Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted
1 hour ago, MKN said:

Looks like we just about have the right parameters to see some snow, Andddddd its dry. 

For those still hoping for something this is about the best... For 1am.

nmm_uk1-1-12-0.png

Still rain showers here. Snow cover hanging on.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Heavy snow now

1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Moderate snow shower atm 0c 

Been watching the Winking Man Webcam off and on, been blizzarding down at time's!  Just a pity nothing is making it over the moor's.  

Screenshot of what it's currently like up there

Winkingman.thumb.png.56dd39b5e5457d021efa210a133acdde.png

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Left work at 10pm, cycling home and we had a pretty brief but heavy shower. I'd say it was a 60/40 mix in favour of rain but there was some wintryness in there. Surprised it wasn't purely snow to be honest! The temp here is only 0.7c with a dew of 0.2. Maybe the dew needed to be half a degree lower. Fine margins

Edited by andy_leics22
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Anyway remember what i said about the showers dying away as soon as conditions become favourable for snow!!!thats exactly whats happened!!!seen it far too many times over the years!!!the more milder the air the more moisture content in the atmosphere i reckon with showers forming more easily!!!friday still up for grabs?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
12 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Anyway remember what i said about the showers dying away as soon as conditions become favourable for snow!!!thats exactly whats happened!!!seen it far too many times over the years!!!the more milder the air the more moisture content in the atmosphere i reckon with showers forming more easily!!!friday still up for grabs?

Absolutely crap innit! Will still be here mid Feb waiting for a decent snowfall. nevermind all this SSW business

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

Absolutely crap innit! Will still be here mid Feb waiting for a decent snowfall. nevermind all this SSW business

Most certainly mate!!!im not even gona bother with the model output thread right now cos as of now there is nothing of interest what so ever on the horizon apart from ssw!!!with that happening anythings possible but if it wasnt for that we would be in an even worse position than we are right now!!!as soon as the ecm and ukmo went flat the other day i had to say ciao in the mod thread for the time being cos i knew the gfs would backdown on the 12z that evening!!we are now looking at charts that are 10 days away again!!!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Most certainly mate!!!im not even gona bother with the model output thread right now cos as of now there is nothing of interest what so ever on the horizon apart from ssw!!!with that happening anythings possible but if it wasnt for that we would be in an even worse position than we are right now!!!as soon as the ecm and ukmo went flat the other day i had to say ciao in the mod thread for the time being cos i knew the gfs would backdown on the 12z that evening!!we are now looking at charts that are 10 days away again!!!

Still the potential for some snow for larger parts of the Midlands to end the working week. The GFS did get the streamer across the Midlands completely wrong today though.

81-780UK_ouz5.GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

GFS good for thurs/fri, but from next Monday it's SW'lys all the way, one run, but early spring, shorts out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Still the potential for some snow for larger parts of the Midlands to end the working week. The GFS did get the streamer across the Midlands completely wrong today though.

81-780UK_ouz5.GIF

Yeh was gona say its got the streamer badly wrong for today!!!theres is no streamer at all

• Like 2

Posted

I know the automated forecasts are highly unreliable but it’s good to see that the in-house models are showing the risk.

523DD6BF-3C9B-47AF-B450-CE9AFD981FDB.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A thin snow cover again this morning ( 0.5cm ) but enough to whiten everywhere, most of it has thawed since 1000 in sunny intervals this morning.

Posted
4 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Light snow in Stoke. Just giving a small dusting.

Doubt there'll be more today, had to walk up top of Norton to go Co-op, and it just doesn't feel anywhere near as cold that it's been the last week.  Even the small tiny breeze that there is just doesn't have that icy 'bite' to it. 

Dunno if it's because I've gotten used to the cold but it feels positively mild out there.

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Not a sniff here, clear and sunny, the straw grasping will not work i'm afraid.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Doubt there'll be more today, had to walk up top of Norton to go Co-op, and it just doesn't feel anywhere near as cold that it's been the last week.  Even the small tiny breeze that there is just doesn't have that icy 'bite' to it. 

Dunno if it's because I've gotten used to the cold but it feels positively mild out there.

Strange feels colder here than the last few days lol. Still frosty aswell which is an improvement. Still awaiting lying snow that last for more than 5 minutes since 2018 though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Band of Rain/sleet or whatever it decides to be heading SWW direction from East coast, maybe on target for Leicester. Might die out before it gets much further in land. Does feel cold out compared to yesterday. 

Posted

Still got partial snow cover, and the next few days and nights look colder. Aside from Sunday, there hasn’t been a substantial thaw.

Posted
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

Still got partial snow cover, and the next few days and nights look colder. Aside from Sunday, there hasn’t been a substantial thaw.

partial snow here too, GFS for Fri 9am

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

With the GFS still sticking to its guns for Thursday into Friday, snow or a dusting as such is still possible

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

With the GFS still sticking to its guns for Thursday into Friday, snow or a dusting as such is still possible

ICON looking better too but only for the north west of the region.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ICON looking better too but only for the north west of the region.

Can only assume ukmo is further east with the band of snow?ecm somewhere in the middle!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
21 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Can only assume ukmo is further east with the band of snow?ecm somewhere in the middle!!

Looks like its predicted to weaken as it the front goes South. Let's hope we get a dusting at least because from Saturday onwards it looks boring and average.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Pfft! bbc weather just a few flakes of snow possible on Friday, mostly way north of here the good stuff