Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted

The heavier precipitation is now moving into Stoke as the front stalls! Wahoo!

Walked down the canal until I got to the south of the snow band. Now walking back up to Longton and the snow is get heavier again.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

its just NOT moving back south. Prove me wrong someone please!!

Give it time, if you look at the full radar map you can see two small surface lows beginning to rotate right next to each other (one over Wales and the other over Devon), they will probably start to 'orbit' each other and pull the band back south as they do. The top of the band has already started to move from the East to the West.

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I was surprised how far north this got looking at the radar.Hopefully many more of us in the region have seen some today.

I did ok here in Nuneaton with around 5 cm so far,enough to see families making snowmen and sledging on the common behind us.Great to see the little ones enjoying this ,some for the first time.

I am too old now to play in it lol,but there's something magical about snow falling and seeing everywhere under a white blanket.

A quick glance at the last UKV model shows the band coming south again this evening but fragmenting as it does.Still the way to look at it anymore is a bonus.

Looking like a good freeze tonight.Surface temp 06z Monday morning-

cold.thumb.png.fb0b2a3b00a741da2e0b01ab712561b7.png

Looks icy in the morning so take care everyone.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 1

Posted

You can see a slow southwest movement in system now on its western edge. Expect Stafford towards Telford may see a pepping up soon. 

Here in the West Mids think we need to be a bit more patient but it should move through later for a top up. 

looking like Derby Nottingham in the sweet spot right now. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, phil nw. said:

I was surprised how far north this got looking at the radar.Hopefully many more of us in the region have seen some today.

I did ok here in Nuneaton with around 5 cm so far,enough to see families making snowmen and sledging on the common behind us.Great to see the little ones enjoying this ,some for the first time.

I am too old now to play in it lol,but there's something magical about snow falling and seeing everywhere under a white blanket.

A quick glance at the last UKV model shows the band coming south again this evening but fragmenting as it does.Still the way to look at it anymore is a bonus.

Looking like a good freeze tonight.Surface temp 05z Monday morning-

Never to old mate 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, phil nw. said:

Looking like a good freeze tonight.Surface temp 05z Monday morning-

Phil any chance of minus double digits anywhere in the Midlands tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat
13 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

For those directly South of somewhere like Stafford, you are going to want to the intensity of the band increasing and building as far west as possible, when the natural drift south/se happens that's the only way areas like that see anymore notable snow. 

Some event this turned out to be, from such a thin band of snow too. Closing in on 9CM here now on the Rugeley side of the Chase, although it has stopped.

If we can keep some intensity on the western edge, it was naturally drift slowly southwards. 

Otherwise, let's get it dark and frosty now so we can keep this. 

7th lying snowfall of the winter, but this is the first 'snow day' - todays accumulation is deeper than all of the previous 6 combined!

Be interesting to see if we can sneak another midweek too. 

For all of this talk about SSW hype and failings (mostly disgruntled folk south of the M4) we have seen more falling snow days this winter than we have for many numerous years. 

Very true, I've actually lost count of days where we've had lying snow since Christmas, at least 6 or 7. Today has been the best though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

The heavier precipitation is now moving into Stoke as the front stalls! Wahoo!

Walked down the canal until I got to the south of the snow band. Now walking back up to Longton and the snow is get heavier again.

Stoke will get the best now, heavy stuff now to my north, around 8cms so great event, but Stoke should get more than that

Posted

It’s definitely been different this year. Usually if there is snow to be had we get it up here. This year we seem to be watching further south get it all! Ha ha. Hardly had any in matlock so far, other than the bit yesterday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Anyone near Derby here? How much settled snow do you have at the moment?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Stoke will get the best now, heavy stuff now to my north, around 8cms so great event, but Stoke should get more than that

Beginning to come down faster now Still only about 5p size flakes atm though and not sticking yet.

Posted
2 minutes ago, suxer said:

Never to old mate 

Oh don't get me wrong i love to walk in it and take pics but i think my sledging days are over. 

Posted

difficult to say  here in Derby it has actually got even heavier and gusty winds possibly 4 to 5 inches here in the countryside just west of Derby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold cold cold!!

So as the two circulation systems over wales and Devon head south south east- they’re dragging the ppn from east to west then the whole band will drop south south east too!! Decaying as it does but thinking this will happen more so further south than us in the mids!!

Would not be surprised if we all got an extra inch or two later on!! 

MNR ⛄

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

What a winter. Sweet spot every time. Luck has got to run out eventually.

Posted
5 minutes ago, fiftytwodegreesnorth said:

Phil any chance of minus double digits anywhere in the Midlands tonight?

A bit of a stretch i think.Still you can never rule it out with deep snow cover and if skies clear early enough to allow more night time radiative cooling.

• Thanks 1