see and not having to travel 657 miles to get a loaf of bread whilst running the risk of either being mugged by some local scag head who is 'at it' or get hit by a drunk driver on a shortbread come down, or have to endure some random shop keeper talking 'pish' at me because im the only living thing he has seen in the last week asides from Oscar the sheep.

But it is a good place to get snow

Ill just get my 4 kids, wife and dog and tell them were upping sticks and they all have to start new lifes...because daddy wants to enjoy the snow.

Not quite as easy as simply just moving house when your a grown up son ! 

One day if youre lucky you might find out

Edited by EML Network
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

The solution has been suggested to namby pamby southerner's on numerous occasions. 

House prices are a lot cheaper in Scotland as well!! Just move, especially with WFH ever more common these days. People living south of Watford who complain about never getting snow are as daft as people living in Siberia complaining it snows too much. 

We'd have to sacrifice our amazing storms and heatwaves though!

Good luck to you guys up there by the way, the NE England and E.Scotland are probably going to get smashed in the next 7 days, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 30-50cms reported fairly widely.

Think of us down south when we are chasing a dusting from a piddly trough! 

Posted
17 minutes ago, EML Network said:

Theres a reason house prices are cheaper...

I also like having an internet connection see and not having to travel 657 miles to get a loaf of bread whilst running the risk of either being mugged by some local scag head who is 'at it' or get hit by a drunk driver on a shortbread come down, or have to endure some random shop keeper talking 'pish' at me because im the only living thing he has seen in the last week asides from Oscar the sheep.

But it is a good place to get snow

Ill just get my 4 kids, wife and dog and tell them were upping sticks and they all have to start new lifes...because daddy wants to enjoy the snow.

Not quite as easy as simply just moving house when your a grown up son ! 

One day if youre lucky you might find out

I think your impression of the north might be entirely based o nthe 1970s. There's some very upmarket places up north, often for a fraction of the cost of even downmarket places down south. 

The other points are taken, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Looks like a bust for the SE, especially SE coasts.

The Low just wont clear South enough to get us into significant cold.

Looks like more pointless chilly weather at the weekend followed by more rain by Tuesday.

One or two solutions look more favorable for this part of the world,but they are a minority tonight.

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

We'd have to sacrifice our amazing storms and heatwaves though!

Good luck to you guys up there by the way, the NE England and E.Scotland are probably going to get smashed in the next 7 days, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 30-50cms reported fairly widely.

Think of us down south when we are chasing a dusting from a piddly trough! 

I'm in the north west, equally as snowless as the south east on quite a few charts. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Parts of Merseyside still snowless for 3 years. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

I'm in the north west, equally as snowless as the south east on quite a few charts. 

I'd think you've got a better chance than we do down here at the moment still!

Still, feel free to join us on our dusting chasing in the near future, you can be an honorary southerner for a few day!

Posted
4 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Looks like more pointless chilly weather at the weekend followed by more rain by Tuesday.

One or two solutions look more favorable for this part of the world,but they are a minority tonight.

I think we still stand a reasonable chance down here mid week providing the cold air can get in in the first place, which the large of majority do manage.

And of course, who knows, things can shift around still further, though I do have to say I think the models are zeroing in on the general area now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Still, feel free to join us on our dusting chasing in the near future, you can be an honorary southerner for a few day!

I wouldn't bet on it mate, it's truly dreadful here. 3 years snowless, 5 years before that!

Posted
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Next week, when you hopefully get buried under with snow cast your eye up north on the radar for an hour or so and watch the precipitation die.

This a 2010 map of lying snow days (I didn't live here then, thankfully)

image.thumb.png.03748c02c99b57a61a8ad9e2403840bb.png

This is the "Beast from the East" of 2018

image.thumb.png.5222f3dcf07738ba22c298356640fd40.png

Posted
8 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Next week, when you hopefully get buried under with snow cast your eye up north on the radar for an hour or so and watch the precipitation die.

I think the only way I'm going to get much snow is if we get an attack from the SW, which is I suppose out there as an option.

I personally locally think it may end up being one of those spells where most days in the cold spell see snow fall, but very little actually hangs around. Hopefully the low will be a little further SE just to get more of the country into the fun and games.

I won't complain though, I was lucky that the previous Sunday more than gave the goods in the end. I'm at 120m which means I do manage to get a few marginal events on occasion, though those rarely settle, like the weekend just gone.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
14 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I think we still stand a reasonable chance down here mid week providing the cold air can get in in the first place, which the large of majority do manage.

And of course, who knows, things can shift around still further, though I do have to say I think the models are zeroing in on the general area now.

I know, we can only hope the Met office 'in house models' are seeing a greater thrust from the Arctic High and a degree of Shannon is at play as we are in unusual territory here of course.Emerging blocks often end up with a greater potency...perhaps the Decider sees this.We can hope!

Posted

.the models may revert back to a cleaner solution tomorrow but the events of the past 24 hours reminds us that any op deviating from the consensus needs to be respected 

hugely neg AO/NAO combo is a few days time ........ the extended eps still not seeing a continuation of v cold ........infact that’s true across the ens mean/anoms

Posted

While the tension mounts over the GFS and folk wish they were staying north of the borders,I ask...what have I got to look forward to by way of snow here likes?

DD020A5E-773E-4605-AA7B-C15F6F19331A.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
6 minutes ago, MildCarlilse said:

While the tension mounts over the GFS and folk wish they were staying north of the borders,I ask...what have I got to look forward to by way of snow here likes?

DD020A5E-773E-4605-AA7B-C15F6F19331A.jpeg

Significant windchill though !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Oh well look at it this way,  at least there won't be as much disruption for the vaccine rollout. 

Only a few weeks to go now before we can start to enjoy warmer weather (especially for those in the SE). 

Posted
52 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Are we on the cusp of a Feb 1991 here?

Its certainly a similar time of year, I'm sure of it....

That’s the benchmark for me, I remember it well. The snow event that got me into the weather. Opening the curtains that morning, aged 13, and seeing the complete whiteout outside, 1ft or more of snow, it took my breath away. I hope everyone has that feeling once in their life.... magical!

Edited by Paul_1978
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

That’s the benchmark for me, I remember it well. The snow event that got me into the weather. Opening the curtains that morning, aged 13, and seeing the complete whiteout outside, 1ft or more of snow, it took my breath away. I hope everyone has that feeling once in their life.... magical!

Yep exactly the same as me. I remember one of the BBC weathermen (was it Bill Giles) going on Going Live the weekend before it arrived and warning of very cold winds coming in from the East next week - but it was likely to just be cold and dry with little snow.  Then I remember the Thursday morning when Francis Wilson on BBC Breakfast projected a foot of snow and an ice day.  School was incredible that day!!  And that was that, weather and snow / easterly hunts were in my veins ever since!

I don't think this will get close to that sadly - just doesn't look to have anywhere near the depth of cold, the long fetch beasterly or duration of either 1991 or 1987 before that.  Let's all hope for a nationwide snow event though this weekend.  Those northerners can surely spare us a few flakes!

• Like 3

Posted

Paul lovely post. For those that don't understand, that's what seasonal weather is about for coldies. Snow reminds us of great memories usually of childhood but for me 1991 was as an adult walking through snowfields at night to some lights, only to find a snowplough stuck. The driver asking me if it was clearer further on. They reversed. We got dug out 5 days later.

OOps chart thread. After the 18Z it's looking like things are firming up for a good long cold spell.....!!!

Edited by Gadje
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
23 minutes ago, Kakatak said:

Yep exactly the same as me. I remember one of the BBC weathermen (was it Bill Giles) going on Going Live the weekend before it arrived and warning of very cold winds coming in from the East next week - but it was likely to just be cold and dry with little snow.  Then I remember the Thursday morning when Francis Wilson on BBC Breakfast projected a foot of snow and an ice day.  School was incredible that day!!  And that was that, weather and snow / easterly hunts were in my veins ever since!

I don't think this will get close to that sadly - just doesn't look to have anywhere near the depth of cold, the long fetch beasterly or duration of either 1991 or 1987 before that.  Let's all hope for a nationwide snow event though this weekend.  Those northerners can surely spare us a few flakes!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
12 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I wasn't alive during this time but wow to experience something like that sounds incredible.

March 2013 is the only time I've seen full on drifting snow, to experience anything like that again would be amazing. 

Yet here I am would happily settle for 5cm at this in time 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
17 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

I wasn't alive during this time but wow to experience something like that sounds incredible.

March 2013 is the only time I've seen full on drifting snow, to experience anything like that again would be amazing. 

Yet here I am would happily settle for 5cm at this in time 

It was classic=@fond memori✌=if we engage some dynamicsw\outs. We could re-visit?!!...in we go