Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted

Just had a lovely walk with the dogs on Harmer Hill (about a mile from me), still snowing small flakes but coming down quite hard.

The light stuff an hour or two ago wasnt adding to it, it was just melting into surfaces that had been cleared but this stuff is sticking on them again. Much better event than I expected!

20210124_144046.jpg

20210124_144042.jpg

Posted
1 minute ago, phil nw. said:

A bit of a stretch i think.Still you can never rule it out with deep snow cover and if skies clear early enough to allow more night time radiative cooling.

but for that, we'd need the front and its cloud to bugger off south as fast as possible, but then we get less snow...so it's swings and roundabouts lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

It is  fronts starting to drop slightly  westwards 

The stuff around Notts now moving directly east to west, its a great sign, I expect it to drop within the hour, 

We need as much ppn to the west as poss, 

I'v just watched the update forecast on BBC was updated around 25 min ago, it talks of "more centimeters" tonight for the mids as it slips south. 

A lot of my snow at 59asl has melted, it's living on low ground with modest uppers 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it
15 minutes ago, DerbyshireDales said:

Jealous! Only up the road in Matlock and nothing here! 

Really? Oh man that's a shame. Yep been heavy here for a good 2 hours Id say. Must be so close to you!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!
2 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

The stuff around Notts now moving directly east to west, its a great sign, I expect it to drop within the hour, 

We need as much ppn to the west as poss, 

I'v just watched the update forecast on BBC was updated around 25 min ago, it talks of "more centimeters" tonight for the mids as it slips south. 

A lot of my snow at 59asl has melted, it's living on low ground with modest uppers 

Thinking the gritting teams will be busy tonight across the region

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it
1 minute ago, AltonMatthew said:

Well it’s still coming down here thick and fast latest depth check we now sit at 11cm of snow in Alton, Staffordshire. 

front has stalled right on top of us! This is mega! 

No sign of an amber warning yet if it keeps falling for an hour or 2 we are going to hit 20cm! 

Actually maybe it's Alton that's the winner

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
18 minutes ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

Anyone near Derby here? How much settled snow do you have at the moment?

Yes, we have about 8cm now in south west Derby. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS
4 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Movement of front, but it may die out before getting too near Brum

IMG_20210124_151231.jpg

Its not forecast to die out before brum but it will start decaying. I think many areas will see a top up before the day is out. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, mother nature rocks said:

Thinking the gritting teams will be busy tonight across the region

Ours are still nice and cosy tucked up in the depots

WWW.STOKE.GOV.UK

View location of gritters in Stoke-on-Trent

Meanwhile the snow has started to stick to the roads...

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

So after taking a detailed look at the radar and after several loops of the radar, i have came to this conclusion. This is my opinion based on from what i just mentioned and not from any forecast or model.

So the centre of a low is currently based in Wales and looks like its heading SE, and as it does, the arrows i have made on the weather front is an idea how it could be moving in the next few hours. Hope its some what understandable, and we will see it it comes to fruition. 

And it is still snowing very lightly here.

gm.PNG

gm1.PNG

hghg.PNG

Edited by Sparkiee storm
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
20 minutes ago, mother nature rocks said:

So as the two circulation systems over wales and Devon head south south east- they’re dragging the ppn from east to west then the whole band will drop south south east too!! Decaying as it does but thinking this will happen more so further south than us in the mids!!

Would not be surprised if we all got an extra inch or two later on!! 

MNR ⛄

Agreed MNR, we are just waiting on this feature moving SE before what’s in the North Midlands can start to sink back South

This is the 12z UKV but don't read to much into the precipitation, this just gives you the idea on hopefully what is going to happen

77D1FBB8-CA18-4A4B-A816-BAB377BE1261.thumb.jpeg.e1d66e130754d8733db0eb3cbea33567.jpeg

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, biting winds, frigid temperatures and thunderstorms

Best snow in years here in Barrow-on-Soar, just back from sledging with the kids! Roads are a bit dodgy! Made my year❄️

• Like 2

Posted

Bit heavier here atm than it has been, The last 3 hours has seen mainly snizzle which has not added to what fell before. Probably 3-4cms currently. 

Posted

Very heavy snow here in Nottingham city centre . Definitely worse the further south in the city you are which is unusual 

It looks like a few more hours of this with intensity lessening over time