Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

This from the Met Office this morning. 

Matthew Lehnert is an Expert Operational Meteorologist with the Met Office. He said: “Although the prolonged cold spell and snow events in February and March of 2018 – dubbed the ‘Beast from the East’ by the UK media – were linked to a sudden stratospheric warming, the record warm spell that occurred in February 2019 also followed such an event.”

Paul Davies is the Met Office’s Chief Meteorologist. He added: “We can’t completely rule out a signal for colder weather following this SSW event later in the month. However, evidence from model data and other drivers of the UK weather support a return to relatively milder and more unsettled conditions next week.”

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

This is the type of forecast i want to see in the UK.

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for Yakutsk.

• Like 1

Posted

Did i read someone mention uncle bartlett on here somewhere for around 20th of jan and somebody else saying a northerly at around the same time,very conflicting, shows nobody really knows do they.

Posted
42 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

This from the Met Office this morning. 

Matthew Lehnert is an Expert Operational Meteorologist with the Met Office. He said: “Although the prolonged cold spell and snow events in February and March of 2018 – dubbed the ‘Beast from the East’ by the UK media – were linked to a sudden stratospheric warming, the record warm spell that occurred in February 2019 also followed such an event.”

Paul Davies is the Met Office’s Chief Meteorologist. He added: “We can’t completely rule out a signal for colder weather following this SSW event later in the month. However, evidence from model data and other drivers of the UK weather support a return to relatively milder and more unsettled conditions next week.”

Yes, despite all the SSW guff, it's looking like we will be returning to normal UK winter conditions from next week! ☹️

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
17 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

This is the type of forecast i want to see in the UK.

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for Yakutsk.

Sod that

Day time temps of -5, night time temps of -10 and regular significant and widespread snowfalls over a single 3 or 4 week-period would do me. Or to put it another way, December 2010 or January 1979 or January 1985.

Or two separate 11 or 12 day spells like Jan 1987 - both occurring anytime between roughly 10 Dec and 20 Feb - in the proper peak winter period. Cold can sod off by early March to be replaced by a warm spring/summer

Those Siberian temps are far too cold. And living in it I'll bet people get fed up with it. There's probably a Siberian weather forum where they look, forlornly, for mild weather in winter

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, LRD said:

Sod that

Day time temps of -5, night time temps of -10 and regular significant and widespread snowfalls over a single 3 or 4 week-period would do me. Or to put it another way, December 2010 or January 1979 or January 1985.

Or two separate 11 or 12 day spells like Jan 1987 - both occurring anytime between roughly 10 Dec and 20 Feb - in the proper peak winter period. Cold can sod off by early March to be replaced by a warm spring/summer

Those Siberian temps are far too cold. And living in it I'll bet people get fed up with it. There's probably a Siberian weather forum where they look, forlornly, for mild weather in winter

Yep, I just can't imagine having to cope with -46c 

• Like 2

Posted

Fast approaching EIGHT years since I've seen a decent amount of snow in darkest, tropical Bedfordshire during the month of January. Eight years!!

It did snow here, very briefly, in late Jan 2019 but melted as soon as it arrived so that was rubbish and barely worth the effort

• Like 2

Posted

Looking like going have to travel  afar to see decent snow and ice,in the future, it's just ridiculous that even in  this current set_up it's been mostly rain with just a slushy mess if you live at 200 m above sea level in the SE, utterly pathetic. 

Still loads of place to visit so see the cold and snow, when we get back to normal, the chances of seeing it deep, crisp, and even in your back garden in UK is fading fast 

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure if this has already been discussed yet but there is always a really annoying reference of the season that's gets repeated over and over and eventually gets on everyone's gripe.... in 2019 it was 'Downwelling', this season it has to be 'wintry impacts'..... discuss  lol 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, snowblizzard said:

Yep, I just can't imagine having to cope with -46c 

Coldest I’ve had to endure in Canada is minus 42oc and it is throughly miserable. And usually it’s only a few days/nights and the cold snap relents a bit to minus 30’s (still not great but manageable)

Walking, working, driving it just takes its toll. For me the body noticeably slows down and my joints feel really stiff. 

This is on another level though  

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I would like to point out that in Jan 09, 13 and the attempt of 12 it took more or less ten days from reversal to start a proper cold spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. I hate being cold.
4 hours ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

I was hoping, in my life time to experience a 1947 or 62/63 type of winter, but alas am begining to feel this may never happen!  2010 showed that severe winter spells can still happen in this country. I for one absolutely loved it as it is my favorite type of weather. But, it definitely does appear to be getting harder and harder to get anything remotely wintery, especially for those residing down south in the UK.

I remember December 2010 and February 1978. Both were utter nightmares trying to get to work. I was a pharmacist before I retired and it would be just impossible for me not to get the pharmacy open with people needing their medicines. I ended up having to stay at a hotel in Exeter in 2010 leaving the car snowed in the health centre car park and my nice warm bed eight miles up the road.

One of the reasons I like living in Devon is because we have mild weather and warm summers, and very little snow.

So,  snow no thanks.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
4 minutes ago, Racer said:

I remember December 2010 and February 1978. Both were utter nightmares trying to get to work. I was a pharmacist before I retired and it would be just impossible for me not to get the pharmacy open with people needing their medicines. I ended up having to stay at a hotel in Exeter in 2010 leaving the car snowed in the health centre car park and my nice warm bed eight miles up the road.

One of the reasons I like living in Devon is because we have mild weather and warm summers, and very little snow.

So,  snow no thanks.

February 78 was horrendous in the Southwest with villages cut off for weeks and food being air dropped by helicopter. We certainly don’t want that again, especially as the vaccination programme is being rolled out. 

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

February 78 was horrendous in the Southwest with villages cut off for weeks and food being air dropped by helicopter. We certainly don’t want that again, especially as the vaccination programme is being rolled out. 

Remember that well, I take your point though re the vaccination programme, I like a bit of snow as much as the next guy, but this year we'd be better off with cold ,dry weather simply for the logistics of the vaccination roll out. We don't need excessively wet weather either as that will bring it's own problems with regard to flooding.  I don't care how cold it gets, as long as it stays dry. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Winter 2016 / 17 would be ideal for Covid response, cold and dry then a warm up late Feb

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowblind said:

From 1987?

Haha, if only. They mentioned other other factors such as La Nina counteracting the SSW. Basically they don't know what the impact will be yet.

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

I see Mr Hugo and Marco Petagna have gone quiet!...After banging the cold SSW drum over the last week or so (typical).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

My balcony in Prague this evening (and a street view), lovely. Was quite marginal earlier today but temperatures soon dropped below freezing. 

C7509D20-69EB-456F-BF38-63094EC68CB9.jpeg

5DCF2643-BE4B-417C-9087-DC136B597DD5.jpeg

E32AB356-58D9-4BE0-BAAD-7709F5F63155.jpeg

• Like 7