Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
53 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

We had some decent snow on December 29 but since then it’s just been cold with the odd flurry. I don’t think we’re in for a March 2018 again this week.

For me the temperatures are very close to the BFTE event in March 18. Lows of -5 and highs of 0 today. This period has been colder than the BFTE, has been coldest since Jan 13 which is remarkable imo

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
42 minutes ago, Frigid said:

For me the temperatures are very close to the BFTE event in March 18. Lows of -5 and highs of 0 today. This period has been colder than the BFTE, has been coldest since Jan 13 which is remarkable imo

For here this is nothing on March 2018 then we had a max of -2c with gale force winds, which is amazing for the south coast, in this spell can't even manage a min of -2c and haven't even seen 1 flake falling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
3 hours ago, Freeze said:

For here this is nothing on March 2018 then we had a max of -2c with gale force winds, which is amazing for the south coast, in this spell can't even manage a min of -2c and haven't even seen 1 flake falling.

Exactly the same here on the east coast with barely a frost this winter let alone snow. Not a patch on the BFTE when it was sub zero day and night with bucket loads of snow. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Chiltern_Blizzard said:

Still waiting for this top 10 winter that so many predicted! 

Thats the issue with chasing 10+day FI outputs. Still holding out hope for late Jan 

Don’t hold your breath though, you might suffocate waiting.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

Don’t hold your breath though, you might suffocate waiting.

Ha! Yeah I know. Just been our luck this winter so far. Been on cusp of a few things. But not one flake. 

My fault for getting caught up in it. I knew when the models started the "something big at 10days malarkay" that it wouldn't materialise. Was waiting for the ECM/MO change. 

Its only weather

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Chiltern_Blizzard said:

Thats the issue with chasing 10+day FI outputs. Still holding out hope for late Jan 

Was there a cold spell? Hadn’t realized, what with all the rain falling.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
19 minutes ago, Chiltern_Blizzard said:

Don’t forget the Thames freezing over!!!

• Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, Chiltern_Blizzard said:

Ha! Yeah I know. Just been our luck this winter so far. Been on cusp of a few things. But not one flake. 

My fault for getting caught up in it. I knew when the models started the "something big at 10days malarkay" that it wouldn't materialise. Was waiting for the ECM/MO change. 

Its only weather

There’s still a lot of winter left, so I wouldn’t hang up your skis just yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Chiltern_Blizzard said:

Ah damn!  just sold them and picked up some budgie smugglers for the spring! 

Well if you’re brave enough you can always go skiing in your budgie smugglers

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Don’t forget the Thames freezing over!!!

, some of us did try in vain to point out that this was overhyped beyond anything ever witnessed in here. Looking at where we are right now I’d say the odds of record breaking warmth far exceed the odds of severe cold. With the building of heights over Spain that’s a one way ticket to Mildsville IMHO.  Could get a Spanish plume out of that scenario.

Hopefully this will look silly by the morning.

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

I thing it was some sort of collective hysteria we witnessed over the holiday period ! 

• Like 7

Posted

Anyone wanna move to Madrid for awhile to escape next weeks mild spell? Shame we cant get this here, but we still have a month and a half left of winter. Fingers crossed 

Screenshot 2021-01-07 213739.png

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Jason M said:

, some of us did try in vain to point out that this was overhyped beyond anything ever witnessed in here. Looking at where we are right now I’d say the odds of record breaking warmth far exceed the odds of severe cold. With the building of heights over Spain that’s a one way ticket to Mildsville IMHO.  Could get a Spanish plume out of that scenario.

Hopefully this will look silly by the morning.

Agreed. There were a few that did point this out. It got lost and shut down quite quickly. I do appreciate the model thread is for looking precisely at that...model runs.....

• Like 2

Posted

Here in Dudley the snow that fell on 28th December is still evident on certain footpaths and gardens. Just as hard frozen slush. Just looked out of my window and it is white over with snow again that fell a short while back. Probably the 4th time we have had covering in 11 days. 

• Like 1

Posted

Minus 4 on the drive back home at 6.00pm this evening, with light snow, been below average here now for over 2 weeks, I’d say a decent cold spell, re heights over Spain etc, have a look at the archive charts in particular Jan 14 to Jan 20 - 1947

Posted
4 hours ago, Man Without Beard said:

Well after looking at the latest ECM ensembles set, I'd say hold your horses before writing off next week. That Icelandic High is playing havoc with the UK set up, and as a rough figure, about 50% have a frontal snow event Tues/Weds somewhere across the UK as an Atlantic front becomes positively tilted against the Icelandic High - mainly midlands or north but looks the type that could land anywhere. Don't turn off your meteociels just yet, we're not done

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Nice fall of snow earlier, but it looks like it's back to mild wet rubbish off the Atlantic soon.  

Oh well, at least we had something resembling winter this year.  It's a pity it had to end by mid-January.

Edited by Simon M

Posted
2 hours ago, Simon M said:

Nice fall of snow earlier, but it looks like it's back to mild wet rubbish off the Atlantic soon.  

Oh well, at least we had something resembling winter this year.  It's a pity it had to end by mid-January.

Blew a snowflake off my car yesterday morning, and noted that as my winter 2021 event

• Like 2