Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

GFS goes wrong again, key 12Z's coming up, bods mention this parallel, but isn't it lower res than op

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

I cannot remember a year of such frequent temperature contrasts over such small distances. Currently it is a tropical 8c here but less than 10 miles away it is still 3c at very similar altitudes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

GFS goes wrong again, key 12Z's coming up, bods mention this parallel, but isn't it lower res than op

Nope -  the parallel is the new test version where they are trying to  increase the resolution /magnification in all directions, Particularly applies to the atmosphere, where they are hoping to model into the upper troposphere. 

The reason it is so long in taking over from the GFS is that it has had operational issues.

It has to run for 30days without issues before they will consider using it.

Blessed Weather put a reference to all this in the MOD thread a couple of days back.

MIA

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Hideous output from the GFS. Thankfully it looks to be out on its own (for now). Still think we’ll see an easterly but less potent than some of the charts that have been churning out. Low pressure from the south maybe having some influence but less than shown by the GFS.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Dare i say it, has turned bright & MILD! here now. Not banking on charts over 3 days away, the UK's weather is just too unpredictable and stressful for many - especially on this forum (not myself!).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

Our neighbours in Scotland look to do very well this week, the MO warning suggests the possibility of a red warning being issued for parts of Scotland 

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.58.50.png

Posted
5 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Our neighbours in Scotland look to do very well this week, the MO warning suggests the possibility of a red warning being issued for parts of Scotland 

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.58.50.png

One of my Facebook friends likes in Carrbridge, in the Highlands. One of the snowiest parts of the U.K. anyway but he’s had deep snow cover since 29th December.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

One of my Facebook friends likes in Carrbridge, in the Highlands. One of the snowiest parts of the U.K. anyway but he’s had deep snow cover since 29th December.

It’d be a dream to live up there but you’re restricted for commutable jobs there, Inverness is commutable but the job market is quite restricted. Working from home though and you’re laughing!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

It’d be a dream to live up there but you’re restricted for commutable jobs there, Inverness is commutable but the job market is quite restricted. Working from home though and you’re laughing!

Lucky sods! It’s like a whole other world!

8FC9417C-2919-4F01-BFCF-0F317E0F635B.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The mild air is taking a long time to reach here. All the trees etc above 290 mts are still covered in clear ice and the temperature is only just above 0c. Thick fog too for good measure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
4 hours ago, wolvesman said:

I cannot remember a year of such frequent temperature contrasts over such small distances. Currently it is a tropical 8c here but less than 10 miles away it is still 3c at very similar altitudes.

A few weeks back it was 0 in Buxton and a Blizzard yet 20 odd miles away in Chesterfield it was 10c the tempreture drop was dramatic too it went from 10c down to 1 in about an hour and half or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Anyone seen the latest GFS? - not looking too clever again, very touch and go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Managed to dodge the rain today It had already passed over this morning when I woke up it was just the dreggs. All wet not white.

Saw Some nice pics from my sister in shef, the got quite abit of snow.

Second band of rain coming in now I really hope we get a break soon of this constant rainy weather our garden is flooded worse than last year and it is getting very concerning. Nowhere for dog to go toilet it's all underwater coming closer to the backdoor. The house is higher up but my outbuilding with all our stuff in it is not really don't want to have to move it all out.

Looking forward to the weekend with possible cold weather incoming not going to hold my breath I have seen these setups disappear with a day to go.. 

On the plus side if it does freeze my whole garden will be an ice rink.

6c here damp and dreary. 

My outbuilding roof is leaking also so thrown a big tarp on that. It's all fun times. Lots of work to be done in summer.. I don't know what I can do to stop the garden flooding we are landscaping it all next year but if it is going to flood like this It will ruin everything. 

Past the pillars it is around 6inches deep and in the low spots of the garden it's more than a foot.

IMG-20210202-WA0007.jpg

Edited by WinterWilf

Posted
18 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Still looks poor for cold. Still looks very much on its own.

Posted
31 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

improvement on 06Z, key EC coming up, just seen bbc weather, very confident of cold easterly from Sat 6th

Posted
1 hour ago, Terminal Moraine said:

The mild air is taking a long time to reach here. All the trees etc above 290 mts are still covered in clear ice and the temperature is only just above 0c. Thick fog too for good measure!

ages to reach here too, mighty cold walk, but it's here now

Posted
19 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Still looks poor for cold. Still looks very much on its own.

Finally got a few Snow Symbols on the Metoffice app for Sun ST7 postcode. No doubt be shorts weather then

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 hour ago, WinterWilf said:

Managed to dodge the rain today It had already passed over this morning when I woke up it was just the dreggs. All wet not white.

Saw Some nice pics from my sister in shef, the got quite abit of snow.

Second band of rain coming in now I really hope we get a break soon of this constant rainy weather our garden is flooded worse than last year and it is getting very concerning. Nowhere for dog to go toilet it's all underwater coming closer to the backdoor. The house is higher up but my outbuilding with all our stuff in it is not really don't want to have to move it all out.

Looking forward to the weekend with possible cold weather incoming not going to hold my breath I have seen these setups disappear with a day to go.. 

On the plus side if it does freeze my whole garden will be an ice rink.

6c here damp and dreary. 

My outbuilding roof is leaking also so thrown a big tarp on that. It's all fun times. Lots of work to be done in summer.. I don't know what I can do to stop the garden flooding we are landscaping it all next year but if it is going to flood like this It will ruin everything. 

Past the pillars it is around 6inches deep and in the low spots of the garden it's more than a foot.

IMG-20210202-WA0007.jpg

I feel for you but on the positive side hopefully come next week you’ll have a makeshift ice rink ⛸⛸⛸⛸

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Is it me or has the mod thread become unbearable recently? One minute everyone is predicting the next ice age and the next its all.doom and gloom. Really is annoying we live in the u.k not the north pole we dont need it to be minus 50.for snow! I will be keeping my eye on the regional threads next week as when it will.snow.and how much we won't know until the cold arrives 

• Like 5

Posted
16 minutes ago, Shezale coventry said:

Is it me or has the mod thread become unbearable recently? One minute everyone is predicting the next ice age and the next its all.doom and gloom. Really is annoying we live in the u.k not the north pole we dont need it to be minus 50.for snow! I will be keeping my eye on the regional threads next week as when it will.snow.and how much we won't know until the cold arrives 

For us and all the rest of the S, the low on EC and GFS is too far north, we'll be mostly dry, cutting off the convection, the only snow we get on the 12Z EC is at 216 (thu 11th) when the Atlantic moves in, and that's all thawed by Friday 12th the next day, but a lot of runs to go, whole thing is still in FI,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

For us and all the rest of the S, the low on EC and GFS is too far north, we'll be mostly dry, cutting off the convection, the only snow we get on the 12Z EC is at 216 (thu 11th) when the Atlantic moves in, and that's all thawed by Friday 12th the next day, but a lot of runs to go, whole thing is still in FI,

At this stage i wouldn't take notice of any chart or snow predictions untill the cold comes in. Get the cold in then worry about snow

• Like 1