Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 minute ago, snowspotter said:

No my friend : not sure how old your memory is but February 1991 was a mild month just with a monster easterly sandwiched in it . A real winter spell. A whole months of average or below by 1c just won’t do anything . Averages don’t define snow events . Wouldn’t you rather have two weeks mild and sunny and 2 weeks of a beast from the east and an average overall. Or a below average same every day for a month with no snow . That’s what I’m saying 

Feb 1991 looks like a cold month to me. Below average temps every day apart from the last week, where it was average to mild. A mean of 2.5c is about 3c below average - a massive anomaly in our climate.

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Résumé mensuel des observations météo ( températures minimales et maximales, précipitations et ensoleillement) de la station London / Heathrow (UK) ( United Kingdom )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Don't get to down hearted folks..The models still look predisposed to Blocking,and a Stly tracking jet looks likely.

While I'm at it...go check the Exeter update for next week...massive upgrade..pick the bones out of that GFS.

giphy-1.gif

• Like 5

Posted

The best way I can describe the mid term 6 - 12 days out look is that it's becoming ever more normal really. Wind potential aside neither particularly cold nor mild.

Just run of the mill deep depressions.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, The Eagle said:

The best way I can describe the mid term 6 - 12 days out look is that it's becoming ever more normal really. Wind potential aside neither particularly cold nor mild.

Just run of the mill deep depressions.

back to normal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
On 09/01/2021 at 17:01, markyo said:
7 hours ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Oh dear I think we need some therapy for folk especially after the nightmares of this morning's models 

Slots will hopefully be available soon as it's currently full with the "nailed on" syndrome 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

Oh lord! What a rubbish

Look at these 850s in Mid Sweden by the 21th.

Even the most extreme warm ensembles did not have so high 850s..

It's a joke.. Oh and yes promises again after 240hr... Not gonna happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

And so a swing back to a colder outlook this evening ...

I would suggest there are going to be lots of twists and turns over the next 48 hours...

May I suggest you not get caught up in the model drama buddy because it was only a few hours ago it was game over after 1 or 2 bad runs. 

I understand it might be hard though  because we all love the chase but iv learnt not to give knee jerk reactions, mainly because it was 6am this morning and it was litterely the LAST thing I wanted to see so early lol

• Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

May I suggest you not get caught up in the model drama buddy because it was only a few hours ago it was game over after 1 or 2 bad runs. 

I understand it might be hard though  because we all love the chase but iv learnt not to give knee jerk reactions, mainly because it was 6am this morning and it was litterely the LAST thing I wanted to see so early lol

Where did I say game over ?

I may have said there was downgrades on the 00z runs? 

Which there was. 

I'm happy to be wrong though!

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Don't get to down hearted folks..The models still look predisposed to Blocking,and a Stly tracking jet looks likely.

While I'm at it...go check the Exeter update for next week...massive upgrade..pick the bones out of that GFS.

giphy-1.gif

Looks cr@p. Cold rain.

• Like 1

Posted

I have just watched the Met Office 10 day trend video ... great explanation and charts of the atmosphere... still a strong chance of wintry weather next depending on the dip of the jet stream ...so much more clarity than some of the stuff on the MOD chart ..I swear if I see another day 10 chart with BOOM on it I will kick the cat!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Best bet is just ignore gfs now and stick with the MET and the computers they use for longer range, gfs in fl especially is just too inconsistent and the ensembles no good, either, flip_floping all the time 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Massive improvement compared to the 06z set! (Below)  Looks like the ensembles are as fickle as the ops at the moment though! 

FDC3086B-3080-4D47-8138-173F1A39EB35.jpeg

There’s hardly any below -10c unlike the proper winter in 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
39 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Sean siberian blast is probably right.

I do get a tad bit polar , I'm sorry guys.

Anyway, I'm going to take a back seat as this drama unfolds...

I'm back to saying come ON ecm !!

Hopefully as many as possible see some snow soon...

You got this lad

Let's hope for a good snowy period moving forward, re the bi polar im already on that waggon lad so ?‍♂️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
4 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

You got this lad

Let's hope for a good snowy period moving forward, re the bi polar im already on that waggon lad so ?‍♂️

I have a theory that  many weather enthusiasts are PTSD or something similar. I suffer from PTSD from the forces and other bygone events. 

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

There’s hardly any below -10c unlike the proper winter in 2010.

I’m not expecting much in the way of a deep freeze with sun -10 uppers to be honest. I’m expecting a decent chance of snow for most over the next few weeks though. Personally I’m happy with uppers of -6, DP of 0c and temp of 1c. Nice and fresh, out for walks in the snow and sledging with the kids ...and no insaine heating bills ..what’s not to like ??‍♂️ I guess IMBYism comes into this kind of discussion though because if you live at sea level along the south coast you need something quite special for settling snow. If you’re In the peak district at 500m ASL you just need a slightly southerly tracking jet and it’s game on for snow ??‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
30 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

??‍♂️ I guess IMBYism comes into this kind of discussion though because if you live at sea level along the south coast you need something quite special for settling snow.  ??‍♂️

Quite right there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

Looks cr@p. Cold rain.

Really... Maybe in the South... But to me it looks like big snow risks on the northern edges.. But yes it doesn't look great in your backyard.. 

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Even with crap uppers ECM 12z is quite wintry for northern half of country. What I would say there is something for someone.

83991A23-652A-465E-A59E-A4C33C45C194.thumb.png.116a56d067de1c55ceedd15172098413.png

Lol ! Have you thought of becoming a spin doctor ! I admire your attempts to stop a flood of NW members to the helpline . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
12 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Again, it's best not to look past T96.

Genuine questions:

1. If the Atlantic is so dead, why are we having all these issues with low pressures coming at us. What is this talk of recersal?

2, Is the UK a statistical anomaly, since it requires more luck than anywhere else of a similar latitude to get cold in?

Reversal doesn't mean that everything comes at us from the east, be great for cold if it did, although a bit too cold like Kamchatka!

We have a big Luke warm bath to the west of us which makes us a temperate climate, similar to somewhere like Seattle

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

As Matt Hugo stated charts are finding it very hard due to the atmosphere running wild 

and SSW causing lots of problems.Once again fax charts upto 120 hrs best bet to save disappointment.

For the sanity of all on this forum we need an answer 

• Like 3