Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
7 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

But it's nae 'shooting the messenger', it's pointing-out the patently obvious!?

Likewise having to explain sarcasm and humour definitely belongs in the moan thread, did you really not get that it was a joke?  

Or did you just want to moan and have the last word? Probably a thread for that...  

Cheerup

Edited by Griff
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
34 minutes ago, drgl said:

Simply incorrect! We've had two snow events so far, 60m asl.

Agreed. I’m at 30m here and had two decent snow events last week and the week before. Granted this week has been far more about altitude.

It will also depend where you are of course. I’ve got the benefit of being a few degrees north of much of this forum, and not immediately on a coast.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Only three lying snow events here (I'm counting last Saturday as it did no damage and did snow) with 8 days of falling snow.

It won't win any awards for depth or persistence but here near Central Leeds the winter is probably not getting the credit it deserves.

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

I’m actually liking this winter weather wise compared to last year... I’m officially down south in Gloucestershire, and although on the edge of the Cotswolds, not high up where I live. I’ve seen a fair few frosts, and some lying snow 3 times, with a reasonable amount visible on the hills around. I’ve seen snow falling on another occasion as well. This morning I I heard a very loud crack of thunder which woke me up. I heard thunder just a few weeks back. The few really big rain events we’ve had have actually been quite remarkable in their own right - yesterday and Dec 23rd especially. The squall line-then-temperature drop was quite impressive last night, even though it didn’t snow at all here. But I’ve really enjoyed looking at pics/videos of snow around actually quite large parts of the country the last few weeks.

I’m a landscape gardener, and although the flooding has obviously been terrible for people on various parts of the country, overall this winter is nothing like last year rain wise. It was relentless last winter - From early October through to the end of February. It was the worst 6 month period work wise for me in nearly 15 years doing this type of work, purely because of the weather. Very handy just before the first lockdown....! 

Reading between the lines on the MOD thread (about all I can do as my knowledge of the models is nowhere as good as others on here), disillusionment aside, it seems to me that the rest of this winter, even into March, is far from decided yet. Appears very volatile and alternating, which may bring big surprises for everyone, even if they may be transient. Seems a bit more of a ‘traditional’ winter to me (bearing in mind I was born in ‘76, so my memories of traditional winters is probably 1980 onwards...). 

Anyway, happy model watching, don’t get too fatigued! Hope we all have a big dump by winters end (I won’t make the joke I made after a similar comment a few weeks back, it perhaps understandably went down like a lead balloon...).
Take care in these crazy times! 

Edited by SilverWolf
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
4 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

I’m actually liking this winter weather wise compared to last year... I’m officially down south in Gloucestershire, and although on the edge of the Cotswolds, not high up where I live. I’ve seen a fair few frosts, and some lying snow 3 times, with a reasonable amount visible on the hills around. I’ve seen snow falling on another occasion as well. This morning I I heard a very loud crack of thunder which woke me up. I heard thunder just a few weeks back. The few really big rain events we’ve had have actually been quite remarkable in their own right - yesterday and Dec 23rd especially. The squall line-then-temperature drop was quite impressive last night, even though it didn’t snow at all here. But I’ve really enjoyed looking at pics/videos of snow around actually quite large parts of the country the last few weeks.

I’m a landscape gardener, and although the flooding has obviously been terrible for people on various parts of the country, overall this winter is nothing like last year rain wise. It was relentless last winter - From early October through to the end of February. It was the worst 6 month period work wise for me in nearly 15 years doing this type of work, purely because of the weather. Very handy just before the first lockdown....! 

Reading between the lines on the MOD thread (about all I can do as my knowledge of the models is nowhere as good as others on here), disillusionment aside, it seems to me that the rest of this winter, even into March, is far from decided yet. Appears very volatile and alternating, which may bring big surprises for everyone, even if they may be transient. Seems a bit more of a ‘traditional’ winter to me (bearing in mind I was born in ‘76, so my memories of traditional winters is probably 1980 onwards...). 

Anyway, happy model watching, don’t get too fatigued! Hope we all have a big dump by winters end (I won’t make the joke I made after a similar comment a few weeks back, it perhaps understandably went down like a lead balloon...).
Take care in these crazy times! 

Yep, I'm just up the M5 from you and its been pretty cold to me. The top of Cleeve Hill held snow for a week and as you say we've had 3 snow events. No big blizzard but its been OK

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, Eastyorks85 said:

Yer we really have got the short straw so far this winter expecting another mainly snowless winter my memory might be playing tricks on me but cant remember such an dire run of  winters here since 2013 barring 2018 .  It's Snowing and settling quite widely at low levels in the north west to Runcorn, Widnes, Warrington and Crewe this evening. Mad to think less then 100 miles away here the temps are in double figures. It also snowed in Great Yarmouth Cromer and Sheringham right on the Norfolk coast and settled on Saturday so why not here lol. 

Your mind is definitely not playing tricks. As mentioned, the 1981-2010 average is 7 days of lying snow annually at 0900 here.

We've had 8 days in total since March 2013 and no cover over 1cm. Its an atrocious run, about 14% of the number of days that would be expected on average.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Pretty remarkable day, yesterday. 11C at 2pm to 0.3C about 9pm with very heavy snow after a soaking during the day. 

It’s a pity that you can’t link your outside temp to your webcam.would have been very interesting with yesterday’s dramatic drop.

Posted
8 minutes ago, reef said:

Your mind is definitely not playing tricks. As mentioned, the 1981-2010 average is 7 days of lying snow annually at 0900 here.

We've had 8 days in total since March 2013 and no cover over 1cm. Its an atrocious run, about 14% of the number of days that would be expected on average.

Yer it is indeed an awful run managed to get an little snow fix early hours of this morning with an hour and half of snow which gave the smallest covering on bins and car roofs yes it is that bad not sure if got any in your location?

Was more impressive for the fact temps were in double figures two hours before cant say ever seen such an drop in short time. And least can say seen snow because i was half expecting Penzance and Isle of Scillly to have more chance of snow then us way it being going recently.

Posted

A respite from all this wind and rain for the next 5 or so days before the rain returns from Tuesday for pretty much everyday after that. 

Questions;

- Will the dry period be long enough to dry things out so that the ground isn’t so saturated?

- Is there any need for concern of further heavy rain which could cause further flooding? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

For my location so far it's been a colder version of last winter, a few more frosts and a decent rime event from freezing fog. No falling or or settling snow here. I would like to see either snow or a big windstorm to make things at least interesting before a nice warm up come March

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

In Dayton, Ohio,  monthly mean temperatures for January are 27.5 °F (−2.5 °C).

It's currently 50°F (9°C).

We can't even trust Dayton, let alone day ten!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Yep, I'd say we have 8 weeks where snow is a possibility, but only 3 before the sun becomes too strong. 

For anyone living south of the M4 I feel it's safe to say we've passed that opportunity for any prolonged lying snow this winter, however short episodes can't be ruled out. Not the same though past mid-February, yeah it can snow but as soon as the Sun comes out it vanishes in front of your eyes!

Still, today is a month since the solstice, and anyone who recognises me from previous posts will know I'm very much looking forward to seeing the back of winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Marco P's banging the SSW drum again!...as he did at the beginning of this month.

download.jpg

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Everyone on Mod thread looking at 10-12 days for the phantom Easterly when cold is already creeping ever closer from the North on every run. 
wasnt the Atlantic due to come “crashing in” on Monday ?  Seems now late Tuesday ?.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Just popped out of the office at lunch time. Dare I say it a hint of Spring in the air. Bit of warmth on the old back. Sunshine. Cant come quick enough. Had enough of the cold and the dark. 

Spring is a long way off sadly, it's only January 22nd, had enough of quarantine crap, and no release date with weeks and months to come

• Like 1

Posted

Ridiculous temps here. If someone told me it's end of March I would believe him. Snow will be completely gone even from higher grounds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Accepted. But I did say just a 'hint'. And the nights are noticeably lighter now. Getting on towards 5pm yesterday. Yes. Get lockdown sorted. And bring back THE PUB....if there are any left by May....

Getting January out of the way is the very first step, I mean VERY first step of getting quarantine over, Feb is a short month, then March we may know the date of lockdown easing, but not expecting that until around May BH, maybe the date when retail opens, but still yawnfest in full swing for a long time

Posted

A nice frosty start and it was actually sunny this morning.
image.thumb.png.a00cde9aed9c72491ad4ac5d6d9028ed.png
(This is water left behind after the river came over, some floodplain flooding but nothing major here thankfully).

I could live with this. It even felt like the sun was a just a bit higher/stronger today than it would have been a month ago. However, I'd more like to get to Spring and hopefully better or at least improving times.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Another ‘cold rain’ fest on Sunday for the lowland South East ?‍♂️

“Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Generally cold, light winds and sunny intervals, also widespread overnight frost. Often dry but a spell of rain or snow, Sunday. Turning wet and windy from the west later Tuesday.“

Fast forward to Spring please now. This is getting to too much of a p1s$ take already.

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
3 hours ago, daz_4 said:

Ridiculous temps here. If someone told me it's end of March I would believe him. Snow will be completely gone even from higher grounds.

Reached 13C here today. It's almost like we're being punished for daring to have a few days of proper winter weather.

Next week is looking better for snow but still too marginal for my liking. And FI had better not come off because it's looking horrendous at the moment (mild again only this time with copious amounts of rain). 

Edited by AderynCoch