Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted

i think the 'new normal' should be called 'day 10' nothing i have seen recently for the 10th day in the models seems to materialise.

thanks for moving this Mods (my bad) 

Edited by MAF
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Tim ive not got any warmer than 2 degrees since it started.

You have to realise to some parts of the UK itd been really cold

That’s great, but this is a Uk thread and I was referring to your comment which seemed to be a general statement saying you are not seeing temps staying as they are and not getting above 3 or 4 when for many readers / members there hasn’t been any snow or frost and temps are 5c or 6c by day ??‍♂️

• Like 6

Posted

Well then i will say it will turn no warmer than it is now. Whatever your temperature is

And we look to have snow today so equally you havw to realise its been a different climate all over the uk

Edited by Scott Ingham
  • Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

That’s great, but this is a Uk thread and I was referring to your comment which seemed to be a general statement saying you are not seeing temps staying as they are and not getting above 3 or 4 when for many readers / members there hasn’t been any snow or frost and temps are 5c or 6c by day ??‍♂️

Tim, flip that again though mate.  I live in one of the hottest parts of the country, even I can say I have seen frosts since November.  You must gave been very very unlucky.  I went through Stevenage on Sat and it was only 2 degrees.  Agreed variances occur, however the mean temp so far is below ave.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

So a mild January it is then. I pretty much knew the SSW would be a fail. Come June and just watch those tasty winter synoptics fall in place along with the usual "If only this was winter" comments. Bye winter, see you in 25 years 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
26 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

So a mild January it is then. I pretty much knew the SSW would be a fail. Come June and just watch those tasty winter synoptics fall in place along with the usual "If only this was winter" comments. Bye winter, see you in 25 years 

Maybe it’s not such a bad thing with the new lockdown. At least we might be able to get outdoors and get some fresh air. I’d just like it to be dry more than anything, whether it be warm or cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
36 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

You don't know anything until after it's happened. It's the 4th of January for God sake.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Freeze said:

You don't know anything until after it's happened. It's the 4th of January for God sake.

I was wondering that myself? 

Some people today seem  to want to publically advertise that they don't think when they are posting.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Sleet streamers breaking out everywhere. Lol

Posted

What's perplexing this year is we've had ripe conditions for major Greenland blocking.. 

Yet we still can't get a decent one to stick... 

There's something in the background the last few years working against us.. 

Wether we know what it is is another matter, but at the moment there is no way of telling. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
1 minute ago, ALL ABOARD said:

What's perplexing this year is we've had ripe conditions for major Greenland blocking.. 

Yet we still can't get a decent one to stick... 

There's something in the background the last few years working against us.. 

Wether we know what it is is another matter, but at the moment there is no way of telling. 

Not being an expert on it, but I would imagine rapid warming in the Arctic and ever decreasing sea ice isn’t helping. Higher sea surface temperatures would make it more difficult to tap into real cold as well. 

• Like 1

Posted

Reminiscing just for fun.

Dream chart - Sunday 11th January 1987

Fantastic set-up with deep cold air to NE of UK (Moscow -30c)

During the next few days I recorded 20 inches+ of powder snow in NW Kent

Enormous drifts in strong ENE winds

Persistent heavy snow showers on the Monday with maximum temperature -5c ❄️❄️❄️❄️

Minimum that night -11c

I really fear that I will never see the like again locally in my lifetime ☹️

20210104_224830.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10
3 hours ago, Scott Ingham said:

Tim ive not got any warmer than 2 degrees since it started.

You have to realise to some parts of the UK itd been really cold

It’s been much colder than we’ve had in a good few years, even down here on the snow starved Welsh Riviera, lots of frosts and icy mornings and i’m at sea level.  The BFTE 2 yrs ago absolutely wiped us out, as did 2010 and there have been nice coverings for us in between all that.

its hard when the momentum just flips.  We’ve had nothing but cold trending charts alL winter and taking the more prudent view at only Considering 120hrs max and the GEFS has it staying on the cold side in the reliable.

theres even a few in there at the end with -15ish........

They’ll be saying uppers too cold for snow then

3C30A11B-B4DB-46AD-9161-95D5A995E415.jpeg

Edited by Day_9

Posted
23 minutes ago, Day_9 said:

It’s been much colder than we’ve had in a good few years, even down here on the snow starved Welsh Riviera, lots of frosts and icy mornings and i’m at sea level.  The BFTE 2 yrs ago absolutely wiped us out, as did 2010 and there have been nice coverings for us in between all that.

its hard when the momentum just flips.  We’ve had nothing but cold trending charts alL winter and taking the more prudent view at only Considering 120hrs max and the GEFS has it staying on the cold side in the reliable.

theres even a few in there at the end with -15ish........

They’ll be saying uppers too cold for snow then

3C30A11B-B4DB-46AD-9161-95D5A995E415.jpeg

Expectations not being met is what hits the nail on the head.

When we leave expectations behind look at weather patterns and figures its actually beem an exception start. "Interesting" start is what id say

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
8 hours ago, frosty ground said:

Here here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

These were taken yesterday near Consett in the north east. Inland areas with height have done okay but the air has not been cold enough for prolonged lowland snow. We have woke up to a few dusting in the morning but anything in the daytime has been rain or sleet.

People say don’t get excited but a lot of the ‘respected’ posters were creating the excitement. 

63B17D1A-BAB1-48F9-B607-95F9B5A5DFD9.jpeg

352BA935-FE7D-4F53-ACD0-266F219EC899.jpeg

B72DEAAD-4C6F-4327-AF54-D88106E27FFC.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, daz_4 said:

The upcoming weekend looked quite nice for Central Europe but GFS just keeps downgrading the uppers so it will be fighting for scraps once again. It's quite something that we are approaching middle of winter without a single ice day here.

Just the one ice day here so far, at the beginning of December. That might change in a few days' time. Before then there's a marginal snow event in the works for Wednesday, but I just know nothing's going to come of it. Some people in Slovakia are saying this winter is currently worse than the last one, which is quite remarkable really. I don't think I've seen a proper wintry spell (not necessarily unusual or exceptional) since January 2019. Diabolical stuff.

Spending Christmas here alone has been tough but I thought I would at least get to experience proper winter weather. Fat chance. To rub salt in the wounds I've had friends in Wigan showing me snow on New Year's Eve (which is where I would have been too if not for COVID). Then again, I went to Ukraine just before Christmas 2019 and it was 16C so perhaps I shouldn't be so shocked anymore. I could visit the South Pole and it would probably rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
4 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Just the one ice day here so far, at the beginning of December. That might change in a few days' time. Before then there's a marginal snow event in the works for Wednesday, but I just know nothing's going to come of it. Some people in Slovakia are saying this winter is currently worse than the last one, which is quite remarkable really. I don't think I've seen a proper wintry spell (not necessarily unusual or exceptional) since January 2019. Diabolical stuff.

Spending Christmas here alone has been tough but I thought I would at least get to experience proper winter weather. Fat chance. To rub salt in the wounds I've had friends in Wigan showing me snow on New Year's Eve (which is where I would have been too if not for COVID). Then again, I went to Ukraine just before Christmas 2019 and it was 16C so perhaps I shouldn't be so shocked anymore. I could visit the South Pole and it would probably rain

i think i ve given Slovakia a curse as I ve returned home in Dec18 since had not more then 8cm of snow in my town. That is 6 winter months in a row for location surronded by hills at nearly 400m its crap.Only saving Grace is High ground that has 30cm+ and is winthin 20 minutes drive where I can bring kids up. After blockbuster winter 2012/13 who would have thought we enter this regime Non stop.

• Like 1