Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Red sky at night - shepherd’s delight; charts flipped in morning - sudden stratospheric warming.

• Like 5

Posted

So far, one brief covering of snow (1cm) at low levels, in early December, that lasted a day. 

Though to be fair, the hills around me had some snow for a few days in this current cold spell.

Before people point out that it is far better than they had down south, the trade off is 200 days a year of rain and average July and August maximum temperatures of 18C.

Much as I like a cold winter, given a choice, I would exchange a few extra days snow (on average) for one third of the rainfall and decent summer temperatures.

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, Updated_Weather said:

What about it?

numerous reports parts of Kent are having snow fall? That’s not wrong - that’s fact.

Very surprised by this considering the dew points overnight. How are you guys in Kent enjoying your snow this morning?

Or...perhaps these are 'Alternative Facts"...?

Always amazes me how many people on here who supposedly have decent knowledge of the weather charts, get it wrong. They are totally blinded by their thirst for cold, that it makes them lose touch with reality. Can’t see wood for the trees.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Latest EPS for London just shows the weather flat lining for the next couple of weeks - this winter starting to look like a bust for the south at least.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
48 minutes ago, cobbett said:

Latest EPS for London just shows the weather flat lining for the next couple of weeks - this winter starting to look like a bust for the south at least.

What’s new ?

Posted
2 hours ago, jayb1989 said:

Always amazes me how many people on here who supposedly have decent knowledge of the weather charts, get it wrong. They are totally blinded by their thirst for cold, that it makes them lose touch with reality. Can’t see wood for the trees.

You have hit the nail on the head. Time and time again, the determination to hunt for cold and snow means that many ignore the tell tale signs that are there in all of the NWP. Over the last week or so, there has been enough content about 850s and ssw to compete with the old testament in terms of volume. I have been astonished by the number of posters not able to read the upper temps correctly, effectively dismissing the fact that the 850 temps looked marginal (at best). We weren't even seeing solid -5s let alone -10s! And mainland Europe simply wasn't cold enough in any E/NE flow.

And as for the fabled SSW, when will people learn? It is NOT the nirvana to cold and snow, with only a 66% chance of the British Isles being impacted by the stratospheric reactions anyway - and that includes both going colder AND significantly milder. Remember Feb '19? Be careful what you wish for! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
28 minutes ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

So far, one brief covering of snow (1cm) at low levels, in early December, that lasted a day. 

Though to be fair, the hills around me had some snow for a few days in this current cold spell.

Before people point out that it is far better than they had down south, the trade off is 200 days a year of rain and average July and August maximum temperatures of 18C.

Much as I like a cold winter, given a choice, I would exchange a few extra days snow (on average) for one third of the rainfall and decent summer temperatures.

That's the only consolation really at the moment. Having spent some time up North I'd say the winters are say 30% worse down here in Kent but the summers are 40% better.

I posted a fortnight ago saying the model watching would be a good learning opportunity for a novice like me, even if it was disappointing. 

Well, unfortunately it was. I've learnt that a lack of Atlantic influence isn't everything, and that sometimes high pressure to the North of the UK can result in miserable weather - here the Sun was last out 28th December and the temperature has hovered 1C - 5C

Given the setup I'd rather have Westerly winds as at least you get breaks in the cloud and mild weather. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer either proper cold <0C or real mild >15C. I quite enjoyed December 2015 and February 2019!

Bring on Spring I say!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
3 hours ago, one way or the other said:

I won't be getting excited by outlooks suggesting 'northern blocking' from now on, that's for sure.  The notion that the Atlantic is to blame for our poor winters is clearly a massive oversimplification.

Or we could just blame Easterly winds that are bringing air towards us from the far East of Med instead of Siberia, I'm no expert but you only had to follow isobars back to source of air it was originating from. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
18 minutes ago, Easton Luna Boys said:

You have hit the nail on the head. Time and time again, the determination to hunt for cold and snow means that many ignore the tell tale signs that are there in all of the NWP. Over the last week or so, there has been enough content about 850s and ssw to compete with the old testament in terms of volume. I have been astonished by the number of posters not able to read the upper temps correctly, effectively dismissing the fact that the 850 temps looked marginal (at best). We weren't even seeing solid -5s let alone -10s! And mainland Europe simply wasn't cold enough in any E/NE flow.

And as for the fabled SSW, when will people learn? It is NOT the nirvana to cold and snow, with only a 66% chance of the British Isles being impacted by the stratospheric reactions anyway - and that includes both going colder AND significantly milder. Remember Feb '19? Be careful what you wish for! 

I’m afraid some posters only see what they want to see on here, and if it’s a downgrade on a snow fest then the charts are wrong or they’ll come good in the fabled 10 days time. I’m convinced if they lived in the Bahamas they’d still find a synoptic chart that would suggest snow. People really need to think before posting and stop misleading those that perhaps don’t understand meteorology as much as others. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

Just a comment. I am not sure if I should moan but :

After the record warm last winter we have until now :

• The warmest November ever,
  • The 4th warmest December ever (+4.6 degrees from normal).
  • Much of the southern Scandinavia still almost snowless (Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki but also Tromso!)

Let's hope that the SSW will bring the cold back (I would be even happy with the average levels)

• Like 3

Posted
56 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

Or we could just blame Easterly winds that are bringing air towards us from the far East of Med instead of Siberia, I'm no expert but you only had to follow isobars back to source of air it was originating from. 

Ah yes, I thought this would get mentioned; effectively a "leaves on the line" trope. 

If people are seriously going to use the isobars as an exact "source" of the easterly in early January and blame this for the reason that the uppers weren't cold enough for snow in lowland UK, then we have a problem. If anyone can tell me the last time we had such perfect synoptics as a E/NE airflow that delivered marginal...no sorry - cold rain in early January in the last 30 years, I will be amazed, because I can't find a persuasive enough example. 

The fact remains; mainland Europe simply isn't cold enough at present. If it was, I think even the most pessimistic of us would appreciate that this set-up would have delivered a lot more snow over a wider region of the country. 

• Like 2

Posted

Crazy the mildness in Sande

1 hour ago, topo said:

Just a comment. I am not sure if I should moan but :

After the record warm last winter we have until now :

• The warmest November ever,
  • The 4th warmest December ever (+4.6 degrees from normal).
  • Much of the southern Scandinavia still almost snowless (Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki but also Tromso!)

Let's hope that the SSW will bring the cold back (I would be even happy with the average levels)

Crazy the mildness there now,remember the good old days,with max temps of minus 20c in Helsinki in Winter and excitement when the bitter air was heading towards UK,

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Easton Luna Boys said:

true..whilst in the UK it was very mild here it was exceptionally cold..Feb 2019 was the third coldest Feb on record some -14c below normal..so an SSW is just throwing a dice and where somewhere gets cold somewhere will get mild is anybody's guess

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

It really has been a disappointing cold spell this. Not even cold spell more like cool spell. I live in the North East and we are currently having rain showers. I just wanted to have a bit of a moan about the MOD thread. In the lead up to this cold spell ppl were highlighting the lack of Cold 850s and when they did this they were immediately jumped on and told to basically shut up and stop moaning. Well turns out those people were right about the 850s not being cold enough. We shouldn't so readily dismiss other people's opinions. 

• Like 5

Posted
51 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

In the lead up to this cold spell ppl were highlighting the lack of Cold 850s and when they did this they were immediately jumped on and told to basically shut up and stop moaning.

And that is why I no longer post in MOD thread. Anybody not sharing their view of the next upcoming ice age gets eaten alive in there. It really needs sorting out. 

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

And that is why I no longer post in MOD thread. Anybody not sharing their view of the next upcoming ice age gets eaten alive in there. It really needs sorting out. 

Tbf, it is was similar on the 'other side' regarding some ignoring the perils of marginal uppers. Although similarly, there were also a number of us acolytes urging caution! You would have thought we were going into a guaranteed Jan '87 the way some posters were reacting! 500 times bitten, 501 shy

• Like 2

Posted

So much conjecture on SSW and about displacement or split of polar vortex.

Some experts saying one thing others the exact opposite.

You'd have thought in this day and age, with all the background signals, unbelievable computer power, satellite imaging and historical records, that we would have more accurate modelling and forecasting when it comes to SSW events.  

This one (if it does actually happen) is still not nailed!

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

So much conjecture on SSW and about displacement or split of polar vortex.

Some experts saying one thing others the exact opposite.

You'd have thought in this day and age, with all the background signals, unbelievable computer power, satellite imaging and historical records, that we would have more accurate modelling and forecasting when it comes to SSW events.  

This one (if it does actually happen) is still not nailed!

Does SSW stand for Sweltering South Westerlies by any chance?

• Like 2