Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
6 hours ago, YellowSnow said:

And we know those outcomes are about as rare as unicorn in a temperate climate like ours. 

I suspect they are slowly becoming rarer, as our climate warms and it takes more and more extreme synoptics to bring proper cold air and significant snow. Back in February 2010 there was a day when it rained all day and the temperature never got above 2C. I couldn't help thinking 50 or 60 years ago that same setup would have dropped nearly a foot of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
19 minutes ago, al78 said:

I suspect they are slowly becoming rarer, as our climate warms and it takes more and more extreme synoptics to bring proper cold air and significant snow. Back in February 2010 there was a day when it rained all day and the temperature never got above 2C. I couldn't help thinking 50 or 60 years ago that same setup would have dropped nearly a foot of snow.

I think it’s people like me that live near the coast are the first ones to see the effects of global warming, as it could be marginal for snow at the best of times. It’s certainly becoming more difficult to get snow lying here than it was 10 or 20 years ago. And of course as the temperature continues to rise the effect will be felt in other areas that are less marginal than here. I suspect only truly cold spells will deliver snow to coastal areas now and in the future. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

I’m afraid the cold air won’t reach the UK this time as the EU have decided to ration it and keep it strictly limited to the continent. Due to a shortage of snow in Europe this winter they feel they are quite entitled to keep it themselves and not share with anyone outside the union. So very sorry, but winter’s over for the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Latest week ahead showed the weather patterns for this coming weekend, but didn't make much if any of bitter weather with milder weather right up across the west

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard012.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Neilsouth said:

Latest week ahead showed the weather patterns for this coming weekend, but didn't make much if any of bitter weather with milder weather right up across the west

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard012.jpg

They only use ECM output, so this is day 10 from the 00z run

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
Just now, Neilsouth said:

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard012.jpg

Its BBC..... .  ..enough said

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

They only use ECM output, so this is day 10 from the 00z run

Ah I see, I didn't know that! Cheers :D

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard012.jpg

with the way the models are sizing things up - they know what's coming - they just don't want to cause a panic just yet this far ahead

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowuse said:

Continuing the football theme, a less-than-scientific theory, to buoy up those of us looking forward to some decent snow. Today, Stoke City drew away for the 6th consecutive match. Last time they did that? Dec 1962. ‘Nuff said

Couldn't they of lost

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

off topic as it’s been related bit on topic as it’s about the models 

how frustrating must it be for pro forecasters to have to use day 10 operational charts ???.

Haha I was going to say the same, imagine Ian f with all his expert knowledge having to stand there in front of graphics he knows are likely way off

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

how frustrating must it be for pro forecasters to have to use day 10 operational charts ???.

Absolutely, especially when you know they will have seen ensembles and all the other models. Meteogroup should be ashamed of the service they are providing the BBC. Any fool can just display a graphic from the last operational ECM run ??‍♂️ 

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

And to think our licence fee is used to pay for what we can look at for free!

For a bit of perspective, the GEM was one of the last models to drop the deep cold charts earlier this month, so I wouldn’t entirely trust it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I wouldn't do it, i would look for another job with an on line company instead, even worse than that, A couple of years ago it was Thomas Sharfenaker who was the man entrusted with showing the public in a video how to use the hour by hour BBC 15 day on line forecasts, you could see it in his face, he was nearly laughing while presenting the video!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Absolutely, especially when you know they will have seen ensembles and all the other models. Meteogroup should be ashamed of the service they are providing the BBC. Any fool can just display a graphic from the last operational ECM run ??‍♂️ 

If my received wisdom (from on here) is correct, the deciding factor, vs the UK Met, was that Meteogroup was prepared to furnish the Beeb with 14-day 'app' forecasts? And, what a load of crap they are!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Just now, Tim Bland said:

probably academic as it is slowly moving toward other models ..but if ECM is worst case scenario, is still not that bad, low could slide properly and bring in an easterly but even at that trajectory / latitude it has snow for many ...

60050D05-18A9-4C0C-B987-837B0417E2B9.jpeg

That is the same as today which for many was absolutely S**t! Just like this evenings ECM

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mr snowman 2018 said:

We needed the ECM to follow the GFS on the 12z and it simply hasn’t I have a feeling this will go wrong now as we need all models to come into agreement it’s when they don’t it sends alarm bells ringing for me !

Meto update. The end.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

I love how the most in here are trying to bring order to a chaotic system. Note: not even the best and expensive super duper IBM computers can. Some should study the functions of deterministic weather modelling. Ups, that takes ages and ends with a diploma in meteorology...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

EC is like laughing into a loaded barrel while saying that’s only training ammo...

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Vikos said:

I love how the most in here are trying to bring order to a chaotic system. Note: not even the best and expensive super duper IBM computers can. Some should study the functions of deterministic weather modelling. Ups, that takes ages and ends with a diploma in meteorology...

A diploma in meteorology...which for the lucky few means you get to go on TV and present the latest ECM op chart

• Like 4

Posted

if  this comes  off  the mod  thread will go mad,i know some will happen  we  have  booked  to take the mother  in law to get her  jab !!!

gfs-2-192.png

• Like 1