Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted

Hi everybody, this is my first post and I'm loving learning new things on here. Just checked and both Met O and BBC have downgraded Walsall to sleet, fingers crossed they have it wrong. Does anyone think they might be right or do you think lamppost watching is needed!! 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, MKN said:

12z GFS and 12z GFS para are both pretty poor to say the least

Dammit you just knew this was gona happen!!!!they really are pointless models if it cant even get something right at only 24 hours out!!!!or even close to right!!!para looked fantastic for the whole of the midlands just 1 run ago!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, MKN said:

12z GFS and 12z GFS para are both pretty poor to say the least

GFS looks good but moved west, mainly Wales/Shrops event

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Pointless model watching, just look to the sky. Unless its mild they can't deal with anything!

Posted

Just be aware, it may be below freezing now, but temperatures and dew points can rise quickly as systems spill over. And there doesn't need to be much of a rise to put us in marginal territory.

Not wishing to put a downer on things, but I've seen it where we're several degrees below freezing before the cloud and precipitation arrive, only for it to rise suddenly and give us cold rain. On the plus side, there's evidence of only a small rise to our north west...but for some areas, that might be enough. There have been a few reports of sleet and rain in the northwest thread...but thankfully, not too many. We'll have to wait and see what the later, heavier band gets up to with temperatures/dew points.

I'm sure some on here will see snow...but it is something to be a little mindful of.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
31 minutes ago, Loopyloz said:

Hi everybody, this is my first post and I'm loving learning new things on here. Just checked and both Met O and BBC have downgraded Walsall to sleet, fingers crossed they have it wrong. Does anyone think they might be right or do you think lamppost watching is needed!! 

Hi and welcome, i think it will be wrong as temperatures are around or below freezing and dew points are well below freezing too, so if its just sleet i will be very surprised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

NMM does not show alot but its still the best for the midlands...

nmm_uk1-1-19-0.thumb.png.093216fa6131fc5f1d939aef5fee39f4.png

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

My friends are reporting falling and settling snow in other parts of Stoke. Not reached me yet.

yeah just started in Mow Cop, it should be with you shortly.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

NNM looks decent aswell    

image.thumb.png.9c29222f48cdcab4720a8b52fda02320.png

hmm hate to disagree with you but not convinced by that at all. The forecast looks super marginal now, but i guess time will tell. Looks like the old cursed wintry mix we all loathe unfortunately.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Think some are starting to get those last minute worries, but i don't see anything to worry about, as temps are heading down again, the ground is already frozen and frosty is many parts, reports of snow falling and settling on NW parts of the region and Dew Points are well below freezing except for NW parts where they are around 1c but snow still falling and settling there as already mentioned, so no need to worry.

dp.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters

Light to moderate snow now falling in Loggerheads, covering readily on all surfaces

Posted
1 minute ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

hmm hate to disagree with you but not convinced by that at all. The forecast looks super marginal now, but i guess time will tell. Looks like the old cursed wintry mix we all loathe unfortunately.

I suppose its what you class as decent    probably around 5cm in places   if we are lucky 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

The higher up you are, the better of course. The 0C isotherm looks to be around 100-200m tonight and dew points will be around the same so that will give you a rough idea. 

Edited by Eskimo

Posted
7 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I suppose its what you class as decent    probably around 5cm in places   if we are lucky 

id love you to be right, but i just think it'll be one of those based upon the models/reports that are coming in