Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted

Only post every three years or so but read almost daily the model output thread.

So firstly many thanks to all the posters.

Your posts have helped to feel part of a warm community during lockdown.

Now the moan.

Still no lying snow this winter - and I'm 'up north' given The KLF definition of the north.

Couldn't believe to get nothing off the east/north eastely flow the other couple of weeks. That's always been a banker.

So feeling jealous today, especially with many saying it's good the south finally got some snow. Some of us up north haven't seen any either

Come on that ECM 144 chart.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Wilkybarkid said:

Only post every three years or so but read almost daily the model output thread.

So firstly many thanks to all the posters.

Your posts have helped to feel part of a warm community during lockdown.

Now the moan.

Still no lying snow this winter - and I'm 'up north' given The KLF definition of the north.

Couldn't believe to get nothing off the east/north eastely flow the other couple of weeks. That's always been a banker.

So feeling jealous today, especially with many saying it's good the south finally got some snow. Some of us up north haven't seen any either

Come on that ECM 144 chart.

You are suffering just like me down the road in Scunthorpe too. Apart from a brief wet snow event on 2nd January which was gone as quick as it came we missed out on the snow just over a week ago on the Thursday and was too far west for the other snow event at the start of last week too. Seems after today the only places in the UK now that haven't had any lying snow are areas near the south coast and North Lincolnshire as the east coast got snow around Christmas

• Like 1

Posted

Update from Dudley. Still snowing and has been for 12 hours. Albeit a bit light and patchy for the afternoon. From 6pm snow set back in and the road outside my house which was clear at 5pm is now white over again.   Temp expected to plummet to -6 or -7 later.  I dont work on a Monday so expecting a busy day shovelling snow off the drive!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I feel sorry for those that didn't see snow today and can feel your pain. I am pleased to say that Guildford is out of the 'no snow' club this winter, so hopefully I won't be coming here to rant and rave for a while now!  

What was shaping up to be the 'worst' winter for let-downs and disappointments has now been relegated to a much lower position and I can think of several worse winters such as 1983/84, 2005/06, 2014/15, 2001/02, 1992/93, 2017/18 (December to February only, excluding the extended winter involving March with the two good BFTE set-ups).

I  hope those who are still snow-less have their lucky break soon - there is always February - remember 2006/07, the mildest winter on record, but managed brief but decent cold and two snow events (funnily enough, 24th January, then 8th February), better than the 'cold' but unproductive disappointing winter of 2005/06. There is always hope. However, don't expect rerun of 1962/63 or 1978/79 although February 1986's prolonged cold and snow was surely not predicted at this stage in January and there could be surprises.    

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
2 hours ago, SqueakheartLW said:

You are suffering just like me down the road in Scunthorpe too. Apart from a brief wet snow event on 2nd January which was gone as quick as it came we missed out on the snow just over a week ago on the Thursday and was too far west for the other snow event at the start of last week too. Seems after today the only places in the UK now that haven't had any lying snow are areas near the south coast and North Lincolnshire as the east coast got snow around Christmas

Still a member of the no snow club here on the Lincs coast as well. There’s been snow to the north, snow to the south and snow just a few miles west inland of here. I think there’s some kind of North Lincs snow shield has developed over us. Oh well, roll on summer. 

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

Still a member of the no snow club here on the Lincs coast as well. There’s been snow to the north, snow to the south and snow just a few miles west inland of here. I think there’s some kind of North Lincs snow shield has developed over us. Oh well, roll on summer. 

Its exactly the same here to the North of the Humber. Almost all of lowland East Yorkshire has seen no lying snow this winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
3 minutes ago, reef said:

Its exactly the same here to the North of the Humber. Almost all of lowland East Yorkshire has seen no lying snow this winter.

I sometimes wonder whether us folk on low ground and not far from the coast are the first ones to begin to feel the effects of global warming. I guess it stands to reason with warming seas right on our doorstep. This is the most snowless winter in the 20 years I’ve lived here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

The 'event' started off pretty good, it was 1c, a little sleet, but then the heavy stuff came, with huge flakes coming down hard, and surfaces turning white very fast. A hole in the precip then arrived... but i could see more coming on the radar.

The second batch started as rain, then changed to sleet, and then more big wet flakes.

After another break, more precip arrived, and it was 100 percent rain.

It got daylight outside, still some kind of "slush" on the rooftops. During the day Sunday, the showers were of rain/hail

Nothing to enjoy, unless you enjoyed it, whilst it fell (which i did)

• Like 2

Posted

Still not a flake here either,that low  was in the wrong place for us yesterday,so it dragged milder uppers from the sea,but just 10 or so miles inland it was snow,happens a lot in theses situations.

The chance of a deep cold easterly looks to have gone as well,so might be time to call this winter a bust here,much better further North though.

• Like 1

Posted

Cant move though,the summers are awesome here living by the sea ,despite the fact you miss out on the snow countless times unless you get deep cold air from easterly etc.

Feel sorry for the ski-industry awesome conditions looking at the webcams

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

AS I thought the trend is not in the right direction and ecm well could be the trend setter as mentioned by Nick Sussex...problem is when we do get continental cold we then rarely get the pieces of the puzzle in the right place for us to advect that west. Large barrel like Atlantic depressions are now becoming evident just when you don't want them to be.

The whole of this winter just seems a 'huff and puff' one...been poor for snow or non-existent in my location near the coast and maybe this is the new modern non-Atlantic winter (without sounding like Ian Brown) - though I do appreciate places further north particularly with elevation have certainly faired better, though I read Edinburgh have had 7 snow events!!.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Hi, posted this in MOD thread, but more appropriate here.. 

Hi, I have a question that is sort of model related... reading this thread the possibilities of what’s next is all over the place... with that in mind what did the models show for what actually happened yesterday re 850 temps etc. As much as I’d like a ‘proper’ cold spell, 2 or 3 repeats of yesterday would be great! I appreciate not everyone had snow, but are events like yesterday more likely than proper cold going forward? Compared to last few winters it’s clearly much better, and are repeated events more likely to be more nationwide, even if they only last a day or 2, going into February? I rememberfrom days gone by (perhaps rose tinted childhood memories) that February tend to bring more snow to more people in marginal situations. Thanks, hope the questions aren’t too off topic if anyone has time to answer them.... 

Posted
1 hour ago, snowblizzard said:

Unfortunately, you'll always be at a slight disadvantage in terms of seeing proper snow when living on or close to the Southern coastline! 

Yup that's a cert, nothing this winter down here on the coast, as you say, without some proper cold and a decent easterly, it is a classic 21st century winter weather with mild air and and lots of flooding..

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Really poor here so far north Wirral Merseyside, when you consider a good chunk of the north west has had a handful of 1 - 5cm dustings, we've managed just one graupel/snow mix that lasted less than an hour and by daylight had vanished. Last proper snowfall march 2018.

• Like 1

Posted

Strange winter thus far.  No real bitting cold to speak off  but in this little part of England  we have had many days of snowfall   and two biggish falls of over 10cm.    But the bigger picture  shows that this winter as been a let down for many     Further south  apart from the odd  fall its been very much a 21st century winter.  Hopefully things will improve.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
41 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Strange winter thus far.  No real bitting cold to speak off  but in this little part of England  we have had many days of snowfall   and two biggish falls of over 10cm.    But the bigger picture  shows that this winter as been a let down for many     Further south  apart from the odd  fall its been very much a 21st century winter.  Hopefully things will improve.

It is a strange winter, and although a fair few people in the south haven’t had snow, some of us have! I’m in Gloucestershire, and considered part of the South West,  and have had 4 different snow events that have led to at least a ‘covering’, yesterday morning led to over 3 inches in less than 2 hours, with another slight covering later in the evening when it all came back south. I live in Stroud, which is hilly itself and surrounded by the higher hills of the west Cotswolds. However I do live in the lower part of town, which can often be well below the snow line in marginal events. This winter here, so far, is more like winters I remember in the early 80’s a child. Ok we’ve not had enduring snow, and deep cold, but we’re only really half way though winter, and there may be more and possibly better events coming. Of course there have been a few occasions in the in the last 15 years that have been an exception to the rule with deep cold, but other than those so for this winter has really stood out for me so far as being quite different to most winters of this century. Hope we all get a good few days yet... 

Edited by SilverWolf
Typo! Replaced ‘large teapot’ with rule! Jeez...
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Have to disagree with this nick as I look out of the window here .. 

Large parts of Wales today are under snow.. 

Even swansea has a decent covering which is right on the coast, large swathes of the Midlands right down to London... 

The North East and North West have had laying snow.. 

Scotland has had a few days already as had Northern Ireland...

Barring the far south west of England I'm pretty sure most have done better this year already than we have for a few years. 

Western parts of London did ok yesterday.  I topped at 3cm most of which had vanished by the end of the day due to melt.

For a significant part of the population, this winter has been frustrating.  Promised much but delivered little / nothing.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mulzy said:

Western parts of London did ok yesterday.  I topped at 3cm most of which had vanished by the end of the day due to melt.

For a significant part of the population, this winter has been frustrating.  Promised much but delivered little / nothing.

Yeah 'frustrating' is the right word.  We have long sequences of Atlantic-dominated winters then when one that isn't Atlantic-dominated finally comes along we still somehow fail to get sustained/genuine Arctic air.  Nobody would claim it's been a mild winter, it's just that there's this nagging sense that we were just a few small adjustments away from it being a genuinely great one.  Anyway, at least this way the country has avoided unwanted disruption.

Posted
2 hours ago, Bermuda High said:

Hope all you down south enjoyed the snow.

Looks like thats our fill till next winter. Models firming up on on Atlantic smashing through.

Silly to write off a winter at the end of Jan, many winters have featured cold & snow in Feb & March! At least this gave me a fix, 2018 seems like a long time ago. If only it had been another December 2017 event......(or 2010 but that was amazing!)

• Like 1

As DRGL mentions (and to be fair), the so called "beast from the east"  2018 didn't kick in till late Feb and lasted into early March, and as I hear so often on these forums.....the models are not really giving up anything better than about 10 days out, if that!!!