Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

BFTE feb 13th -23feb charts at  3days apart 

AVN_1_2018021300_1BTFE1.png

AVN_1_2018021600_1BTFE2.png

AVN_1_2018021900_1BTFE3.png

AVN_1_2018022000_1BTFE4.png

AVN_1_2018022300_1BTFE5.png

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

Just had a look at 10 days away in 2018.

Actual:

1A490551-5671-4B26-AFBB-4D1A4F8577A0.thumb.png.2c7d03627f96c587f8d9434f08b531d8.png

GFS:

05E3431A-475E-43F0-BE43-DB4A4E15EE5F.thumb.png.3f2dccd574c543b371305bbe57423a1c.png

ECM:

C9CF8165-FBC2-4292-9AE5-D9C652FB5F23.thumb.gif.a0e3850c1c8cb3ec8e9536e559ca979c.gif

5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

image.thumb.png.ae4bf527e99517da5ecfcd3da3ef5dfb.png

the eps was progressive with the pattern and probably a few days ahead rather than behind! 

GFS again much closer... 

2-0 on SSW so far... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
6 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

TEITS would also go on about this. Always say that OPs lead the way and ensembles would follow.

True on 'breakdowns' from blocked conditions to more mobile ones as well...

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

That was hardly a pop up E'ly though Nick...it was signposted for weeks

Weeks ?  It was an ssw consequence wasn’t it ?   Post warming the gfs was playing with big fi amplification (which is happening to an extent now) but the scandi ridge and BFTE became favoured as we got towards the 10th 

But I take your point. - it wasn’t a pop up feature ......how many t8mes have we seen a pop up Easterly ??

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Not in 2013 nick according to snowmans brilliant post above. 

Anyone want to do a 2018 ten day and 5 day? 

There are always exceptions. Most easterlies in the UK aren’t that turbo charged one. 

I often remember the panic in here because the ensembles aren’t jumping with the op .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Weeks ?  It was an ssw consequence wasn’t it ?   Post warming the gfs was playing with big fi amplification (which is happening to an extent now) but the scandi ridge and BFTE became favoured as we got towards the 10th 

But I take your point. - it wasn’t a pop up feature ......how many t8mes have we seen a pop up Easterly ??

We saw what was coming about 2 weeks out.

Been a while since we saw a true pop up E'ly but I remember an instance a few years back now when we went into a tame one at short notice (approx 120 hrs out I think) Ensemble suite just flipped from SW'y to tame E'ly in the space of a run.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

To a degree - basically big NH amplification (which has shown on extended ops today).  Dont be surprised to see it different tomorrow morning and then to re surface within a couple runs ...

Standard model watching then

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

Bit of egg on my face ... just checked 2013 and oops ... the ECM mean had a westerly at D10 my memory not as good as I thought.

but you can see the mean was sniffing in towards a Scandi High in the days after.

Think I'm right that the ECM mean settled on this particular easterly right now quite early on?

I guess the ECM mean today has been sniffing a north Atlantic high at D10. It overwhelming gets sniffed out in the days that follow. But look at 2013 archieves and yes, it gives hope to any modelled outcome at mid-range for a turnaround

Maybe the ECM isn't great at modelling post SSW.. 

Obv there are exceptions to the rule but two operational at day ten that the GFS has modelled better.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
7 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

True on 'breakdowns' from blocked conditions to more mobile ones as well...

Given the lower resolution, surely the ops are ahead of the game in all situations?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
6 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Bit of egg on my face ... just checked 2013 and oops ... the ECM mean had a westerly at D10 my memory not as good as I thought.

but you can see the mean was sniffing in towards a Scandi High in the days after.

Think I'm right that the ECM mean settled on this particular easterly right now quite early on?

I guess the ECM mean today has been sniffing a north Atlantic high at D10. It overwhelming gets sniffed out in the days that follow. But look at 2013 archieves and yes, it gives hope to any modelled outcome at mid-range for a turnaround

2013 was such an oddity, the models just suddenly started building a small wedge of heights north then any atlantic lows just came to a crawling hault.

I remember the UKMO doing well in the second part of it, GFS doing well in the first. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Maybe the ECM isn't great at modelling post SSW.. 

Obv there are exceptions to the rule but two operational at day ten that the GFS has modelled better.. 

image.thumb.png.c6b8f0eda89b7bde9c563690f34a88f4.pngimage.thumb.png.ce4ae9cbd6cf2a5ca3c2e21f2bf95fb6.png  

image.thumb.png.62c381f19fe9b4b2a3032611bc016e2e.pngimage.thumb.png.389f23e5e256dbc72df5070473be839e.png  

my chart was the eps mean - the actual ops day 9/10 reveals gfs wasn’t better ..... but it means nothing of course .....

• Like 1

Just now, Snowman. said:

2013 was such an oddity, the models just suddenly started building a small wedge of heights north then any atlantic lows just came to a crawling hault.

I remember the UKMO doing well in the second part of it, GFS doing well in the first. 

As you know the shift happens as the effects of the SSW are processed by model. This is often quick as is the downwelling and due to the fast paced nature of the first wave of tropospheric impacts.

Posted
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Early signs on this run. Block is collapsing Less. I just wonder how much these early changes can influence the latter stages....

Not sure if it's my imagination, but the lows coming off the ESB seem to be getting weaker on each run. Not sure if that affects anything?

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
8 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Not sure if it's my imagination, but the lows coming off the ESB seem to be getting weaker on each run. Not sure if that affects anything?

Could probably do with them being stronger and digging further south off the eastern seaboard so it would help drive warm air advection up into Greenland to block the Atlantic altogether. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

ECM 192 v GFS 186

image.thumb.png.31e358cb53ffed315995f2c8a4babe96.pngimage.thumb.png.8c05349e0862f85ba6e71993c38aa135.png  

Things could be about to get interesting again!?

• Like 7