Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted

Just checked the EPS mean temps for London on the  'when the supposed action starts'  date of the 20th and for the subsequent 6 days it ranges between 4 and 4.6.  Snow ? Negligible.

Oh well always Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Sorry that's not true there are runs that hit -10 and these are on the south coast.

Wow! talk about splitting hairs! you got a few members from an ensemble which gets to -10 850's - get the bunting out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
3 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Wow! talk about splitting hairs! you got a few members from an ensemble which gets to -10 850's - get the bunting out.

And a lot more between -5 and -10 wait for the next run and I will be getting out my

Posted

Not sure where to put this, there is a certain weather forecaster on BBC on just now, who can't seem to utter the word snow, in the long range forecast just now, for next week snow mainly for high ground in the north.. really... no!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Waiting for the effects of the 2021 SSW to kick in.

0BC32C5E-3145-4181-8621-B9DC3BA06B81.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
6 hours ago, YellowSnow said:

Gfs 18z .......Nailed!

Gfs 0z ......... F FS!  

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Looks like the signal for a severe cold spell is diminishing by the day with fewer members going below -10c and more milder options appearing.

0D9356A4-E0AC-4B88-B5E2-40CEA4682F51.png

I commented yesterday that the models took a backward step for a cold spell.  This trend is now firmly on the table and if this continues on the next few runs, then we’ll be looking at a much milder outlook.  It’s fine to drool over charts that are 10 days out, but it’s going to be a long winter of model watching, we’ve all been here before, when eventually that freeze up that’s 10 days away, takes us into spring time.

Posted

Why do we bother?

Gone from ‘nailed on’ a day or two back, to now the usual cracks are starting to appear with delays / filling lows / less cold uppers etc. 
I expect we’ll hear the reason is something like the next ssw split has knocked the promising synoptics off their perch

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Still wonder why so much faith is put into these models. About as much use as a chocolate teapot. Laughable really. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Why do we bother?

Gone from ‘nailed on’ a day or two back, to now the usual cracks are starting to appear with delays / filling lows / less cold uppers etc. 
I expect we’ll hear the reason is something like the next ssw split has knocked the promising synoptics off their perch

Also gone from 'a top 10 cold spell ' to one I can't remember already...10 degrees, wind and rain here again, last weeks 2 frosts a distant memory

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, winterfreak said:

Just gotta laugh, cry otherwise.

Overrated anyway snow

• Like 1

Posted

Ah, the classic BOOM chart as in the sound of a crash into the wall in full speed. I guess February has potential right? Right?

image.thumb.png.c1a39164465589f2e0476751b5ea56ed.png

• Like 2

Posted

Very interesting statistics from Laura Tobin on GMB this morning regarding global warming.

The degree of warming over the last 100 years is absolutely staggering!

It seems like summer heatwaves are now likely every other year on average.

Surely, these changes are bound to affect UK winters.

Severe winters in UK have always been very rare 1947, 1962/63

Severe cold spells like January 1987 & February 1991 would happen every 5-10 years on average.

I don't believe we will ever see another winter like 1947 or 1962/63 in our lifetime.

And, severe cold spells like January 1987 & February 1991 could possibly only happen once in every 15-25 years.

At the moment we are seeing some of the most favourable NH winter synoptics for several years but there's a lack of deep cold around the UK

As a severe cold & snowy weather fanatic, I find the situation really quite depressing.  ☹️

Edited by snowblizzard

8 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

The problem really is that the colds arrival was always in FI which at the moment is 144.

I think we have been drawn in because the Stella FI charts coincided with expected effects of the SSW, had their been no SSW then we would have been more suspicious.

still time for things to flip back yet and at least this wobble had occurred at the outer reaches of the reliable timeframe rather than FI.

For mr the worry for the last few days has been the rise in Iberian heights, you really don’t want that winter killer because it can become so stubborn.

let’s wait for the evening runs before throwing in the towel but I have a bottle of 14% Red on the table and this is going to get opening this afternoon if the current trend is maintained.

Keep the faith a bit longer guys

andy

I would agree with this but Matt Hugos tweet this morning was quiet uninspiring and i would of said he likes a little ramp as regards cold.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Windysun1 said:

But then you could add well whos matt hugo

It’s those ramps from people like that get folks over excited in terms of cold prospects.

We need a lot more balance sometimes in here. We are not all experts in meteorology and models, but being around here for a long time gives you a lot of previous situations on which to draw.

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Looks like the signal for a severe cold spell is diminishing by the day with fewer members going below -10c and more milder options appearing.

0D9356A4-E0AC-4B88-B5E2-40CEA4682F51.png

I thought it was nailed on lol 

Just goes to show you cannot say something is nailed on 7 days away there is too much changing in the models run to run.

Edited by Blessed Weather
Unnecessary comment removed
  • Like 6

Posted
8 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Unbelievable. No beating around the bush from me . What a downgrade across the board . Not just 1 or 2 wobbles , the runs across the board are terrible compared to yesterday . Can’t believe how flat it’s gone in the mid range . Time to have a break , these  false dawns are frustrating the hell out of me man

9CA3F124-7E12-47C0-85AC-4EBA148654E8.png

27CDD6B2-4451-420C-A23A-099E20213FFA.png

8CB54990-554D-40F5-95D9-5232CD0ABC7F.png

Remember the midnight runs always are poor, let's wait for this afternoon runs, before throwing in the towel on another failed very cold spell,if they follow this morning runs, then it's probably game over, but still time to get a chance of some proper bitter weather. 

Weird  since this was a "nailed-on cold spell" it appears to have all going wrong! 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

image.thumb.png.1f057db14aa526e58352ec350edb0144.png

not liking this run (which follows on from the same theme).  Basically, the cold is lessening, run by run,  from the ens mean in the 7/10 day period ........

Feels like its unravelling Nick...

And I'm not sure Exeter saw this coming either judging by the upgrade yesterday ...

Todays update will be interesting to say the very least, I suspect they will stick with the script but a big 24 hours for coldies coming up...it about time we had some luck!!!

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted

Oh well it was fun while it lasted - at least (a) I didn’t tell friends and family we were heading for another 1947 and (b) the winter tyres are still on hold 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I do giggle at some of the posts on here 1 or  2 days of good cold runs and the mood is sky high then just 1 bad run and winter is over !!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1