Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Reached 9.5°C, pretty dull morning but brighter with sunny spells in the afternoon 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
33 minutes ago, Malcolm Edwards said:

I noticed most of cornwall miss out on the snow. Is there a chance it could be corrected? 

If I lived in Cornwall I'd be relocating to somewhere like Dartmoor to see it

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

It's got me thinking this up coming cold spell!! Is this the first time in modern history, (and by that I mean computer modeling of weather) there a chance of frontal systems moving in to cold air? Because if it is, I would imagine they won't be handling it well.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

If I lived in Cornwall I'd be relocating to somewhere like Dartmoor to see it

Yeah high ground in the south west could see a lot of snow when the atlantic tries to push the colder air out the way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Really looking forward to this cold spell. Some areas could see lots of snow, some hardly any but I think we'll all see some. All kicking off from Saturday night with snow showers or longer spells of snow coming in from the east then later in the week a strong chance of battleground snow as fronts try to push into the cold air from the south west. I think the cold air will be very hard to shift so these events could be good. 

All in all an exciting and maybe memorable spell of weather coming up. 

Edited by John88B
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

snowdepth_20210204_00_222.thumb.jpg.266534eef83bd01d5281f92362f1eb4c.jpg

ECM 00z snow depths out to Friday, exceptional snow event for the southern half of England.

Looking at that chart there are no rain amounts for us and Cornwall.

• Like 1

Posted

ECMWF snow prediction between now and a week on Sat.... I sooo want this to include Cornwall and the South Coast & IOW (obv what happens in reality will be completely different - but definitely the chance of an historic cold spell now... maybe 55:45 odds-on).  Given the year we've all had - we all deserve some of the white-stuff (for those of us who like it of course!).... 

image.thumb.png.3edbc07e19222e621a632620d5c18cc8.png

Edited by Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

ECMWF snow prediction between now and a week on Sat.... I sooo want this to include Cornwall and the South Coast & IOW (obv what happens in reality will be completely different - but definitely the chance of an historic cold spell now... maybe 55:45 odds-on).  Given the year we've all had - we all deserve some of the white-stuff (for those of us who like it of course!).... 

image.thumb.png.3edbc07e19222e621a632620d5c18cc8.png

I'm sure Cornwall will be included. I wouldn't take these charts literally as they change so much.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, radiohead said:

0Z ECM is the snowiest ECM run I have ever seen. Extraordinary totals being shown, which would certainly be even higher locally than shown here. And virutally everyone gets some snow. It really doesn't get much better than this.

spacer.png

Oh come on please share your snow with Cornwall 

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, AWD said:

I didn't mean to be quoting AWD's post again, but can't delete it from this post...sorry AWD!

When I woke up on the sofa at about 4am, the MetO forecast for WINTERBOURNE, which includes COALPIT HEATH , showed snow symbols all day for Sunday with a 50% chance of snow, but now it doesn't...just overcast. It is horribly border line and I know that it WILL chop and change, but it frazzles my nerves!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

No problem @noggin

Perhaps I'm being Mr Grumpy this morning but I really would urge caution on expectations, at least for a few days yet, regarding next week.

a) snow accumulations charts (especially those weatherus ones) are notoriously bad at predicting accurate snowfall accumulations at just a day or two out, let alone 5/6/7 days away.

b) it's my experience and thought that as time ticks down, Atlantic systems become every more elongated, and a system that was initially modelled as making it as far as Leeds, doesn't get beyond Plymouth in reality.

c) snowfall for our area is still in FI land at the moment (ie Tuesday and beyond).  We still have a few more days of milder weather to get through and when the colder air does arrive (throughout Sunday in the most), it's initially looking dry and cold for our region, although obviously a few showers/flurries can't be ruled out anywhere.  The significant falls of snow the models show begin mid next week, a long time away yet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as interested as the next person in the upcoming colder spell of weather, and there certainly is the risk of a decent snowfall event for anyone of us as next week progresses, just trying to express that there is a lot of time to go yet to that stage.  There is some very interesting model output out there for our region currently (as there is for most of the UK), let's hope for once luck sides with us and we (our kids) etc get to experience a rare blizzard in the SW.

Edited by AWD
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
10 minutes ago, AWD said:

No problem @noggin

Perhaps I'm being Mr Grumpy this morning but I really would urge caution on expectations, at least for a few days yet, regarding next week.

a) snow accumulations charts (especially those weatherus ones) are notoriously bad at predicting accurate snowfall accumulations at just a day or two out, let alone 5/6/7 days away.

b) it's my experience and thought that as time ticks down, Atlantic systems become every more elongated, and a system that was initially modelled as making it as far as Leeds, doesn't get beyond Plymouth in reality.

c) snowfall for our area is still in FI land at the moment (ie Tuesday and beyond).  We still have a few more days of milder weather to get through and when the colder air does arrive (throughout Sunday in the most), it's initially looking dry and cold for our region, although obviously a few showers/flurries can't be ruled out anywhere.  The significant falls of snow the models show begin mid next week, a long time away yet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as interested as the next person in the upcoming colder spell of weather, and there certainly is the risk of a decent snowfall event for anyone of us as next week progresses, just trying to express that there is a lot of time to go yet to that stage.  There is some very interesting model output out there for our region currently (as there is for most of the UK), let's hope for once luck sides with us and we (our kids) etc get to experience a rare blizzard in the SW.

Best post of the day that I’ve seen including the models thread.

i’ve been trying to put that message across over there as well about urgent question I feel sick deep cold spells model before to break down literally 24 hours or within of the event

i’ve seen cold spells that was supposedly nailed right on I need to be let down at the last moment

so I can agree with you more we have to be cautious until we get literally 24 to 48 hours out but even then like I said back and change too.

you’re not being Mr grumpy you’re being realistic and not getting your hopes up too high it’s quite often our hopes get dashed here in the Southwest

Posted
42 minutes ago, mountsbaysnow said:

Oh come on please share your snow with Cornwall 

Yeah we are sticking out on all snow depth charts with a big fat zero . Wouldn’t take many miles west to completely cover us tho . Fingers crossed 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

could always hope for south corrections, get some good Lows moving through the Channel, like the good 'ol days, and keep southern England, in the cold easterlies, but then, that may make people mad up north, as it misses them

• Like 3

Posted

Well let’s hope it all goes downhill ( in a good way )  as Francis mentions in this clip 

getpubthumb?code=XZ3zkhXZY8AkXhJEphhcmLK
U.PCLOUD.LINK

Store videos in pCloud. Share them with just the right people. Access them on any device. Create a free account now!

• Like 1

Posted

And hope it doesn’t end up this way

absolute classic clip has me in stitches every time I Watch it

getpubthumb?code=XZSRkhXZq5yjvYMjk4YNAAR
U.PCLOUD.LINK

Store videos in pCloud. Share them with just the right people. Access them on any device. Create a free account now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

It’s right to be cautious.. but when do we ever see charts like this?? Let’s enjoy it, soon winter will be over and we will mostly be moving on to other things. Sometimes it’s the thrill of the chase that’s good and it’s keeping us (certainly me) going through this horrible lockdown.. so let’s sit back and enjoy it and not write it off until we have to? ??

• Like 2

Posted

Just love these, shows the snow dome positioned nicely on Sunday...

image.png.b6a0cbf1a11bc54a3865e28bb8aed44d.png

And later in the day

image.png.1a79789373ea7426dad3e5e7bbc1d0dc.png

And again later in the day

image.png.b45e8cd1c74468dd8214db63ae704c2c.png

But I wont go there, time will tell...

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I'm sure Cornwall will be included. I wouldn't take these charts literally as they change so much.

Completely get that they change so much - but they give an indication as to what could happen.  Exciting if nothing else.  

Anyone on here from the Isles of Scilly... do they ever get any snow - as I'd think they must have a small chance with an easterly over a warm sea....?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!
20 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Just love these, shows the snow dome positioned nicely on Sunday...

image.png.b6a0cbf1a11bc54a3865e28bb8aed44d.png

And later in the day

image.png.1a79789373ea7426dad3e5e7bbc1d0dc.png

And again later in the day

image.png.b45e8cd1c74468dd8214db63ae704c2c.png

But I wont go there, time will tell...

Gorgeous!

• Like 2

Posted

Morning All, a damp overcast start with drizzle/light rain after an overnight low of 3.3°C at: 03:33.. currently 7.9°C as the light breeze has turned more in to the S /SSE bringing an onshore breeze which given the current sea temperature is 8.3°C the local temperature almost replicates that of the surrounding water...

• Like 1