Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

GFS ensembles fail to take the mean above average for the entire run (that’s 15 days!)

The spread starts from day 9.

Yes we have no ‘Armageddon’ runs but overall it’s a cold and below average suit. Reading certain posts it seems we are heading for mild nivarna!

Hopefully we can get some snow on the ground this coming week, which should help negate some of the frustration in the thread.  

Then we have the SSW coming into the mix mid month onwards.

FFF4889C-9AFC-43CC-A05C-C9CB4095DBF6.thumb.png.6258f430cd71a861571aaa40f3c56926.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

ECM 12z T+96

image.thumb.png.c8fd797f465f3d1c5c7651d7b215acde.png

ECM 12z T+120

image.thumb.png.703003995d1a7f6f43c69c0a7c6537c1.png

Where does that LP between Greenland and Iceland spring up from out of nowhere in 24 hours?

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

I do chuckle when I see comments like "the models haven't got a clue" or "they haven't factored in the SSW yet".

They do and they have....

They are computer algorithms fed with a vast amount of information regarding current atmospheric conditions. The fact they vary so wildly right now, demonstrates the fact that these conditions are very volatile due to the fact we have an SSW happening at this moment and subject to change at very short notice, hence the multitude of possible outcomes we are seeing. They are also fed this information at different times. So what data one model is given, may have changed by the time another is given its input. 

So, what the models are showing us is that the weather itself is currently highly unpredictable.... 

Whatever happens, just watch and enjoy the show....  

Yes but how the algorithms cope with such rare event's it uncertain.  It's way away from climatic norms.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

much improved ECM this eve!

Colder as well

Not good for your area first half of the week though ? 

27DB70AC-281B-4A09-BAF3-C704482A2348.png

18D186DD-D4B0-4EA5-B72B-D0CFA0451635.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Good agreement between ECM and UKMO 12z

image.thumb.png.2879cb2a1c353b6b35fce114b8d2856f.png

image.png

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Ignore extra image - can't delete it !! (Extra image removed - DRL)

Posted
4 minutes ago, Trom said:

Yes but how the algorithms cope with such rare event's it uncertain.  It's way away from climatic norms.

Exactly. That's my point... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Ec looks to be flattening out on the 12z.not sure where fi is but the low existing the USA flattens things out in theory. Great nhp so I guess things subject to change.

Edited by Blessed Weather
Comment removed

Posted
3 minutes ago, Notty said:

Good agreement between ECM and UKMO 12z

image.thumb.png.2879cb2a1c353b6b35fce114b8d2856f.png

image.png

image.png

Good.. might indicate where ukm is heading too.  My two pennies worth if I may is that we again appear to have reached a blended solution for days 5 and 6 which is a safe bet usually.. sometimes one model is slightly more dominant than the other and it appears for this episode it was the euros..next time the balance might shift the other way, but its my mantra and usually serves well.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, XtremeUKWeather said:

What if UKMo is actually up to something bigger B0239FB5-8576-431C-B0E0-2B4BF31D39C6.thumb.jpeg.680813d3369c01de3130dd0772c25cf8.jpeg

Please could you explain

Posted
10 minutes ago, Trom said:

Well. Perhaps this was in the past so, but there seems to me enough vertical layers in e.g. EC-oper, to know what's going on. It's just a part of the atmosphere.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!
1 minute ago, Notty said:

Please could you explain

The point being with that set up the winds would come from much further east!! Plus much colder! Lucky if it happens tho but who knows ⛄⛄

MNR 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

ECM re-amping a lot better than this morning.

image.thumb.png.2fe0bf8978bd079a58d1be28cea8e55d.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Disappointing ECM run it must be said, there’s more amplification than the 0z but it’s about to be flattened again, hopefully we start to see some fast results from the SSW soon, otherwise I fear this place could become a toy missile launch centre

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Wedge?

image.thumb.png.e50ad2cdc9592924a67a196c333c58ba.png

A lot more amplified long may it contine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

For me, I am not too concerned about the change in model direction over the last 24 hours.  I suspect it is SSW related. Also I think it is highly likely to be temporary.  

If you remember yesterday, I demonstrated that there was a minimal push of westerly winds propagating down prior to the negative u winds associated with the SSW. Well, I think the models may have underestimated this, as can be seen from the ECM u wind forecast.  It appears that there is a greater push of westerlies into the trop. 

Thank you for admitting there were westerly winds propagating down. Perhaps what childish of me, but it is important, not for me, but for understanding what's going on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Notty said:

Please could you explain

image.thumb.png.0288c2a65037d4b1d9796c78aa08b2ac.pngThe highs seems to maybe connect , which could bring iin a long fetch north easterly 

Only if UKMO went out one more day

This high flattening and all sorts everyones saying could end up good in the long run

a SSW happening rn above us and weve just seen GFS change over to UKMO and ECM for +120 hrs, so theres always a chance we still see major swings

One more point, is that like some mentioned earlier that westerly winds needs to be 'flushed' out even tho they are weak, Models could be reacting to that hence this output, 

And those reversal winds come back straight after

All part of the downwelling process i assume

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Well. Perhaps this was in the past so, but there seems to me enough vertical layers in e.g. EC-oper, to know what's going on. It's just a part of the atmosphere.

Yes but the algorithms have relatively little training data on these events.  So in my opinion the jury's out with regards to the effects.  You could be right and ECM has it nailed but the models certainly did not in 2018 until sometime post event.  I'm not sure the underlying algorithms can have improved that much since then given the lack of events.  I think what is true that with the increased resolution in the vertical layers we will learn more from this event going forward which will improve modelling going forward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weathercold said:

UKMO/ECM have led the the way here, never in doubt when both singing from the same page. 

Not so sure ref UKMO, it is very much a short range model out to 144hrs. Weather predictions up to 120hrs are very accurate nowadays (except for a few notable very complicated scenarios like the present), and the UKMO 144 hrs this season have been very hit & miss.