Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
11 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Is the West Midlands a snow magnet ? We got bombed with about 3 or 4 inches a few days after xmas. That hung around for 15 days. Last Sunday another 3 or 4 inches. Which lasted about 3 days. Now we are advised another 3 to 7 cm on Saturday. And another dollop on Sunday evening. If anyone wants snow come to snowy Dudley!

You should move here, nothing for three years and nothing more than 1cm for 8 years. 

At least there's something brewing for us. Waiting for the inevitable spoilers though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
1 hour ago, reef said:

You should move here, nothing for three years and nothing more than 1cm for 8 years. 

At least there's something brewing for us. Waiting for the inevitable spoilers though!

And the same here south of the Humber ☹️

Posted
7 minutes ago, rotherhamsnowman said:

Met office have just put out WW for Monday to Wednesday  for pretty much the whole of England and Wales

ww.png

Except for that tiny sliver where I live on the east coast

Posted
Just now, snowblizzard said:

And, the entire of Southern England! ☹️

I share your pain.  Contrary to what folk in the south might think, some areas in the north like me have had no snow yet.

• Like 1

On the bases on the seeing the 06Z run I absolutely hope this is stonking outlier along with some of the other cold runs we've seen in the last 24hrs. The last thing we need is a really harsh cold spell disrupting vaccine roll-out and adding further pressure the NHS.  

Posted

I joined Netweather back in 2004 and pretty much appear every winter hoping for snow and cold and every summer wishing for dry and hot. 

However this year, and hopefully for the only year I’m praying none of these cold charts come off. I’ve been involved in the whole COVID issue for a year and bad weather now literally couldn’t come at a worse time. For every vaccine delayed because people don’t attend it has an effect on a further 4 jabs to catch up. 3-4 days of bad weather will therefore have a huge effect on the vaccine roll out and something that none of us should be hoping for.

I love snow as much as anyone but please please please not now. There really are more important things to pray for!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, yido said:

I joined Netweather back in 2004 and pretty much appear every winter hoping for snow and cold and every summer wishing for dry and hot. 

However this year, and hopefully for the only year I’m praying none of these cold charts come off. I’ve been involved in the whole COVID issue for a year and bad weather now literally couldn’t come at a worse time. For every vaccine delayed because people don’t attend it has an effect on a further 4 jabs to catch up. 3-4 days of bad weather will therefore have a huge effect on the vaccine roll out and something that none of us should be hoping for.

I love snow as much as anyone but please please please not now. There really are more important things to pray for!

We posted at pretty much the same time the same thing. Couldn't agree more with you on this occasion, an extremely severe spell of cold weather could be utterly disastrous, which given the way things have gone in the last year means that'll typically be exactly what we end up, followed by a dreadful summer being trapped here!!! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

We posted at pretty much the same time the same thing. Couldn't agree more with you on this occasion, an extremely severe spell of cold weather could be utterly disastrous, which given the way things have gone in the last year means that'll typically be exactly what we end up, followed by a dreadful summer being trapped here!!! 

There really would be a correlation between the extent of any bad weather and deaths due to people catching COVID that could have been vaccinated. Anyway the weather do as it wishes, I just pray for no snow and extended cold, we've had enough crap to deal with

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

It's really hit me today how many on here are actually seeking a prolonged cold, snowy run of weather.

As opposed to at least a single day of snow on the ground without much thaw, which is all I've been after. Goes to show what the balmy far south and southwest has to contend with! 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
9 minutes ago, Singularity said:

It's really hit me today how many on here are actually seeking a prolonged cold, snowy run of weather.

As opposed to at least a single day of snow on the ground without much thaw, which is all I've been after. Goes to show what the balmy far south and southwest has to contend with! 

I'm chasing 09-10. 29cm max depth, 30 days of cover. Day snow is nice but we can actually get winter here.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Singularity said:

To live through an epic Winter is what many here are hoping for,including me.

3 hours ago, yido said:

I don't currently see much from the output that the usual gritters etc won't cope with.  Things should keep moving well enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

5F6C6417-8F2D-49AB-ACC5-239AE9748B0E.thumb.gif.fd65f77ed9012cf9faa15745ff51d7e8.gif

This chart sums up why I hate Easterlies. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, apophenia said:

Well I live near sea level in the North East and I haven't seen powder snow in more than 10 years, even the Beast was slushy at my altitude.  I suspect this will be no different.

It seems to be increasingly difficult to get any snow that’s vaguely powdery down to sea level these days. I put it down to higher sea temperatures and global warming in general. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Our local papers facebook group (Cheshire Live) cant make up its mind. One day they're warning of floods and more rain to come, next day its snow warnings then its back to the flood warnings. Today they're back to snow warnings. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Is it just me or has this winter ECM just been rubbish? The constant flopping around when we thought we had agreement, then it goes off to spoil the party all to be flopped back again on the next run.. Something has to be going on.. How can GFS be relatively stable (considering) minor up/downgrades and ECM just does a whole pattern change?

HAS TO BE A MILD OUTLIER.. A MASSIVE ONE at the end of the ensembles. 

I love the comments.  When the Ecm shows a total freeze up, it’s the king of the models. When it shows milder conditions, it’s the worse model out there, and it must be an outlier!  

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Valleyboy said:

I love the comments.  When the Ecm shows a total freeze up, it’s the king of the models. When it shows milder conditions, it’s the worse model out there, and it must be an outlier!  

Well my comments are true.. in FI its just a total mess, flip floppy.. completely against other models.. I'd be very surprised if it isn't an outlier..  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

If cold weather is on the way, it would be nice if it could, for once, be dry and sunny with it. This photo of a bridleway half a mile from my house sums up the general depressing crapness of winters in West Sussex.

IMG_20210129_144535.jpg

Edited by al78

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.
2 minutes ago, al78 said:

If cold weather is on the way, it would be nice if it could, for once, be dry and sunny with it. This photo of a bridleway half a mile from my house sums up the general depressing crapness of winters in West Sussex.

IMG_20210129_144535.jpg

Horses need wellies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
Just now, Lynxus said:

Horses need wellies

Unfortunately my bike didn't come with an amphibious conversion kit. Had to turn back and use the main road to get to Barns Green.