Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
23 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Snow cover absolutely decimated here. From winter wonderland to just patchy snow cover. It seems to have been much milder here than most places today but even when we’ve had temperatures below freezing and full cloud cover in the middle of winter, we’ve still seen considerable snow melt. I don’t understand it.

Stokes unique climate. My experience of living there is your dead cert to see several snow falls a season normally but the actual measurements vary greatly across the city.  My old haunt in Norton Heights would get more snow than down by the A500, and it varied greatly by distance. Plus if you are struggling for snow, a 30 min drive into the Moorlands or Peaks gives you some impressive snow at some points of winter.

Areas like Solihull get a good dump every few years and it lasts a bit longer because it's deeper but ultimately Stoke wins in the snow stakes.

Edited by RobR

Posted
Just now, RobR said:

Stokes unique climate. My experience of living there is your dead cert to see several snow falls a season normally but the actual measurements vary greatly across the city.

Areas like Solihull get a good dump every few years and it lasts a bit longer because it's deeper but ultimately Stoke wins in the snow stakes.

Thing I find with Stoke mate, is since 1996, we not really had that much Snow. Through the 80s we regularly had massive drifts top of Kidsgrove bank, but the last major fall I'd say was around 1996 when prob had around 8 inches one Fri night / Sat morning. 

Since then we have had the occasional fall of around 4inches (10cm), but tend to miss out on the massive falls other places get. Even in 2010 when we had the really severe cold of minus double digits, we had hardly any snow.

Having said that, Alsager and Crewe are even worse and I honestly don't think I've ever seen Snow in Crewe 

Posted
11 minutes ago, RobR said:

Stokes unique climate. My experience of living there is your dead cert to see several snow falls a season normally but the actual measurements vary greatly across the city.  My old haunt in Norton Heights would get more snow than down by the A500, and it varied greatly by distance. Plus if you are struggling for snow, a 30 min drive into the Moorlands or Peaks gives you some impressive snow at some points of winter.

Unfortunately, I can’t drive, so I’m limited as to how far I can travel. I do notice big differences in snow amounts over the relatively small distances I do travel though. The city of Stoke itself gets the least and any snow there melts the quickest. Longton, where I live, gets more but the higher and rural areas get a lot more. Trentham just down the road and Weston Coyney a couple of miles from me get a lot more. Stoke’s way with snow does seem to be little but often. Many small snowfalls each winter but rarely anything really substantial. Still don’t understand how snow manages to melt in sub zero temperatures in the heart of winter though.

Does make me laugh when people tell me Stoke doesn’t really get a lot of snow. This place is like Narnia to this ex Londoner. I’ve seen more snowfalls and frosts in 5 years up here than I saw in 30 years in the South East!

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

Exactly, the dumps are minor, I think 10cm falls are the max for the city since 2008 and as mentioned above even in 2010 back here in Solihull there was 15cm or more but a dusting in Stoke.

But you know I preferred the frequent nature instead though enjoying this deeper snow for once. And next winter I will be in the snow desert of Nantwich/Crewe (though I did see Crewe with snow at the weekend on an official government approved visit) though it was extremely patchy. 

Posted
48 minutes ago, RobR said:

Exactly, the dumps are minor, I think 10cm falls are the max for the city since 2008 and as mentioned above even in 2010 back here in Solihull there was 15cm or more but a dusting in Stoke.

But you know I preferred the frequent nature instead though enjoying this deeper snow for once. And next winter I will be in the snow desert of Nantwich/Crewe (though I did see Crewe with snow at the weekend on an official government approved visit) though it was extremely patchy. 

Crewe and Alsager are very strange mate. Many times I've been on a Taxi fare and gone from Snow at Talke Lights, to absolute Zilch at Church Lawton lights. Lol

Posted

Yeah not expecting much especially due to the altitude but there must be a perk to being on the Cheshire plains? Storms? High temps? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Just about to go out to defrost the wife's car and the van sitting at -2c here at the mo it did get to around -4.5c so the milder air is coming in and I expect temps to rise significantly with another big melt today.

The rain incoming later that is the end for now. Would have rather it stuck around a few days longer we had such a good amount for once couple of ice days would have been nice.

Nevermind maybe a couple more prospects to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Few flakes blowing around in the wind here might start as snow but won't last as the rain moves in. Rapid thaw incoming.

• Like 1

Posted

It's funny how despite the fact we've had a really nice amount of snowfall, you cant help but feel despondent when the thaw happens and some sort of zonality resumes. Thats exactly how it feels today, and no imminent cold spell on the horizon either. Oh well, i'd rather it melted pretty quickly now and i can get back on my bike again!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Sunday up in the air, could end up like today, very weak front, or like GFS 00Z where Atlantic blasts through 10 degree heat, or like 06Z, much better angle and snow

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The radar shows light precipitation right over my area at the moment but nothing is falling from the sky. The front seems to be very weak away from the north west. Current temp' is 0.3c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
50 minutes ago, Terminal Moraine said:

The radar shows light precipitation right over my area at the moment but nothing is falling from the sky. The front seems to be very weak away from the north west. Current temp' is 0.3c.

Thaw underway here now, snow looking sloppy, very light sleet now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

Sat at Black country museum taking someone for a jab. Been sleeting for last half hr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Been trying to rain (with a bit of splodge mixed in) for about half an hour. But very light.

Temperature at 3.3C now and steadily rising,

7cms left on the lawn.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age