Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Yes, my allegiance from Cold to warmth usually changes 31st March, however this year it will be brought foreword to 31st Jan. From then Ill be looking for a quick introduction of Spring so people can get out and about. If were going to have a last blast of winter I'm hoping it will be the last week of Jan.

31 Jan, a long way away, but could be very first step in getting quarantine over, (don't mean normality just mean tier 3) as Feb only has 28 days so shorter time, then whole of March 31 days, but at least then going in right direction

Posted

I prefer snowstorms in December and January and milder weather in February and March. But don’t mind occasional wintry weather until March 31. By April I want warm weather

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
3 hours ago, General Cluster said:

A selection of lovely charts here, from today's GFS 0Z... But, they're between T+270 and 384hrs, so hardly 'nailed on' IMO:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

And here are the GEFS Temp Ensembles, which (after a spell of marginality) fly off in all directions... Nailed? Really?

t850Buckinghamshire.png    t2mBuckinghamshire.png

But, on the other hand, the NH Profiles still show promise:

npsh500mean-006.png    npsh500mean-120.png

npsh500mean-240.png    npsh500mean-384.png

Think the models are like my head....all over the place! Do we want "nailed on" big freeze ( not that my humble understandings see that yet) or do we want a boring mild fest which will at least allow as many vulnerable  people as possible to get out there and get their vaccine? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Speaking for self interest, I am perfectly content with a 47 repeat. 

• Like 4

Posted

Talk about people quick to jump onto the moans backstabbing band wagon all of 1 comment based on 1 shoddy start on the icon of all models. They must of been waiting all day to say that.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Rather surprisingly, wishing for something doesn't do anything to actually bring it on!  If it did we'd have Narnia every winter and Barbados every summer!

I'd like to see a 47 winter, but although we've had a chilly couple of periods in this winter so far, I think every harsh prolonged winter is preceded by the BFTE occasionally exercising its muscle over the UK before moving in for the kill.

I don't see that as the case this winter. Hoping we get a couple of weeks of real proper winter. one that will give kids today some of the memories we have when they are older. But I don't see us getting anything  near the scale of 47.  Until we do, I will keep wishing for it because I want to experience one in my lifetime.

Posted
10 minutes ago, knocker said:

Given that euphoria brought on by too much 'sniffing the coffee' has now become an art form, a quick reminder that counselling is still available, Mon-Frid, at the 'nailed on' clinic

Very good!

Twas a LOL moment there, thanks.

Posted
6 minutes ago, NeilN said:

That sounds lovely! I was only 1 at the time it happened, but my parents said it was a brutal winter month. Even if a watered down version more like 2010, 1996 or 2018 would be nice too. 

Just 12, so way to young to participate. My uncle did.

Edited by sebastiaan1973
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Given that euphoria brought on by too much 'sniffing the coffee' has now become an art form, a quick reminder that counselling is still available, Mon-Frid, at the 'nailed on' clinic

If this “nailed on” “oven ready” cold spell goes bottoms up this time they’ll have to double the staff on the switchboard at The Samaritans.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
Posted

To be honest, a big freeze with snowstorms is probably what the country doesn't need right now.. with millions trying to keep vaccination appointments, or keep food delivery/click & collect appointments where I assume delays may mean the supermarkets might not be able to get to everyone.

Then again... it may reduce mixing further so may help in that respect? as long as people don't all gather to play in the snow.

However I don't do 'weather guilt tripping' so I will still enjoy it if it does happen (it won't change anything), especially as there's little else to do at the moment! However, I think I have to also be happy for it not happen this year.

I'll just remember current the scenes in the MOD thread, next time it's suggested I shouldn't enjoy/find interest in Atlantic weather because it may cause a bit of disruption! 

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

If you have been affected by tonight’s gfs 18z and need help and support, please phone blah blah blah. Or better still just wait for the 06z

Edited by YellowSnow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
4 hours ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

If only this was Snow 

image.png

I know what you mean but it doesn’t quite work like that... if only it did!

Posted
1 minute ago, Barmada_Casten said:

I know what you mean but it doesn’t quite work like that... if only it did!

Ha, I know, just having a bit of a moan as would be nice too see the radar like that one day when it is actual snow...can always dream 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.
11 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Ha, I know, just having a bit of a moan as would be nice too see the radar like that one day when it is actual snow...can always dream 

Hopefully one day

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
8 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Speaking for self interest, I am perfectly content with a 47 repeat. 

I'd definitely take an August 1947 repeat this year!

• Like 1

Posted

So far this is a repeat of last winter.

Nothing much in the way of snow.

The model threads straw clutching, or relying on SSW to give us a proper spell of below freezing weather with snow.

You know it's going to be a poor winter when SSW get's mentioned in the model thread.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, 'ColdIsBest' said:

So far this is a repeat of last winter.

Nothing much in the way of snow.

The model threads straw clutching, or relying on SSW to give us a proper spell of below freezing weather with snow.

You know it's going to be a poor winter when SSW get's mentioned in the model thread.

It seriously isn’t my coldest max temp last winter was 6C, this January alone opening 10 days were colder than that. No snow well seen some falling, it’s been a lot more seasonal, early and late December was chilly as well. Chilly periods have dominated so far.

• Like 3

Posted

i  know  it looks like a nouthing   map  but in about 7  days  time in my way of looking  at things  could go  BOOM!!!!  if  the gfs is right!?️

gfs-2-204.png