Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
9 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Someone actually posted that it was 'the models keeping the cold away from the UK '

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

That's the first one on my bingo...lets see what else can be marked off in the coming days....I'm going for 'incoming' next.

I bags "more runs needed"

• Like 2

It's like amateur dramatics society over on the model forum.

But then they are amateurs and only looking for one outcome so have to forgive them. Some informative posts in amongst the noise though. 

I noticed alot of negativity about the BBC temps recently but they correlated well in my area, inc the weather from days out.

I would take the bbc weather over any forecast from the model thread any day.

Edited by DCee

1 hour ago, snowlessayr said:

BBC literally use raw ECM data. If you watch the forecast it is the exact same as the latest ECM. Their stick is deserved imo, their forecast have been pretty awful at times since they switch from the met office.

Their are a fair few in the MOD that have either a degree in meteorology or in a few cases an ex forecaster so to call them all amateurs is very naive and quite disrespectful

Interesting didnt know that (or bothered to check), my area is Cambridge and their forecasts have been spot on throughout. 

Posted

It seems likely that the return to milder, westerly weather will be short-lived over points North of the Scottish Border, however by Wednesday the drift of air mass will be of a southerly source for a short time, very weak and then its looking like a free for all thereafter  as the Atlantic is sleeping and the SSW is playing away from home and not being a good Beast provider.

Edited by MildCarlilse
Grammar
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

Looking at these amazing images from the center of Madrid (best snowfall since 1963) reminds you that everything is possible regardless the ongoing climate change and global warming.

35cms and keeps going.

You just need luck, lows and highs at the  right position. Of course probably these events get more rare, but they will happen again.

Tip: Search for "Madrid" location in Instagram. Incredible pictures are being uploaded by folks there.

Webcam : 

social313.jpg
WWW.SKYLINEWEBCAMS.COM

Imposing view on crossroads the Gran Via and Calle de Alcalá

137209366_713775095805322_8303515717910062234_n.jpg

137227326_713775159138649_2040568110756577874_o.jpg

137248682_713775039138661_1096757965794867281_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted

For no reason at all I have a good feeling about what’s to come, the cold is closer to the east now and it won’t take much for us to get amongst it. Reckon a week or so and we’ll be in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
1 hour ago, saintkip said:

For no reason at all I have a good feeling about what’s to come, the cold is closer to the east now and it won’t take much for us to get amongst it. Reckon a week or so and we’ll be in.

I think there’s certainly more optimism now than there has been over the last week or so. We all need to keep our sensible heads on though. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS ARE AT IT ALREADY:

Heavy snow forecast as weather 'major event' heading towards UK - Manchester Evening News

(Not letting me paste the url for some reason)

Edited by 38.7°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm thinking we could be in for a rather exciting winter, this time... look at how similar (though predicted Uppers are very much lower) to last week's rather tame cold spell (WAA into Eastern Europe effectively pinning cold over/near the UK?) this would be:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Could this be a recurring theme, of the coming winter? I don't know! But, another thing that piqued my interest, was something @Kirkcaldy Weather posted, some months' back... 1963 was only 'severely cold' in Western, Southwestern Europe and Scandinavia -- the East being near to normal...?

Just saying! And hoping!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted

This spell of weather has been about as I expected here really. A few nice frosts, then mostly cloudy with the easterly, 4-5C maxima and 1-2C minima. Now a few more frosts at the easterly relaxes. A bit of snow on Dartmoor.

The marginal temps were always in the model output, suggestions of much more for the south was probably model thread hype.

Turning less cold next week but after that? who knows. I try not to get sucked into this day 10+ chase anymore though, let alone 'potential'. If it's showing at day 5/6 I'll take interest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
10 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I'm thinking we could be in for a rather exciting winter, this time... look at how similar (though predicted Uppers are very much lower) to last week's rather tame cold spell (WAA into Eastern Europe effectively pinning cold over/near the UK?) this would be:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Could this be a recurring theme, of the coming winter? I don't know! But, another thing that piqued my interest, was something @Kirkcaldy Weather posted, some months' back... 1963 was only 'severely cold' in Western, Southwestern Europe and Scandinavia -- the East being near to normal...?

Just saying! And hoping!:drunk-emoji:

Trying to think back to that Pete my post not that winter of 62 not anywhere near old enough for that, anyway I remember I mentioned similarities with the big block to the east like that winter. Certainly looking like a tasty spell of weather / model watching :reindeer-emoji:☃️ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
10 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Even Spain are capable of getting more snowfall than pathetic Southern England!

What’s next ? Parts of Africa seeing snowfall ?

The Atlas Mountains see their fair share of snow and even down to lower levels on the Algerian coast on occasion. 

Those parts of the world are on average warmer than the UK in winter thanks to sunny days, but when there is precipitation it seems to be colder probably due to low dew points and no Atlantic muck mixed in. 

Of course once it clears the temperatures shoot right back up again. 

I do share your frustration, yeah Scandi, Russia and Canada you know the score, but when you get places way further South like the Med, Middle East and China pulling off much better winter weather, (whether it's cold crisp weather or snowstorms), one does feel like they're missing out!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The places mentioned have much more continental climates generally and are also often at height (Madrid is 300m up for example). If you want that kind of snow in the UK then you need to consider a move to a few hundred meters up in Scotland or North West England or for cities the western uplands of west/south Yorkshire.

Posted

December AO was the lowest since 2012.

December PDO was the lowest since 2013. 

December QBO value fell from the October peak again. 

OND ONI was the lowest since Jan 11. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
31 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The places mentioned have much more continental climates generally and are also often at height (Madrid is 300m up for example). If you want that kind of snow in the UK then you need to consider a move to a few hundred meters up in Scotland or North West England or for cities the western uplands of west/south Yorkshire.

Actually I’m from Bradford where we used to see much more snowfall before I had to move down South for job reasons! What’s annoying is that even the midlands have had more snow! 

Not banking on the rest of the winter producing much either!

Ski trips needed instead!!

Posted
18 hours ago, DCee said:

It's like amateur dramatics society over on the model forum.

But then they are amateurs and only looking for one outcome so have to forgive them. Some informative posts in amongst the noise though. 

I noticed alot of negativity about the BBC temps recently but they correlated well in my area, inc the weather from days out.

I would take the bbc weather over any forecast from the model thread any day.

Sounds like this forum isn't for you then!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, apophenia said:

A strange winter, it's somehow conspiring to be genuinely wintry... and yet also completely forgettable.  And it looks like the SSW won't benefit much else than the usual ' high ground in t' north' either. 

A bit of a damp squib.

Yep, now watch Europe get their share of wintry weather in the coming weeks leaving Southern Britain on the marginal side with rain!

Pathetic effort made more pathetic by the melting of the ice caps and glaciers. Sad times.

Posted
3 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS ARE AT IT ALREADY:

Heavy snow forecast as weather 'major event' heading towards UK - Manchester Evening News

(Not letting me paste the url for some reason)

Northern and central parts seem to be luckier than the South recently!

Whens the last time the flippin Thames Estuary had more than an inch of snow ? 2013 ?!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, prolongedSnowLover said:

Northern and central parts seem to be luckier than the South recently!

Whens the last time the flippin Thames Estuary had more than an inch of snow ? 2013 ?!!!!

Isn’t that the usual situation? As someone who’s lived in S England for 45 years, I can say that snow has always been a rare visitor. Much better chances up north. The only times the south does well are when there’s a properly cold easterly airflow, giving decent convection from the N Sea and/or when we get low pressure to our S/SW and fronts trying to push in. Polar lows have very rarely given a covering, too (usually not a lot). That’s about it, unfortunately. It’s just not a good place for snow.

• Like 1