Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
1 hour ago, cyclonic happiness said:

god himself couldn't blanket this area in snow 

You are very unlucky CH. 

I am only a few miles north around Chapel end and got my first covering. 

IMG-20210102-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.6d7605445ac25b4dcf7eccd885e916a3.jpeg

I am sure it won't be long before we see some more. 

Chin up! 

Posted
45 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

Drillo

I guess it’s all relative, compared to round here you probably only get about 30-40% of the numbers in south shropshire. Clee hill is my go to; could easily on a peak summers day go up and see less than ten people up the hills (maybe titterstone the busiest spot) but it’s rarely too bad. Failing that cardington isn’t too busy to do caer caradoc and on the west side of cardingmill you’ll not see too many others (pulverbatch) but aside from the national trust car park at cardingmill or church stretton; it’s sufficiently open enough to not get too busy if you avoid the prime walking routes 

Clee Hills area is a lot closer to Stourbridge than it is to me. It's a nice walk though its a long time since I've been up either Clee; Wenlock Edge has some nice walks too round there.

Pulverbatch is quite a way from Worcestershire! But yes going up the Long Mynd from that side is usually much quieter than from the Stretton direction. Bridges, Medlicott, Wentnor all good starting points. Similarly going up the Stiperstones from Snailbeach/Blakemoor rather than the car park by the nature reserve. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

We just had sleet which has helped thin out the cover already

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, biting winds, frigid temperatures and thunderstorms

Rain here now washing all that beautiful snow away! Here’s hoping for some snowy surprises over the next few days??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Finally some PPN reaches us in Northampton, and... RAIN. Wow The weather gods have got it in for us here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Woww just seen the gfs 18z and it would bury the Midlands. But for balance ECM earlier wasn't as good. But I will be praying for the GFS to be right tonight just wowww

• Like 3

Posted

Tbf for the first time in years North Staffs (Talke / Kidsgrove) on the Cheshire Border has done OK this week. Yeah a far cry from the 80s and early 90s, but beggars can't be chosey lol. 

Amazing though how no matter how much we get, Crewe always seems to miss out on the heavy stuff..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

all the snow that fell and covered the ground now starting to disappear pretty rapidly what a disappointing know even the last three have been this week.

Posted

Wow. The GFS raw output is nuts! Way, way colder than the BBC and Met Office forecasts even from day 1!

5F12A85D-5AC9-4DB6-B9CE-2449F7B0072D.jpeg

955DFF61-68BE-49FE-842B-2FE42C026574.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi Guys...

Snow (a couple of inches last night) has been melting. with a temp of 1.5C now.

However the rain showers are turning wintry again (sleet falling now), and it looks as if we may have another top up in a couple of hours...

With the 850's forecast to fall again later, it may well be another interesting day.

Off back to bed now!

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

For those upset about melting snow, spare a thought for the Oxon Warks border!  Despite elevation up to 200m barely the thinnest of dustings whilst ten miles up the road they’re having snowball fights!

Oh well, winter’s barely started.  More to follow!  Keep them piccies coming in.  

Posted

No snow melt here so far today, but it’s forecast to be a degree higher than recent days so expecting more of a thaw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

cannot believe forecast on models, what the hell! UKMO and EC milder with a whimper from Friday 8th, GFS maybe few days later

EC and UKMO won't be wrong, not really FI either

• Thanks 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

cannot believe forecast on models, what the hell! UKMO and EC milder with a whimper from Friday 8th, GFS maybe few days later

EC and UKMO won't be wrong, not really FI either

It kinda had a sense of inevitability to it really. So very difficult to get prolonged cold in the UK locked in for days never mind a week plus! I'm kindly just happy with what we've had, some great walks and some top up snowfall at times. I'm sure we will get a chance again and as has been said, the upper atmospheric situation is causing the models some grief, so lets just see where we're at in a few days time. I personally don't expect much this week; i think the snow may very well be all but gone in the next 24 hours, but im weirdly in a way content with what we've had. I am cautiously optimistic the other end of this month may give us another bite of the cherry, but i think we might have a bit of a damp squib inbetween, the fact the polar vortex is not as angry as it was nor the atlantic train of low pressure systems, always gives the chance for another high to develop over iceland or scandi.

Posted

I appreciate my post is very IMBY, as i know a vast swathe of the country hasnt seen a flake yet, and i've been all to used to that in years gone by. Looked the ideal setup and has bypassed the rea.

Posted

Apparently it’s normal to have a brief spell of more westerly/Atlantic dominated conditions immediately after a SSW, and then in a few weeks we should see a more blocked pattern develop. Just a question of which side of the blocking we end up on.

• Like 1

Posted

The trolling and over-reaction by some over on the model thread is ridiculous. Some clearly on a wind up and others just reacting and throwing toys out of the pram. It's the calm, subjective one's over there that I tend to pay attention to. 

Anyway, wait for the 12z first and we'll see where we are then. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Jason74 said:

The trolling and over-reaction by some over on the model thread is ridiculous. Some clearly on a wind up and others just reacting and throwing toys out of the pram. It's the calm, subjective one's over there that I tend to pay attention to. 

Anyway, wait for the 12z first and we'll see where we are then. 

Not really an over reaction, EC and UKMO show it getting milder next Fri, with boring high pressure and very quick thaw, only GFS keeps it cold, everyone knows GFS won't be right over those big 2, not really FI either

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Not really an over reaction, EC and UKMO show it getting milder next Fri, with boring high pressure and very quick thaw, only GFS keeps it cold, everyone knows GFS won't be right over those big 2, not really FI either

It is bedwetting when some over there are already writing off the rest of the winter. Pathetic. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
46 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Gfs sticking to its guns on latest run. But I believe you will be right anyway if UKMO and ECM are right wich looks likely it will be short lived hopefully. Even more important to get out and enjoy the weather we have now. 6 days of lying snow is not to shabby and still at least 5 days of cold left.