Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

Now their app changes to something more wintry having only shown rain while we were under the warning

3ED28554-4CE6-40B1-95E6-ADFCB81A17A8.jpeg

So as the temperatures rise and the precipitation gets lighter the sleet will turn to snow - those weather apps are just bonkers.

Posted

It's been a brilliant and frustrating winter all at the same time for us here hasn't it?

It feels like we have been within touching distance of a once in a generation epic winter.

At the same time, it also feels like, in equal measure, that we've been in touching distance of the biggest letdown and disappointment we've seen since the dawn of internet forums!

However, for us, this halfway house has been more than acceptable. Not without some luck too.

I just feel for those further south and east who have yet had nothing...and in theory, they should be closer to the colder air.

If the big easterly never happens this winter, we'll be arguing nationwide about how good this winter was for many years to come!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, wolvesman said:

So as the temperatures rise and the precipitation gets lighter the sleet will turn to snow - those weather apps are just bonkers.

Not only rising near the surface but higher up in the atmosphere too. Really doesn’t make sense!

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

Despite living in the Midlands I work for a Company based in Hove and prior to lockdown was spending around half my time down there. From a weather perspective winter time is very bleak down on the South coast often wet and windy but with very little in the way of snow or even frost so can understand the excitement when a possible easterly seems imminent. However mid March to mid September the weather is so much better than here with lots more sun and generally less humid weather. So whilst I have had lots of jealous work colleagues admiring some of my snowy pictures this winter I know I will be equally jealous looking at the blue sky and sunshine days on the coast in mid summer so do not have that much sympathy. You make your choice of where you live and make the most of the corresponding weather fortunes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Next Sunday GFS 12z

image.thumb.png.72ccb5e603887bfc021ac424b68850f7.pngimage.thumb.png.b1ce578b791be84c51fcf3cc01f2e7a5.png

A little bit chilly if this comes off! ❄️

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, B-C said:

Next Sunday GFS 12z

image.thumb.png.72ccb5e603887bfc021ac424b68850f7.pngimage.thumb.png.b1ce578b791be84c51fcf3cc01f2e7a5.png

A little bit chilly if this comes off! ❄️

Don't let Matt see that, the only place it misses is Stoke lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

Aye, none for me, weird chart, all will see snow off that

Posted
2 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

always is crap with an easterly wind in stoke...never understood the digital orgasms over the beast from the east! cold grey and bland prefer a NW streamer anytime

Posted
4 minutes ago, Monkeypants said:

always is crap with an easterly wind in stoke...never understood the digital orgasms over the beast from the east! cold grey and bland prefer a NW streamer anytime

Yeah it wasn’t  great here in terms of snow. Some snow showers got through but the Peak District and Staffordshire Moorlands eat up most precipitation from the east. More especially for north Stoke. The far south isn’t as sheltered.

It’s a bit ironic that more significant cold tends to bring less snow to locations like Stoke.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Yeah it wasn’t  great here in terms of snow. Some snow showers got through but the Peak District and Staffordshire Moorlands eat up most precipitation from the east. More especially for north Stoke. The far south isn’t as sheltered.

It’s a bit ironic that more significant cold tends to bring less snow to locations like Stoke.

Stafford normally good location for E'lys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Can hope for those of us that want it, that many of us will see some snowy conditions from the East or North-East at times. Particularly on the likes on the GFS where the flow does look particularly cold and unstable, especially for Sunday this week. Quite a lot of potent snow showers and perhaps some longer spells of snow I would imagine, if it came off. And probably not just necessarily for Eastern parts of the Midlands

Posted
14 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Can hope for those of us that want it, that many of us will see some snowy conditions from the East or North-East at times. Particularly on the likes on the GFS where the flow does look particularly cold and unstable, especially for Sunday this week. Quite a lot of potent snow showers and perhaps some longer spells of snow I would imagine, if it came off. And probably not just necessarily for Eastern parts of the Midlands

Throw in some troughs and low pressure systems coming in at just the right angle.

Surely not too much to ask

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Throw in some troughs and low pressure systems coming in at just the right angle.

That would be even better ❄️ No snow shields would stand a chance against that

Posted
28 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

When was that event in March, was it 2013? Deep snow in every direction, but the ground barely covered here. Hour after hour staring at a gap in the radar that never filled in while snowmageddon raged 10 miles in any direction. Now that hurt!

Posted
1 minute ago, davehsug said:

When was that event in March, was it 2013? Deep snow in every direction, but the ground barely covered here. Hour after hour staring at a gap in the radar that never filled in while snowmageddon raged 10 miles in any direction. Now that hurt!

Wouldn’t know. I lived in Kent at the time. Saw a lot of very heavy snowfall but little accumulation because of the strength of the sun in the south at that time of year. It was a good event but frustrating!

Posted
50 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Stafford normally good location for E'lys

Likewise provided it is anything East of rather than North of NE tends to be quite good for the Birmingham/Black country region - otherwise it tends to be an East Midlands only affair. Does look quite exciting for a few days early next week. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Gord said:

It's been a brilliant and frustrating winter all at the same time for us here hasn't it?

It feels like we have been within touching distance of a once in a generation epic winter.

At the same time, it also feels like, in equal measure, that we've been in touching distance of the biggest letdown and disappointment we've seen since the dawn of internet forums!

However, for us, this halfway house has been more than acceptable. Not without some luck too.

I just feel for those further south and east who have yet had nothing...and in theory, they should be closer to the colder air.

If the big easterly never happens this winter, we'll be arguing nationwide about how good this winter was for many years to come!

this sums it up perfectly. the midlands and northern england have seen the best of it really. Im glad 8 days ago a good swathe of the mids, and SE england a little too, got a nice snowfall and for most of us in the black country area we've had 2 decent snowfall events since the end of december with some smaller falls inbetween. Can't grumble at all, but you cant help but feel if the scandi block had established with an iberian low firmly in place, what could've been instead of these transient cold spells/snowfall events we've had. Sadly, the atlantic influence has never been far away and tomorrow exemplifies that with double figures forecast for most. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
49 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

That would be even better ❄️ No snow shields would stand a chance against that

12z Gfs has amazing precipitation charts for Sunday into early next week and with uppers favouring nothing but Snowfall it could be continuous for two days

image.thumb.gif.ac29829b81a4c9e3cd26accfa36d559d.gif

• Like 1

Posted

The b word was shown the other day so I got very excited and it certainly didn t dissapoint.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

12z Gfs has amazing precipitation charts for Sunday into early next week and with uppers favouring nothing but Snowfall it could be continuous for two days

EC too, all 3 looking good, but a long way off, easily go wrong

ECM1-144.GIF?01-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

EC too, all 3 looking good, but a long way off, easily go wrong

ECM1-144.GIF?01-0

Yes absolutely, we’ve been on here long enough over time in seeing that happen but I’m very confident for this incoming cold from the East will verify.... what will come with it will have to be seen  

Posted
27 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Nope we def don't want that. Needs to be further North and West for Stoke lol

• Like 1

Posted

Being serious though folks, what sort of temps we looking at next week. 

People in the mod thread keep going on about the BFTE in 2018, however for us, I still say 2010 was far more severe. Never forget arriving at Manchester Airport one morning and it showing -15c at 7am.

Posted

For the first time in my life I’m looking at freezing cold easterly model output and thinking ‘Bring back the Atlantic!’ because that brought more snow here than the charts are showing for this easterly

Posted
52 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

A snowy heaven that chart is! ?? (admittedly for Solihull anyway , but agree with Andy, just needs an extra tiny shift North to benefit bit more for some of the North-Western Midlands members  )

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
meant to have put Andy in post
  • Like 1