Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted
4 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

Not only other parts of the country but even here In the Midlands most parts haven’t done well at all yes Snow did fall but other parts have done much much better than other parts. So it is understandable people are frustrated.

It been strange   what are you  10 miles  down the road      just down to luck i suppose     quite a bit of the falls have been marginal    that extra few metres could make all the difference.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
7 minutes ago, Sleet30031972 said:

It's got to be relatively unusual right? A cold front coming in from the west with the west always remaining in much colder air than the east? Odd set up for UK that right? 

I seem to remember these events were more prevalent in the 90s (growing up in North West, near Bolton) I can remember several rain to snow events during High School days and the ensuing school closure and bus chaos - probably 4 events between 91 - 97, with back edge snow from systems moving south east over the region. Seemed to stop happening after that - every event became a front edge, with mixing from the Irish sea meaning nothing but cold rain anywhere west of higher parts of Rochdale, while Huddersfield would get a pasting! Found this scenario similar to those 90s event, albeit with an exceptionally sharp temperature gradient and possibly the fastest rain to snow transition I've ever witnessed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Radar has the snow for Stoke through the small hours from Cheshire gap. Lucky buggers, the first Winter i'm not in the area since 2009.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

White over with snow here and still snowing lightly. The temperature fell from 8.3c at 1900 to 1.0c by 2130 and it's now -0.2c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
7 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Another bust here in the East Midlands. The winter that just keeps giving 

East Midlands had a nightmare ain’t it 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it
5 minutes ago, Selliso said:

I seem to remember these events were more prevalent in the 90s (growing up in North West, near Bolton) I can remember several rain to snow events during High School days and the ensuing school closure and bus chaos - probably 4 events between 91 - 97, with back edge snow from systems moving south east over the region. Seemed to stop happening after that - every event became a front edge, with mixing from the Irish sea meaning nothing but cold rain anywhere west of higher parts of Rochdale, while Huddersfield would get a pasting! Found this scenario similar to those 90s event, albeit with an exceptionally sharp temperature gradient and possibly the fastest rain to snow transition I've ever witnessed.

Yes I'm from Rochdale so recognise all that. But, what I find odd about today is that, in the events you describe above, the cold air progressed east. Today, in Belper, there wasn't a problem with precipitation. It just never got cold. Even when the front had been and gone. And it remains several degrees colder 5o the west even now. Odd.. 

Posted

It's a real slushy mess on the pavements and roads out there, still mostly covered but very wet especially near trees and hedges (I've noticed that this winter, it seems to be melting and dripping off them very quickly) but the grass is still covered with fluffy stuff as are the bins and roofs.

Sky seems to be clearing now, best thing would be for it to freeze then have a few more snow showers to cover it up where its gone slushy. If it freezes without any more snow it'll be an ice rink. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
7 minutes ago, weirpig said:

It been strange   what are you  10 miles  down the road      just down to luck i suppose     quite a bit of the falls have been marginal    that extra few metres could make all the difference.

In Northants Corby about 140 metres not high ground but not low it was rain. Then  when got to fens sea level the other Friday the  cooling set in turned to snow  over sea level just not fell right here this year lol got to laugh 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Summer of 95 said:

It's a real slushy mess on the pavements and roads out there, still mostly covered but very wet especially near trees and hedges (I've noticed that this winter, it seems to be melting and dripping off them very quickly) but the grass is still covered with fluffy stuff as are the bins and roofs.

Sky seems to be clearing now, best thing would be for it to freeze then have a few more snow showers to cover it up where its gone slushy. If it freezes without any more snow it'll be an ice rink. 

Yep  Temps are rising  slowly    here at the moment its 0.2c      still at least we have seen some snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
Just now, MattStoke said:

Yep incoming.

8297525B-5C58-49F8-A280-5C6B731006C0.jpeg

Thats a bullseye for me. Hope all the unlucky mids get in on the action the weekend. Elevation has been crucial this Winter.

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Yep incoming.

8297525B-5C58-49F8-A280-5C6B731006C0.jpeg

The front  from wales as made it over the border    and the front from the chesire gap  just keeps intensifying      

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
19 minutes ago, Selliso said:

I agree I must say it was the fastest transition I’ve seen from rain to snow.

Posted

4-5 inches on car/bins/benches 3/4 inches on tarmac... impressive after so much rain and laying on puddles.... feel for people dealing with flooding though.... will only get worse in next couple of days.. extraordinary weather events... 

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, RobR said:

Radar has the snow for Stoke through the small hours from Cheshire gap. Lucky buggers, the first Winter I'm not in the area since 2009.

Still snowing.

• Like 1

Posted

Went to bed around 7 last night as had to be up at 3 for work this morning.

Was woken up by an almighty thump on the bedroom window as the cold front hit. Then the snow hit and suddenly was laying quite thick.

So I threw on some clothes and took my car up to the main road as I didn’t want to chance not getting out this morning. Could not believe how heavy the snow was.

But needn’t have bothered. A lot had melted by the time I woke up. Only a covering on the grass. Even the road down my cul de sac was clear. Best to be safe when you need to be on the road so early I suppose. The drive into work was normal (apart from using up all my screen wash from the spray and salt from the lorries on the M6).

Now at work in Birmingham city centre and no evidence here whatsoever of last night’s excitement.

I see the met office forecast has dried us out for the weekend and into next week now with it actually turning milder by Wednesday. But to be honest, the forecasts do seem to be struggling more this winter. A sign of the volatile weather pattern we’ve been enduring probably. The MO forecast really struggled with the December 28th snowfall for example. So unfortunately, it’s going to be a messy and difficult to forecast few days ahead I reckon.

Edit: Just come down to work my first train of the morning and it’s raining. So as you were...

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted

Working between Birmingham and Rugeley this morning. Heavy wet snow falling at Bloxwich but was rain by the time I got to Walsall. 

Of course, it might just be that I got to the heavy precipitation at Bloxwich and other places saw snow too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Rain this morning ok, that was expected. Still is good to see the weather is unpredictable and can throw out a few surprises yet.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gord said:

Working between Birmingham and Rugeley this morning. Heavy wet snow falling at Bloxwich but was rain by the time I got to Walsall. 

Of course, it might just be that I got to the heavy precipitation at Bloxwich and other places saw snow too.

Probably over 150ft height difference ??

• Like 1