Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Global warming and regular flooding is something that needs reversing ASAP!

Back in the 1990s we never had such problems even though climate change was already taking place then.

Nowadays you can’t even achieve a prolonged severely cold easterly spell.

Even the 2018 “beast from the east” was pathetic enough to only produce 2 inches of snow in Windsor which didn’t last long!

PATHETIC!!!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Another ‘cold rain’ fest on Sunday for the lowland South East ?‍♂️

“Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Generally cold, light winds and sunny intervals, also widespread overnight frost. Often dry but a spell of rain or snow, Sunday. Turning wet and windy from the west later Tuesday.“

Fast forward to Spring please now. This is getting to too much of a p1s$ take already.

Take a look at the latest video from Michael Fish, he’s showing snow for the SE, and more than one fall. Might all go pear shaped, but there’s a reasonable chance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
23 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Reached 13C here today. It's almost like we're being punished for daring to have a few days of proper winter weather.

Next week is looking better for snow but still too marginal for my liking. And FI had better not come off because it's looking horrendous at the moment (mild again only this time with copious amounts of rain). 

Lovely day here in Prague today, 13°C reached and sunny Nearly all the snow from the previous 10-12 days has gone. Very windy, though and looks like a much chillier week to come with further snow chances (some on the marginal side, to be fair).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Definitely a hint of Spring today as well down here in Kent, Sun getting higher and the daffodils are coming out. Very welcome given the weather of late.

In terms of weather (not astronomical) us Southerners jump straight from Autumn to Spring, if you class winter as no plant growth. Some years there's even an overlap with the flora where you get snowdrops poking through leaf litter.

Also, my thoughts to anyone here affected by flooding, I don't like this time of year but can only imagine the stress to deal with on top of Covid. Fingers crossed for some drier conditions as we head into February.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

All this talk of global warming - always surfaces when we get rubbish winters like 2020/2021 - strange how marginal snow events always verify favourably for M4 northwards and anywhere south generally misses out. This has been a perennial nuisance since I started studying weather from 1982 onward and is nothing new - it has only got worse. Equally strange that global warming should theoretically result in more thunderstorm activity and reality we get less in the Guildford area. Indeed, so-called global warming seems to govern the expected weather types (warmer, wetter, more storms and more interesting extremes) everywhere else in the U.K. except the S.E. which is getting more mediocre, uninteresting and predictable boring weather including missing out. Surely a phenomena like global warming should have a similar impact everywhere - ie. fewer thunderstorms, less snow, less extremes etc over the whole of the UK or conversely the whole of the UK including snow-starved and storm-starved Guildford should be seeing the extremes too. 

Winter 1983/1984 and some others were as bad as this year for missing out on the snow in Guildford / Fleet areas and there was less 'global warming' in those days, and in the early 1970's which were also poor for snow and thunder (1972 was an especially rubbish year in the S.E. and reading the data, 1950/1951 was also a very disappointing marginal winter and much wetter than this year). Still think the rubbish winters, especially in regard to not getting snow / summers without thunderstorms / decent convective weather in Guildford is down to sheer bad luck and bad timing and it is about time that this changed. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
11 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Reached 13C here today. It's almost like we're being punished for daring to have a few days of proper winter weather.

Next week is looking better for snow but still too marginal for my liking. And FI had better not come off because it's looking horrendous at the moment (mild again only this time with copious amounts of rain). 

Ive had about 4C Max but only 2cm from before here in south central Slovakia. waiting for 7cm+ since 2018. Monday Snow downgraded from 25mm to about 4 ať best. The snow dump of Europe with mountains shading every direction of precipitation and no sea to enhance streamers. only luck is high ground nearby got 50cm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Nice and foggy this morning, looks like temperatures won’t get much above 2c here.

Tomorrow let’s see how many flakes we get, the weather front looks very showery so not expecting anything more than a dusting if we’re lucky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

That would be nice tomorrow for my extended walk if the mud was frozen with a little snow on top!

These type of lows such as the one for England and Wales tomorrow are a nightmare to predict as it's not being steered by anything apart from which side has higher pressure. I feel slightly better that the forecast isn't great for my area now, giving some wiggle room. If it was good now you know it would downgrade overnight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, Bradley in Kent said:

That would be nice tomorrow for my extended walk if the mud was frozen with a little snow on top!

These type of lows such as the one for England and Wales tomorrow are a nightmare to predict as it's not being steered by anything apart from which side has higher pressure. I feel slightly better that the forecast isn't great for my area now, giving some wiggle room. If it was good now you know it would downgrade overnight!

Same here - was on for a bullseye hit yesterday and a few cm of snow....morning output is pretty much all south of here now. The rubbish winter continues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, snowblizzard said:

I'm now starting to think how long will it be until we see the first 20c on the tv weather maps?

Possibly only around 30 days!   

In 1986 it didnt hit 20 deg until May!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
2 hours ago, snowblizzard said:

I'm now starting to think how long will it be until we see the first 20c on the tv weather maps?

Possibly only around 30 days!   

Didn’t it hit 20c last February or the one before, so it’s quite possible.....and desirable from my point of view.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
4 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

Didn’t it hit 20c last February or the one before, so it’s quite possible.....and desirable from my point of view.

Yep, temperatures got above 70F in February 2019.  Crazy stuff...

Posted
3 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Even here oop north it reached 19c if I remember right. If that’s not climate change then I don’t know what isn’t. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Yes, with all the positive SSW, MJO, HLB signals, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up seeing the warmest February in history! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
1 minute ago, snowblizzard said:

Yes, with all the positive SSW, MJO, HLB signals, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up seeing the warmest February in history! 

Would make this lockdown a bit more bearable.  Just been miserable weather here all month.

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

That would be great, but we need dry and warm and not wet and warm. 

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, Severe Blizzard said:

All this talk of global warming - always surfaces when we get rubbish winters like 2020/2021 - strange how marginal snow events always verify favourably for M4 northwards and anywhere south generally misses out. This has been a perennial nuisance since I started studying weather from 1982 onward and is nothing new - it has only got worse. Equally strange that global warming should theoretically result in more thunderstorm activity and reality we get less in the Guildford area. Indeed, so-called global warming seems to govern the expected weather types (warmer, wetter, more storms and more interesting extremes) everywhere else in the U.K. except the S.E. which is getting more mediocre, uninteresting and predictable boring weather including missing out. Surely a phenomena like global warming should have a similar impact everywhere - ie. fewer thunderstorms, less snow, less extremes etc over the whole of the UK or conversely the whole of the UK including snow-starved and storm-starved Guildford should be seeing the extremes too. 

Winter 1983/1984 and some others were as bad as this year for missing out on the snow in Guildford / Fleet areas and there was less 'global warming' in those days, and in the early 1970's which were also poor for snow and thunder (1972 was an especially rubbish year in the S.E. and reading the data, 1950/1951 was also a very disappointing marginal winter and much wetter than this year). Still think the rubbish winters, especially in regard to not getting snow / summers without thunderstorms / decent convective weather in Guildford is down to sheer bad luck and bad timing and it is about time that this changed. 

Global warming isn’t real because you don’t get many thunderstorms in Guildford? 

Mate you’ve got to publish a paper on that. Could be a game changer.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Earthshine said:

I can remember walking in shorts and tee-shirt through woodland that was completely leafless and without the sound of wildlife, and the sun never above the tree tops.  It was a strange experience.  

Posted
2 hours ago, davehsug said:

A mass outbreak of wedges in the mad thread. I hope they're better than the ones I fell off in 1975 and broke an ankle!

Yep, there’s more wedgies than I used to get from the school bullies, and more straw clutching than a thatcher about to fall off a roof.

• Like 1

There are some signs a benign dry high will build to the east from 2nd week Feb all the way to spring.  We'll then just be left with the traditional "statistically we get more snow at Easter than Xmas" and "some of our best snowfalls can be in late march" posts to close out the 20-21 season.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Today I didn’t lost hope but I lost a bit of the thrill. Not even looked at any strat charts or so. It has become random somehow, and a bit boring chasing d10 charts.