Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted

Let's hope the BBC monthly is wrong..

This rain is tiresome,and if they are right there is going to be heaps more.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted

I’m wondering if I need some happy pills or something to see the potential some in the model thread are talking about, the charts look dreadful for cold and particularly for the dry weather I crave. ?‍♂️ 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

I’m wondering if I need some happy pills or something to see the potential some in the model thread are talking about, the charts look dreadful for cold and particularly for the dry weather I crave. ?‍♂️ 

Its grim isn't it? This winter has to be one of the worst ever in my backyard. It has been cooler than average so far, but still totally snowless. In your normal zonal-type winter its at least quite sunny this side of the Pennines with the odd mild day. This winter has just been cool, persistently wet and dull. Its also had lots of 'marginal' events for snow which are just a kick in the teeth for us as they are always inevitably rain.

And now we have more marginal rubbish, wind and rain to look forward to. I love winter but this is the pits.

Edited by reef
  • Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, reef said:

Its grim isn't it? This winter has to be one of the worst ever in my backyard. It has been cooler than average so far, but still totally snowless. In your normal zonal-type winter its at least quite sunny this side of the Pennines with the odd mild day. This winter has just been cool, persistently wet and dull. Its also had lots of 'marginal' events for snow which are just a kick in the teeth for us as they are always inevitably rain.

And now we have more marginal rubbish, wind and rain to look forward to. I love winter but this is the pits.

Absolutely, it’s been endless deluges down here, obviously being on the south coast I don’t expect much snow wise in winter but I don’t remember such a ‘cold’ winter that seems to have delivered endless rain and dullness with not a single flake falling.

Give me a crisp, sunny winters day at this point and I’ll snap your arm off, one thing I can’t stand in winter is cold rain and where I am that sums up this winter in totality.

im not entirely bothered about snow anymore, I’m bored of the chase and with the vaccine roll out I’ve kind of accepted it’s for the greater good that we have no severe cold this winter, as to avoid delays on delivery’s etc.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
1 hour ago, Weathizard said:

I don’t think you need happy pills to see the potential that some are seeing in the charts. It’s the others that need to stop taking the hallucinogenic pills that’s making them see these fantastic charts that they keep banging on about. The outlook is dreadful, but for rain and not snow.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

This winter here has been the best (snowiest) we have had for several years. We had snow lying from Christmas Eve until a few days ago except a couple of days. Most places in Britain don't get much snow except the odd winter every 10 or 20 years - not sure what you are expecting? Snow tonight too?

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, John in the frozen north said:

This winter here has been the best (snowiest) we have had for several years. We had snow lying from Christmas Eve until a few days ago except a couple of days. Most places in Britain don't get much snow except the odd winter every 10 or 20 years - not sure what you are expecting? Snow tonight too?

I dont expect much, but the 1981-2010 average is about 7 days of snow lying at 0900 for us and we've not had that in the last three winters combined. Its actually over 8 years since we had a cover over 1cm.

I do acknowledge some areas have done well this winter, but its been a 150+m asl winter so far.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

I'm beginning to think this winter is just turning into another 2019/20 at this rate. We all know those deep cold 'DAY 10' charts wont verify. 

All the disappointment of last years wet winter, just a colder version this time around. Seriously fed up of grey skies and everywhere sopping wet. No doubt it’ll be dry for 3 weeks in the spring or summer and we will hear the usual drivel about there being droughts or water shortages.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 5

Posted
4 hours ago, reef said:

Yer we really have got the short straw so far this winter expecting another mainly snowless winter my memory might be playing tricks on me but cant remember such an dire run of  winters here since 2013 barring 2018 .  It's Snowing and settling quite widely at low levels in the north west to Runcorn, Widnes, Warrington and Crewe this evening. Mad to think less then 100 miles away here the temps are in double figures. It also snowed in Great Yarmouth Cromer and Sheringham right on the Norfolk coast and settled on Saturday so why not here lol. 

• Like 1

Posted

The North West basically encountered a nor'easter event like how the states have it. Went from mild temperatures at 12c around 3pm to whiteout and 6cm of snow. 

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Frigid said:

The North West basically encountered a nor'easter event like how the states have it. Went from mild temperatures at 12c around 3pm to whiteout and 6cm of snow. 

I’ve literally just noticed it here 5 minutes ago here in south Derbyshire. It was 11C earlier and now it’s like a blizzard. I’ve never seen anything like it It’s not even very cold really

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry to derail the thread but last night shows the knife edge it is to get good snowfall in large parts of the U.K. sure we can chase deep cold but very often that is also just dry and frosty for most people. This has been our best winter here snow event wise since 2018 and we’ve not really had a cold easterly which is usually what it takes. Keep the faith 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

A month of sunny, frosty  weather weather would suit me fine Having to listen to some clown telling me that it's going to p.. S down in one breath, but don't worry it'll be 11 degrees in another is getting on my nerves. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
3 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

Keep the faith 

My faith is dwindling on this winter...it's promised but not delivered in terms of snow around my neck of the woods, a few cold days down here but nothing too noteworthy. It has that feel of a 2018/19 winter as we approach February and we know how that ended!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

My faith is dwindling on this winter...it's promised but not delivered in terms of snow around my neck of the woods, a few cold days down here but nothing too noteworthy. It has that feel of a 2018/19 winter as we approach February and we know how that ended!

What information currently exists to indicate notable warmth for February? Please, I’d love you to share the charts. Or is this merely frustration?!

Posted

"The snow will come out, tomorrow

Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow

There will be snoooooow.

Tomorrow tomorrow i love ya tomorrow

You're only 10 days awaaaaaaaaay"

I fangew 

Edited by Wynter
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
3 minutes ago, draztik said:

What information currently exists to indicate notable warmth for February? Please, I’d love you to share the charts. Or is this merely frustration?!

Well there is a chance of a stronger Azores high presence next week and ecm is currently pointing towards more of an Atlantic influence...not saying we'll see warmth such as Feb 2019 but I'd say current output is less encouraging than it has been for sometime. Remember going into Feb 2019 - encouraging MetO outlooks, good ec46 charts? on the back of a January SSW.

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Very late in the run, but maybe a weak MJO response on the OP.

It's a shame the para run has got stuck at 102.

gfsnh-0-342 (5).png

See post further up.

There is no MJO movement.  They're false signals caused by Kelvin waves.

With no MJO and a failed SSW, there is little cheer and we can maybe hope for an early Strat final warming to bring some late Winter promise into early March.

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

See post further up.

There is no MJO movement.  They're false signals caused by Kelvin waves.

With no MJO and a failed SSW, there is little cheer and we can maybe hope for an early Strat final warming to bring some late Winter promise into early March.

Please no spring time winter again!  

Depends on people’s location I don’t know if the rest of the U.K. is similar but the relentless dullness and rain is really quite depressing, hopefully the heights to our south can push north enough and gives us a dry/clear period, the ECM seems keen on it influencing the south for a time later next week at least.

Dry, clear weather seems more common in February than most winter months down here so I’m hoping for better things from next month, sod cold rain and marginal garbage.

Posted
19 hours ago, reef said:

I do acknowledge some areas have done well this winter, but its been a 150+m asl winter so far.

Simply incorrect! We've had two snow events so far, 60m asl.

• Like 1