Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

good to see you back ISAAC, remember you from few years ago

Hey, hope you're well Mark

Apparently, the last post i made was over 7 years ago. Has it really been that long .

Feeling quite optimistic for the weeks ahead, battleground snow prospects on the cards.

Edited by ISAAC

Posted
12 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

20 miles further West and the whole Midlands gets plastered. Ironic as models look better automated forecasts look worse.

20miles is well within the scope of adjustment at this time range. However i think settling snow maybe hard to come by in the midlands. Hopefully im wrong. Shame we can't travel as bardon hill 278m and beacon hill at 248m both in leicestershire may do well. 

Bardon hill even gets its own mountain weather forecast ⛰️

WWW.MOUNTAIN-FORECAST.COM

Bardon Hill, Cannock Chase, Other ranges of England, United Kingdom Mountain weather forecast for 278m. Detailed 6 day mountain...

Edited by MKN

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Am i right in thinking pretty much every model now has snow for at least some parts of the Midlands tomorrow?

Posted

I think it'll be wet snow at best from what i've seen sparkie, wouldnt expect any accumulations. And that just sums up this winter, i feel blessed to have seen some snowfall but its always been transient and not part of some deep embedded good old fashioned cold spell. That said, 6 days of lying snow thus far has been fantastic but doesnt anyone else just feel a sense of inevitability that its just 'one of those winters' that has shown signs of promise but either there wasnt enough of a cold pool out to our east or the atlantic has been too strong? Danny defeatist here, but ive got low expectations for the days, possibly even weeks, ahead

1 minute ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Am i right in thinking pretty much every model now has snow for at least some parts of the Midlands tomorrow?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Would be happy just to see snow falling again as it’s pretty to watch. But I hope you guys further East do well, especially with how the previous cold spell went for some of you. Some of the snow shields to our East could do with a massive kick up the bottom. (Don’t mind if snow shields in the Western part of the Midlands get smashed apart either )

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

The models are looking good for some if not all of the Midlands - even down to here.

But I wouldn't count on anything.   Expect rain.  Be prepared to be surprised.  Don't be disappointed if you are not

• Like 1

Posted

Temperatures now going beyond what was predicted today. Many places into double digits, and with dew points doing the same, it's a right mild miserable soup out there.

What is amazing is the temperature difference across short distances. I could drive for only an hour and go from 10C to 3C.

Going to be interesting to watch how this all meanders around for the next couple of days.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
12 minutes ago, Gord said:

Temperatures now going beyond what was predicted today. Many places into double digits, and with dew points doing the same, it's a right mild miserable soup out there.

What is amazing is the temperature difference across short distances. I could drive for only an hour and go from 10C to 3C.

Going to be interesting to watch how this all meanders around for the next couple of days.

Currently (15:05) 4c in Scaldwell part of Northants

Posted

slight shift west  on 12z models   Icon nowhere near perfect  for all  but quite a shift west from its previous run    Arome slightly more west also.

To be honest  models always struggle  with blocks to our east   Window time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

12 ICON More realistic in my opinion, although of course I hope it has drastically underestimated snowfall!

iconeu_uk1-46-30-0.png

Posted
3 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

12 ICON More realistic in my opinion, although of course I hope it has drastically underestimated snowfall!

iconeu_uk1-46-30-0.png

Yep  however the icon is further east.  The latest Arome gives most of The midlands 8-10 hours of snow   will it stick is another matter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

Yep  however the icon is further east.  The latest Arome gives most of The midlands 8-10 hours of snow   will it stick is another matter

Yes AROME does look better, also apparently the 12Z UKV is better than the 9Z for snow (courtesy of model thread)

UKV12z.png.10ff647b2d1393944abfe53adc067763.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Few spots according to that model   may see a wintery theme 

image.thumb.png.6f44c20b2722866437022dc523305225.png

Got any charts from icon mate?good start to the 12zs for the midlands!!2 to 5cms in general!awaiting gfs and gfs para!!ukv waay to far west for me!!

Edited by sheikhy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Met Office says 1 hour of light sleet here, ready for rain then drizzly with thick cloud i think.

Edited by DIS1970

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
57 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Another shunt west from the arp 12z

image.thumb.png.74b29d05be3cb2547735bcfe44ada475.png    image.thumb.png.7729de1e492ab4bb93edf45dacb84a5a.png

Think we need it more south now to drag the cold air into the Mids. I think a few flakes on the back edge for West Mids with East Mids getting a few cms.

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Definite upgrade there!!!just 2 runs ago gfs hardly had anything at all!!!

GFSP has more widespread snow and large accumulations but it’s known to have a cold bias.