Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted
6 minutes ago, Monkeypants said:

visible flakes now here in ST3

Still mostly sleet, although dew points heading in right direction. Looking better now

Posted

It was Kasim in the model thread who said it was nailed on. Nothing is ever nailed on in weather prediction.

The SSW resulted in a displacement, which is always less likely to deliver significant cold to the U.K. than a split.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

small flakes in Carlton, Notts with a 0.5cm covering. If this keeps up I could get a 1-2cm, which would be the best Jan snowfall in years

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snow. https://www.tamworthweather.co.uk

Temp starting to drop slowly here in Tamworth, was 4c an hour ago and now 3.3c.

Seems snowline should be reaching Leicestershire soon. Not sure what will happen this afternoon here, think it will be a wintry mix at most.

Posted

We have Sleet, I repeat, We have Sleet! roughly 10% flakes and 90% drizzle   EDIT: it is now about 50% drizzle 50% flakes

Even though the temps are still around 1.5C (dp 1C) they were at 2.7C around an hour ago so falling quite fast. I have all my fingers Crossed!

Also one of my mum's friends sent a pic from her home in Yorkshire, It's looking like we did up here a few weeks back, good 2 - 3 inches of snow already there.

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

The radars showing signs of building from the west again 

Good news 

too many call it off before it’s started !

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

We have Sleet, I repeat, We have Sleet! 

Even though the temps are still around 1.5C (dp 1C) they were at 2.7C around an hour ago so falling quite fast. I have all my fingers Crossed!

Also one of my mum's friends sent a pic from her home in Yorkshire, It's looking like we did up here a few weeks back, good 2 - 3 inches of snow already there.

All we need now is heavy precipitation, May get a bit heavier before clearing off this evening.

One can hope

Posted

Just as conditions turn more favourable for snow, the precipitation starts to die away from here. Think that’s probably it for today bar the odd bit of sleet. Could be several more hours of rain/sleet/snow further east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
3 minutes ago, nobble said:

Good news 

too many call it off before it’s started !

Happens all the time, If you followed the low pressure system and its movement it was always gonna pivot back around as it begins to slip south. Hoping for some snow here im about 30m out the warning areas but ?‍♂️

Posted

Will the cold reach this far west or will it get to the Shropshire border and decide it prefers somewhere else? And no less importantly, will it produce snow if/when it does?

The cold air seems to have covered more of the country when predicted, considering how Lancashire coast is seemingly in it when that's west of here it ought to affect us.

Posted

I had completely forgot about the event today, just noticed it's snowing now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ice days,and snow,snow,snow...

intensity seems to be waning on the front now, hopefully not a trend..

light snow now here in Notts after an hour or so of moderate snow..

20210114_123106.jpg

20210114_123033.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, ISAAC said:

All we need now is heavy precipitation, May get a bit heavier before clearing off this evening.

One can hope

Getting little snowy 'bursts' now in amongst the snizzle (it'll completely stop for about 10/20 secs then the little bust comes down), and the snizzle itself is becoming, slowly, more and more snowy. ❄

Also Temps still sinking faster than me in a swimming pool!  

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
23 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

It was Kasim in the model thread who said it was nailed on. Nothing is ever nailed on in weather prediction.

The SSW resulted in a displacement, which is always less likely to deliver significant cold to the U.K. than a split.

That was within the last week or so though, most are talking about SSW gate, which has been happening/discussed/nailed to actually happen for about a month. 

Regarding the second point, I totally agree. This started going 'wrong' before an SSW even happened IMO. We moved from a split and ended up with a moderate displacement event, something that's 'barely' shaking things up at all. I still fear a lot have high expectations that we are going to wake up to model flip over night soon and the BFTE will just appear.

The chances of that have gone. 

It's not all doom and gloom, but my advice is to enjoy any falling snow in the next week. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Being squeezed from East & West, also slowly weakening, holes are been punched in it, so if any does creep further west, then expecting light rain here as the temp is just too high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

In this part of Northants (Scaldwell) heavy overnight rainand through the morning is leading to country roads flooded from run-off from fields and full ditches. Temp 3.4c and falling slowly 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
5 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Being squeezed from East & West, also slowly weakening, holes are been punched in it, so if any does creep further west, then expecting light rain here as the temp is just too high.

I have to say I'm honestly very surprised to people further west than me taking notice of this front.

It's been clear for most of the week that even with tiny shifts westwards this would be a drizzly damp sort of event for virtually anywhere away from Derbyshire and Leicester. Even that is likely to be a damp sort of slushy mess with hills being covered.

This is one of my main frustrations so far this winter, even with all these favourable drivers and it being 'cooler' than usual - we haven't managed to time everything nicely for one slider low to deliver a widespread event that would keep the greater population much happier. 

Saturday looks the same, but is even further east and snow to rain - the worst kind of event. 

Turning into a disappointing wet month.