Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted

Well I never expected much down here. 

So, after some very heavy rain, the temp fell and I was surprised to see that within minutes it had turned to ......... colder rain.   

Then it eased off for a bit. 

But now we have even colder* rain  

* but not by much

• Like 1

Posted

Still coming down but less heavy. Would love to get some photos of snow covered trees in the morning but I think quite a bit will have melted by then. Air temperature is cold enough for it to freeze over the ground is still quite warm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Eased off here nice why it lasted and now 8th snowfall of the Winter. Chance also for Sunday.

Posted

Still coming down thick and fast here.  The Pavement Kerb to either side of the driveway at the top has almost vanished.  Prob about 3 inches out there now.  ⛄

Posted
6 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Still coming down but less heavy. Would love to get some photos of snow covered trees in the morning but I think quite a bit will have melted by then. Air temperature is cold enough for it to freeze over the ground is still quite warm.

Scrap that. Heavier again. Big flakes.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Eased off here nice why it lasted and now 8th snowfall of the Winter. Chance also for Sunday.

Maybe Saturday too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Unfortunately there is drip drip everywhere, even though it's still lightly snowing so there will probably be nothing left in the morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Maybe Saturday too.

Just got heavy again here mate. Yh Saturday evretime I look its in a diffrent position. Stoke certainly been in the sweet spot this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it

Belper weather update : I got very excited by a few flakes and walked up to highest ground nearby (220 metres). IKR. Sleet remains that, perhaps very wet snow in bursts. Immediately melts on any surface. It remains a winter of intense frustration locally. I realise weather is incredibly complex but why the warmer air is putting up more of a fight here than it did in the west defies my understanding. Sad, irritated face. 

• Like 1

Posted

Seems to have stopped now, the garden is still white but probably starting to go slushy on the roads by now. Why does it so rarely seem to clear and freeze after a snowfall these days? Apart from 17/18 its hardly happened since Dec 2010

Posted
6 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Just got heavy again here mate. Yh Saturday evretime I look its in a diffrent position. Stoke certainly been in the sweet spot this year.

Sure has. Stoke is great in these marginal conditions.

Is it greedy that I’m watching snow showers coming in from the north west while this front is still hammering down snow on me?

• Like 2

Posted

And now it's stopped. December - several miles too east.. Early Jan - several miles too south. Today - several miles too east and south. Boo hok

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Quite a lot of snow earlier unexpected I must say it was good to see going by the model outputs don’t know when we going to see falling snow again this winter even the BBC monthly outlook isn’t that great

Posted

It's got to be relatively unusual right? A cold front coming in from the west with the west always remaining in much colder air than the east? Odd set up for UK that right? 

Posted

Had to have one last walk tonight. 

A good few cm of snow on the ground and still snow falling with more heading in from the west. Very slushy on some of the roads and pavements due to the high temperatures shortly before the snow came down.

21B1B94F-0DC2-40D7-BEAE-EC2DF2D6E461.jpeg

5083131A-DCD1-4AE5-BCD8-C574F62468B3.jpeg

EF9B6A24-0877-4840-A2C5-E72F0CFAD10B.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

Oh it’s been a good winter here but I think its been another very poor one for most low lying areas of the country.

Not only other parts of the country but even here In the Midlands most parts haven’t done well at all yes Snow did fall but other parts have done much much better than other parts. So it is understandable people are frustrated.

Posted
2 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

Not only other parts of the country but even here In the Midlands most parts haven’t done well at all yes Snow did fall but other parts have done much much better than other parts. So it is understandable people are frustrated.

I know. I was sympathising. I know how frustrating it is having grown up in London.

Lots of showers coming through the Cheshire Gap across Shropshire and North Staffordshire.

• Like 1