Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
Just now, Vikos said:

Still, EC does it better

Casual observation is that ecm has swung towards para several times since December... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
31 minutes ago, LRD said:

A long way away but even the Para goes badly near the end

image.thumb.png.5446d9cc0bdc5f7a48f830870567bc4f.png

image.thumb.png.90f129c1a77e358114fc974f0fcc2bc2.png

Rubbish reallynot

Edited by winterof79

Posted

If anyone wants to check out model performance you can do here: 

WWW.EMC.NCEP.NOAA.GOV

Currently GFS para outperforms standard GFS out to day 6, thereafter the GFS is the better performer (but we currently have only 25 days of data for the para, so not an entirely fair comparison just yet).

At day 10 on the 12z runs at least, the old GFS is king:

image.thumb.png.dbd0364d168b88b830e37a1a9b501605.png

However the most accurate run of the day at day 10 is the ECM 0z:

image.thumb.png.13c6a37e86fa3bc00ad23d190a7c390f.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

Definitely a much colder set of GEFS 12z ensembles this afternoon, looks like the milder spell has been watered down a fair bit...

06z:

63B2C7B3-F705-4EB6-A714-26F7E7F33A7B.thumb.png.2aadab00be9a87bc28520673cc2e663e.png

12z:

F6C18F76-877A-46A3-BED5-CCA6B5921F1B.thumb.png.edff98e3b040fe13d0f2f0e13fc67176.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted

GFS once again keen to ridge high pressure north at 120 hrs only to collapse it at 192 hrs.

Not supported by UKMO but still interesting,Gefs will be one to watch for any sudden drop in 850hpa

by members.Probably a time for everybody to be patient SSW will show itself in the charts,hopefully 

not to long away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

image.thumb.png.7df05fa14cfffd78198b0a70b6f45bc0.png

What an arctic profile

But what a horrible Iberian profile

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
10 minutes ago, LRD said:

A long way away but even the Para goes badly near the end

image.thumb.png.5446d9cc0bdc5f7a48f830870567bc4f.png

No this is bad on the gfs 12z no chance with anything cold on that .95F8A8CF-6590-4B3C-81C6-F2CA0DE2D35E.thumb.png.2ebd3e62215fec66dec3369fd85505e6.png

The Gfs// is good across the NH . But nothing in are little corner yet . You can see routes to cold on that . So I wouldn’t call it bad ABC36DEF-B4F4-475C-B21E-9B34808DE01F.thumb.png.f3a9ede638eaf2db4d3f19c12bd97c6b.png

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

image.thumb.png.90f129c1a77e358114fc974f0fcc2bc2.png

Rubbish really

Not sure if you're being sarky or not.

If you are in terms of surface conditions for the UK it is. What's the point of an arctic high or a promising arctic pressure pattern if it doesn't result in a solid spell of cold and snow for us? We could be talking about 'good arctic profiles' for weeks and it'd be March before we know it and most of us still wouldn't have seen a snowflake

Having said that at least the para does give us hope with the north pole looking like that

• Like 1

Posted

Feeling a little bit more optimistic again after this morning, at least the para is showing very strong heights over the Arctic 1065mb is impressive. A little support from GEM too.

Would like the ECM EPS to start showing a trop split too..

A few of the ensembles have great NH profiles at 276 (attached) more ups and downs coming I think!

gensnh-28-1-276.png

gensnh-21-1-276.png

gensnh-17-1-276.png

gensnh-14-1-276.png

gensnh-13-1-276.png

gensnh-11-1-276.png

gensnh-8-1-276.png

gensnh-7-1-276.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
9 minutes ago, snowking said:

At day 10 on the 12z runs at least, the old GFS is king:

But still having that post-d10-BIAS of overrating atlantic influence when there is a cold continent. Low level cold air isn't always pushed away so fast as GFS is proclaming it ( without significant vents)

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

No this is bad on the gfs 12z no chance with anything cold on that .95F8A8CF-6590-4B3C-81C6-F2CA0DE2D35E.thumb.png.2ebd3e62215fec66dec3369fd85505e6.png

The Gfs// is good across the NH . But nothing in are little corner yet . You can see routes to cold on that . So I wouldn’t call it bad ABC36DEF-B4F4-475C-B21E-9B34808DE01F.thumb.png.f3a9ede638eaf2db4d3f19c12bd97c6b.png

Sure, I like the arctic profile but if it doesn't deliver for us, so what? The words 'promising'and 'potential' just don't cut any ice with me (pardon the pun) any more I'm afraid. Nearly 3 years and only seeing snow on one day (which was gone by the next day) in all that time has broken my patience I'm afraid. It's all about snow to give me a chance to play in it with my youngest before she gets too old for that sort of thing. Something I've not been able to do very often in her lifetime 

This is the good, bad and ugly of winter charts for the UK

image.png

Edited by LRD
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, LRD said:

Not sure if you're being sarky or not.

If you are in terms of surface conditions for the UK it is. What's the point of an arctic high or a promising arctic pressure pattern if it doesn't result in a solid spell of cold and snow for us? We could be talking about 'good arctic profiles' for weeks and it'd be March before we know it and most of us still wouldn't have seen a snowflake

Having said that at least the para does give us hope with the north pole looking like that

Yes, a good profile is no guarantee of anything notable. Of course, If things fall our way, it’ll be a help to us. But it’s usually elsewhere that seems to benefit.

• Thanks 1

Posted

I’ve stayed away for a while to heal my shredded nerves but looking at the GFS 12z I can’t believe the differences even at 3-4 days! I think we’re still in with a shout of some serious cold!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, MATTWOLVES said:

One thing for sure is those ens seem confident that significant cold is building to the E/NE...secondly will be if we can tap into it...if there is a battleground snow could be very significant! Possibilities are endless..and tbh i may be a little premature,but I'm also a tad excited...I don't think I will be able to contain myself for too much longer...The drama continues,and I tell you what,its superior to Albert Square.

gens-2-1-276.png

gens-2-0-288.png

gens-7-1-264.png

gens-7-0-276.png

gens-11-0-288.png

gens-13-1-288.png

gens-17-1-288.png

gens-19-0-288.png

gens-21-0-300.png

gens-21-1-276.png

200.gif

We've all been there, the excitement can definitely lead to being a tad premature, just don't boom too soon! 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
3 minutes ago, LRD said:

Sure, I like the arctic profile but if it doesn't deliver for us, so what? The words 'promising'and 'potential' just don't cut any ice with me (pardon the pun) any more I'm afraid. Nearly 3 years and only seeing snow on one day (which was gone by the next day) in all that time has broken my patience I'm afraid. It's all about snow to give me a chance to play in it with my youngest before she gets too old for that sort of thing. Something I've not been able to do very often in her lifetime 

image.png

Agreed , it does get so frustrating. We seem to be in the draw but always pull out the losing tickets . We seemed to be in a very good place a week ago for a cold Jan but that’s gone down the drain . Now we’re looking towards the end of the month and we still have February but it would of been great to have a freezing Jan with loads of snow for once . 

let’s hope we get something like P11

701CF82D-83CB-4125-B8FB-445CCAB15E53.png

B2B530C2-AC08-4AF3-9E80-5CD01DCC0971.png

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, Tim Bland said:

What’s the odds that the ECM follows the GEM

4EF42D7E-53A4-43B4-9C7D-E65EC5E4E211.png

It looks good but jan16th is a long way off but we can dream

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Griff said:

Trick question? 

It’s happened quite a few times before, I believe they use similar data so not out of the question.

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

What’s the odds that the ECM follows the GEM

4EF42D7E-53A4-43B4-9C7D-E65EC5E4E211.png

If you look at the three charts that follow this, within 24 hours the cold air is headed away SE. Its a very short /sharp shock.