Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
38 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Say hello to uncle Bartlett. Looks like an early spring coming up...

D65EA3C6-8872-4466-88D0-0A6814CAB620.png

I’d LOVE to have seen the reaction if you posted that in the main thread

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Im really hoping the forecasted rain levels don't materialise as my mum has the River Aire running at the bottom of her garden and I don't want a repeat of 2015! Last time the pumps and flood doors held up and kept it out so fingers crossed it does the same again....Just give me snow please I don't mind that...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

Wet and windy throughout Wednesday, with gales in places. Colder and blustery for a time into Thursday, ahead of a drier, less windy, but much colder end to the week.

The reason why the wording 'much colder' by MetO as it will be mild beforehand - probably 10/11c in the south then returning to 4/5c so in all reality not that cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

BBC weather very boyant about snow only for Scotland with the rest of the UK sinking under a deluge of rain for much of the week. I admire the optimism in the Model thread but would have money on a bartlett verifying over deep cold at the moment. I would love to be wrong, as personally I don't enjoy having spring weather in winter months and vice versa 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

BBC weather very boyant about snow only for Scotland with the rest of the UK sinking under a deluge of rain for much of the week. I admire the optimism in the Model thread but would have money on a bartlett verifying over deep cold at the moment. I would love to be wrong, as personally I don't enjoy having spring weather in winter months and vice versa 

Its most definitely all rain away from flavoured spots up north England and Scotland. <1% midlands south I would say.

1 hour ago, Darren Vidamour said:

Im really hoping the forecasted rain levels don't materialise as my mum has the River Aire running at the bottom of her garden and I don't want a repeat of 2015! Last time the pumps and flood doors held up and kept it out so fingers crossed it does the same again....Just give me snow please I don't mind that...

Darren be prepared is my advice, get hold of those pumps and ensure they are fully functional!

Next few weeks and now likely February could be very very wet, perhaps record breaking.

Posted

I seriously think the possibility of any Beast reaching as far my area in West Lancashire. The Atlantic is too strong due probably to La nina? My relations just 75 miles near Catterick sent snaps of many days of deep snow in N Yorkshire. Why 75 miles makes a difference escapes me. I. Have really never understood greater Manchester weather. On Sussex coast. I lived for 45 years. Was dry and cold especially in winter. With many snowy outbreaks in my school days. Also serious very heavy thunder storms in summer, which caused huge disruption and power cuts. Lancashire don't get thunder storms thank goodness because they scare me, and caused my dogs were traumatised one day after bolt took off a chimney stack 1000yards away. Blowing our power, burnt plugs and smoking hired colour TV. 

My old man a seaman told me it's always colder the North than the South. But in my many years since going through the 63 winter. It appears to me, that might have not been true. But it certainly was in the sixties with bonfire night very frosty and needing gloves and scarf. My windy charts up to 25th January show nothing in the way of anything but mild westerly at 9%c. Ssw seems to be more hype than actual weather actually in line with a SSW which should by now be starting to turn to easterly direction. Which has still not been seen even in summer. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 hours ago, DCee said:

Darren be prepared is my advice, get hold of those pumps and ensure they are fully functional!

Next few weeks and now likely February could be very very wet, perhaps record breaking.

Sadly I can see some of my favourite parts of the country (Calder Valley - Mytholmroyd/Hebden Bridge) in real danger of yet another catastrophic flood this week with unrelenting rains. I hope they are spared this time around, the region has suffered enough in recent years.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Sadly I can see some of my favourite parts of the country (Calder Valley - Mytholmroyd/Hebden Bridge) in real danger of yet another catastrophic flood this week with unrelenting rains. I hope they are spared this time around, the region has suffered enough in recent years.

Yes it looks a shocker I'd agree. Hopefully the flood defences and dredging will have helped

• Like 2

Posted

More mild dirge on the ECM = more vaccines given and quicker we are out of this hell!

I’ll settle for that, hopefully that Iberian slug can slime over us for a few weeks as well to reduce the heating bill and mean I won’t get bloody wet every time I go out for a jog.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
1 hour ago, Weathizard said:

More mild dirge on the ECM = more vaccines given and quicker we are out of this hell!

I’ll settle for that, hopefully that Iberian slug can slime over us for a few weeks as well to reduce the heating bill and mean I won’t get bloody wet every time I go out for a jog.

Hallelujah to this post

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Am pinning the law of averages that its not going to be so bad.My unit is in Luddendenfoot next to the river Calder just a mile downstream from Mytholmroyd and we got flooded in February 2020.Am sure the new defences at Mytholmroyd  will be testedbut am in south Lincolnshire tomorrow and hoping i dont get a call whilst 2 hours from home that my things are getting wet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

My book the South East and the pointless expectancy will be out next week.

And will feature charts such as this. 

gensfr-0-2-324.thumb.png.22a49e45145652412db2d36b256f8268.png

and this. 

gensfr-0-2-348.thumb.png.d86db8acf0c66f9ffc22fca8aaafaf3f.png

Posted
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Looks like the rest of January will be normal weather. Getting closer to spring...

BBF74310-33DB-4FD0-8CD8-5A4CDF479AC1.png

Yep. Checked the models this morning for about 2 minutes - nothing interesting again, so switched off. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Morning all

Must be hell on earth being a snow lover in SW/S/SE England! Hopefully you all see some decent depths of snowfall before Winter is over.

On the plus side you get tropical days/nights in Summer - not a bad trade off! (I am a warm/hot weather lover also! )

Great Winter up here so far! I am at sea level on the West coast so not a particularly snowy spot to be in! Luckily (especially in these times) I am surrounded by hills/mountains so a local walk can take me up to high ground fairly quickly! Couple of recent pictures.

8DA31407-61BF-46E3-A7B0-0497486FBE46.thumb.jpeg.664408ba5600c9faca47bb9682cc1902.jpeg

FFC29CE9-67A9-478C-AB95-B2E66723B418.thumb.jpeg.30f9b4dd17b252d48ecba11e02a805d7.jpeg

Cold with wintry potential for the foreseeable up here so not a bad outlook either! Once it gets to mid March the hunt for Spring warmth/sunshine begins for me.

All the best to you all.

• Like 8

Posted

ECM 12z 168 hrs onwards showing a fluctuating final week to January from the Atlantic 

low pressure systems.Matt Hugo on Twitter reasonably sure no +AO + NAO going forward.

MJO possibly moving  into 5- 6-7 territories good sign for cold weather fans.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

My biggest fear is that after all this rain, followed by potentially higher temps should the euro high move up, we end up seeing the series of SSW’s start to effect our weather into March and we end up with a cold and miserable Spring. This would be old Sod’s law as they say....

• Like 1

Posted

It’s absolutely lovely outside today. Glimmers of sunshine, breeze and 12c. I know it’s not going to last, but a gentle reminder to me that spring isn’t really that far away. 40 days and counting...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, snow mad said:

February the new promised land....... puts tin hat on and runs away...

Just chasing rainbows mate!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
31 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It’s absolutely lovely outside today. Glimmers of sunshine, breeze and 12c. I know it’s not going to last, but a gentle reminder to me that spring isn’t really that far away. 40 days and counting...

long way off yet! advantage that Feb has 28 days, but we're not even in Feb yet, 40 days we may have a date to when this boring crap is going to end, to get Midlands into tier 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Morning all

Must be hell on earth being a snow lover in SW/S/SE England! Hopefully you all see some decent depths of snowfall before Winter is over.

On the plus side you get tropical days/nights in Summer - not a bad trade off! (I am a warm/hot weather lover also! )

Great Winter up here so far! I am at sea level on the West coast so not a particularly snowy spot to be in! Luckily (especially in these times) I am surrounded by hills/mountains so a local walk can take me up to high ground fairly quickly! Couple of recent pictures.

8DA31407-61BF-46E3-A7B0-0497486FBE46.thumb.jpeg.664408ba5600c9faca47bb9682cc1902.jpeg

FFC29CE9-67A9-478C-AB95-B2E66723B418.thumb.jpeg.30f9b4dd17b252d48ecba11e02a805d7.jpeg

Cold with wintry potential for the foreseeable up here so not a bad outlook either! Once it gets to mid March the hunt for Spring warmth/sunshine begins for me.

All the best to you all.

I wouldn’t totally agree with the weather being great down south in summer. We had a very decent sunny April and May last year, early June continued on that fine note. And to be fair, it was the best sunny spell since 2018, but the summer of 2020 was disappointing.

After the hot and sunny start to June, the weather went downhill, with plenty of overcast damp days, and barely scraping 20c(that’s poor in my book). We had to wait until the last week of june for things to pick up, with a few days of hot weather. Some people complained it was too hot, while I was hopping it would stick around. July was another poor month, with plenty of days of dull and cool weather. Eastbourne only managed to scrap a 15-16c in mid July, and we were freezing. 

Last day of July until second week of August ushered in another hot spell(longer than late June) with a few nights of 20-21c, and a number of days touching 35, with some notable thunderstorms on and off. After this however, the summer deteriorated into a dull and cloudy mess. 

A good summer is not always a guarantee down south. We haven’t had a decent one since 2018 in my opinion. 

• Like 3