Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Without the secondary low in the Atlantic its very close for the low moving south east and pulling in some very cold air ie 210  hours granted.. 

Edited by swfc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I think we will struggle to stop the westerly momentum in the next 7- 10days, with the MJO and la Nina forcing, after this period is where the interest lies.

I am interested in what the para goes onto to show past day 9, will it show the SSW winning out against these teleconnections. It was a close call in the earlier run.

Marco has hinted that they are unsure what will prevail. Knowing the UK luck the deep cold will grind to a halt in the Netherlands.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, swfc said:

Without the secondary low in the Atlantic its very close for the low moving south east and pulling in some very cold air ie 210 granted.. 

Looks very cold to the north heading slowly down, if it were to ever happen of course. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

I think we will struggle to stop the westerly momentum in the next 7- 10days, with the MJO and la Nina forcing, after this period is where the interest lies.

I am interested in what the para goes onto to show past day 9, will it show the SSW winning out against these teleconnections. It was a close call in the earlier run.

Marco has hinted that they are unsure what will prevail. Knowing the UK luck the deep cold will grind to a halt in the Netherlands.

yep we prob end up with the AZH on top of us and the -16 850 50 miles in the north sea off the kent coast !!!!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, warrenb said:

I hate to say this, but no cold air, it is over Asia side. Japan looks to get clobbered again.

At the moment, yes, but as the SSW impacts the cold air will move Westwards (hopefully)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Just an indicator of what’s going on higher up and now dripping down into the modelling as it sees things a little clearer is visible on gfs post day 8. Up until yesterday’s 18z, we saw a vortex extension from Asia to Canada which prevented any meaningful cross polar amplification across the NH ......the 18z broke that vortex by T300 and now two runs later we see something way more interesting 

image.thumb.png.f96fc1d0e76f4ad08210ab07de14bb52.png

Would I be right in saying that's the mother vortex on our side and a daughter vortex in the North American side??

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

UKMO looking very alone it must be said. ICON both GFS runs and the GEM all looking similar to each other. NAVGEM closest to the UKMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW

GFSP has been on the money and consistent for days now while all the other models have been switching and swapping around. Maybe just maybe it’s pulling it out the bag!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Jackski4 said:

GFSP has been on the money and consistent for days now while all the other models have been switching and swapping around. Maybe just maybe it’s pulling it out the bag!

Agreed, both scenarios had occurred to me. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
4 minutes ago, sundog said:

Would I be right in saying that's the mother vortex on our side and a daughter vortex in the North American side??

Maybe its the Big Daddy?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, Griff said:

Agreed, both scenarios had occurred to me. 

Don’t wanna jinx it mate but it has been looking the best and it has shown it consistently.. It’s either very right or very wrong. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I hate that idiot with the wizard hat on .Always spoils everything.

image.thumb.png.b564ff69949143202e41bb0cf7c8545f.png

• Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, southbank said:

yep we prob end up with the AZH on top of us and the -16 850 50 miles in the north sea off the kent coast !!!!

Can't offer you -16, but will you take -6?

Edit: it's so close to a special run here, like earlier

gfsnh-1-210 (2).png

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Griff said:

Watch for fireworks?  

2 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

Don’t wanna jinx it mate but it has been looking the best and it has shown it consistently.. It’s either very right or very wrong. 

Of course it's going to leave us on the mild side just to teach us respect this time... All just for fun. 

More curious about changes in icon etc vs ukmo early on. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

It was around this juncture on the GFS// 06z that an area of high pressure moved from the North Pacific straight through the pole to Greenland.

Edited by winterof79

Posted
Just now, Griff said:

Of course it's going to leave us on the mild side just to teach us respect this time... All just for fun. 

More curious about changes in icon etc vs ukmo early on. 

Leaves us on the mild side this time but with the SSW and the colder uppers hopefully shifting west, you never know. Things could change, and fast. I doubt the models have been taken into account the SSW yet it only happened yesterday!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
17 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Just an indicator of what’s going on higher up and now dripping down into the modelling as it sees things a little clearer is visible on gfs post day 8. Up until yesterday’s 18z, we saw a vortex extension from Asia to Canada which prevented any meaningful cross polar amplification across the NH ......the 18z broke that vortex by T300 and now two runs later we see something way more interesting 

image.thumb.png.f96fc1d0e76f4ad08210ab07de14bb52.png

Yup. Glad to see that the first round of 12Z's didn't leave me looking like a fool with my 'still positive trends' comment earlier today

They are still alive: Hudson Low, Arctic High, Iceland High, Russia heights disappearing.

• Like 1