Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
1 minute ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Has there ever been periods where the US and us in the UK are in a cold (very cold) , snowy period for lengthy periods??

yes plenty lots of the wintry spells of the 70's and 80's saw  deep cold and snow in both the US and the UK.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The ecm ens 12z suggests the op is a statistical outlier as early as d6-7:

graphe0_00_307.418106079_150.691543579___.thumb.png.f4ca470181866aba040ea7f1ae022d1e.png

The above is for London and keeps the mean around 1-2c below-average to average post d4. Models are struggling with the finer detail within the bigger picture and so the ecm op is probably one to be wary of as for specifics on the ground.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Has there ever been periods where the US and us in the UK are in a cold (very cold) , snowy period for lengthy periods??

Perhaps someone with deeper knowledge than myself can contribute here but correct me if I'm wrong, but December 2010 saw large snowstorms or North Easters in the USA at the same time as our record breaking cold weather. It is therefor incorrect to state that we are in the Cooker when the USA goes into the freezer. 

Likewise the USA is a large landmass and the British Isles are not so you could have frigid cold weather in the North Eastern States and mild in the central and western states. It's true that a cold USA can fire up the Jetstream keeping us milder than average, but it can also be, as is often the case here, due to strong northern blocking and heights in Greenland. 

So you can't simply state that American Cold = Western European Warmth. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, IDO said:

The ecm ens 12z suggests the op is a statistical outlier as early as d6-7:

graphe0_00_307.418106079_150.691543579___.thumb.png.f4ca470181866aba040ea7f1ae022d1e.png

The above is for London and keeps the mean around 1-2c below-average to average post d4. Models are struggling with the finer detail within the bigger picture and so the ecm op is probably one to be wary of as for specifics on the ground.

Outlier, but the general trend isn’t particularly cold either way (for now). I know a lot of people don’t have patience around here, but it might be wise to have some in the coming week or two. The deck is being reshuffled, and we’re waiting to see where the cards fall. Nina or SSW effects to drive the weather? Too early too tell.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Trending milder.  However, it's anyone's guess what will happen in the final 3rd of the month.  In my opinion (not particularly backed-up by anything, just a gut-feeling), I think we will see the impacts of the current SSW in around 2 weeks time (so around 20th or so).

06_01_2021.png

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

And yet scott the update from Exeter if you look or read it today doesn’t really be any good news to be honest more south-westerly in the extended forecast the colder for the north that tell me to an extent that this SSW would not be favourable for us here I hope I am wrong and we get to see the effects of the SSW in the model output soon. 

Less goos news the further south you are snowtastic the further north.

Very cold air from scandi bumping into low pressure moving up from the South. 

Id take that for long range considering were talking a couple of hundred miles from snow and rain and models cant work that boundary out at t-48

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

There is spread in those eps tonight...the mean perhaps shows signs of wanting to go colder later...and a fair amount of those runs are quite cold..I can see this being a brief mild spell,with adjustments being made over the next few days as the cards get re delt.

graphe0_00_291_102___.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
Just now, mb018538 said:

Outlier, but the general trend isn’t particularly cold either way (for now). I know a lot of people don’t have patience around here, but it might be wise to have some in the coming week or two. The deck is being reshuffled, and we’re waiting to see where the cards fall. Nina or SSW effects to drive the weather? Too early too tell.

Agree, this has been well signposted as a transitional period whilst we await for the main action (hopefully), but the tendency for models to overdo the warming of the uppers is an interesting feature and to note for when it may matter in a better synoptic?

My interest in weather is more statistically based, on the models, their bias and trying to second guess them, so I am coming from a different direction to many on here!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Unusual for me to post a NOAA 500 mb anomaly at this time of day but it needs to be assessed along with all other model outputs. Sure kicks a hole in my morning prediction, but no matter, its happened before and will again.

It keeps its idea of trough-ridges again on its 6-10 day chart, about the same depth/height and similar position, then goes on to do almost the same in its 8-14 day chart.

Normally this pair of charts from NOAA is about the nearest we get to an accurate idea of what the 500 mb contours are going to be in the 6-14 day period from issue, so 12-20 th Jamuary. I wonder, if it is correct, what any single day at 500 mb will actually look like and the weather at the surface for the UK?

If someone put a gun to your head and asked you to hazard a guess?

@mushymanrob

Edited by Scott Ingham
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

If someone put a gun to your head and asked you to hazard a guess?

@mushymanrob

mixture of dry and showery days with heaviest PPN in Northern UK, Dryer than average South. Perhaps some wintriness East coast if pattern amplifies a little.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Unusual for me to post a NOAA 500 mb anomaly at this time of day but it needs to be assessed along with all other model outputs. Sure kicks a hole in my morning prediction, but no matter, its happened before and will again.

It keeps its idea of trough-ridges again on its 6-10 day chart, about the same depth/height and similar position, then goes on to do almost the same in its 8-14 day chart.

Normally this pair of charts from NOAA is about the nearest we get to an accurate idea of what the 500 mb contours are going to be in the 6-14 day period from issue, so 12-20 th Jamuary. I wonder, if it is correct, what any single day at 500 mb will actually look like and the weather at the surface for the UK?

Thanks for this John.. if I recall part of your morning prediction was indicating no real sign of any deep cold.. I guess we can leave it like that for now...

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

There is spread in those eps tonight...the mean perhaps shows signs of wanting to go colder later...and a fair amount of those runs are quite cold..I can see this being a brief mild spell,with adjustments being made over the next few days as the cards get re delt.

graphe0_00_291_102___.png

There have been hints across the various GFS runs and occasional ecm (unfairly in my opinion dubbed "phantoms") in the last few days... 

Certainly all to play for, for better or for worse. I love it! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
4 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Less goos news the further south you are snowtastic the further north.

Very cold air from scandi bumping into low pressure moving up from the South. 

Id take that for long range considering were talking a couple of hundred miles from snow and rain and models cant work that boundary out at t-48

Quite e so Scott the modelling the Meto use at that range clearly sees the  UK as a possible battleground between cold and mild at that range probably along the lines of the gfs 06z earlier today. However that battleground could be any where from the Channel coast to the North of Scotland and more likely move between the two depending on the waxing and waning in strength of the competing forces.

If its anywhere near right it will make for some very interesting model watching and weather.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Thanks for this John.. if I recall part of your morning prediction was indicating no real sign of any deep cold.. I guess we can leave it like that for now...

Yes. But he's saying this update means he doesn't really know now.

This update looks a lot more ridgy than the ops we've seen tonight.

Possible indications of upgrades to come?

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

"Sure kicks a hole in my morning prediction. I think he means opposite

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Never ignore the voice of experience just because it might not say what you want them to say. 

Is he not saying theyve changed for the better tho mushy if you read his first line

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

mixture of dry and showery days with heaviest PPN in Northern UK, Dryer than average South. Perhaps some wintriness East coast if pattern amplifies a little.

You think? 

Have you seen the 8-14?

Looks like signs of an omega block starting

• Thanks 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Quite e so Scott the modelling the Meto use at that range clearly sees the  UK as a possible battleground between cold and mild at that range probably along the lines of the gfs 06z earlier today. However that battleground could be any where from the Channel coast to the North of Scotland and more likely move between the two depending on the waxing and waning in strength of the competing forces.

If its anywhere near right it will make for some very interesting model watching and weather.

Yes!

My contact in the met mentioned as much yesterday morning.

They are 50/50 but if on the right side of cold it could get VERY interesting

• Like 4