Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Blimey just drove a mile now down to this! How accurate I don't know. 

IMG_20210125_072532.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, looking at hubby's car that he'd cleared all the snow off, we have had a sprinkling of snow overnight (he will be happy ). Very crisp out there and I really must get myself another thermometer so I can be more specific than my range of cold, f....ing cold and baltic. On that scale, I'd say it's mid way between cold and f.....ing cold this morning.

Yesterday was lovely but didn't even get to the appetiser stage of the feast we'd all like, but February will soon be here and around these parts, we never get anything worthwhile until at least late January and into February. I'm keeping everything crossed we'll get something like this before winter is done with us all. 

This taken from Wells & Mendip Museum:

Priddy snowfall in 1939. The village was completely cut off for three days. Snow fell continuously for 48 hours and many houses were practically hidden in the drifts.

One or two village stalwarts got through to Wells on foot and carried back sacks of bread and other necessities, but they were up to their waists in snow in many places and many farmers worked for hours to dig sheep out of the snow.

Photos: Wells and Mendip Museum Collection

priddy 1939.jpg

priddy 1939  2.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

A dusting from the returning band last night, a very pretty and cold morning. Beautiful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Still nothing from this Winter, snow has been so close, but I must be in a microclimate as getting snow to settle has been impossible. Nice to see it falling from the sky, but still waiting for everything to turn white.

Kinda think it's not going to happen for me this Winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Few Clouds. Sunny but  cold, 2.0c. Humidity 81%, 1012hPa. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, SteveB said:

Still nothing from this Winter, snow has been so close, but I must be in a microclimate as getting snow to settle has been impossible. Nice to see it falling from the sky, but still waiting for everything to turn white.

Kinda think it's not going to happen for me this Winter. 

Settling and lying snow in places like Weston are a marker of a good winter. As nice as the dusting yesterday here was, it's nothing out of the ordinary so the search goes on. Let's hope for a classic channel low or 2/3/4/5 come February WITH cold air in place. Recent model runs have come so close to showing these scenarios but knowing us, we'll steal defeat from the jaws of victory.

Meanwhile - a beautiful winters day. This is the kind of day I'd happily have on repeat until something more interesting turns up. A minimum of -3.5C last night to boot.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

A beautiful crisp day,currently 6.1°c after an overnight low of -3.2°c....... 66% rh.......might have to pop into the mad thread.....need my next fix of snow.....hopefully will be better than the pathetic dusting yesterday....onwards and upwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sunny all day so far. Better than yesterday as all I got here was rain, in fact it was so pathetic I didn’t even see a single flake. 6.6°C

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Snow still remaining the shade but almost all gone now. Let's hope for another one before the end of this winter that everyone down to the coasts can enjoy too ☃️

Got to -3 last night and reached 5.4c today and was very sunny. ☀️❄️

Edited by Leon1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Settling and lying snow in places like Weston are a marker of a good winter. As nice as the dusting yesterday here was, it's nothing out of the ordinary so the search goes on. Let's hope for a classic channel low or 2/3/4/5 come February WITH cold air in place. Recent model runs have come so close to showing these scenarios but knowing us, we'll steal defeat from the jaws of victory.

Meanwhile - a beautiful winters day. This is the kind of day I'd happily have on repeat until something more interesting turns up. A minimum of -3.5C last night to boot.

The issue with the event over the weekend for here was the precipitation just wasn't heavy enough & didn't last for long, all the heavy stuff was just to the north & south. The band of snow, or at least the part of it that hit here thinned out markedly as it approached the Bristol channel, you could clearly see that was happening when checking the radar. Whether that was just bad luck or what I dunno but the side roads were turning white & there was some on the ground in the garden. Would have been a much better event for here if the snow was heavier & fell for longer, simple as that really. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Had an afternoon walk up on Uley Barrow. Took a few snaps, It was a nice combination of the melt at lower levels vs the hills. The sun was going down and it was a gorgeous atmosphere out there.

IMG_4807.thumb.jpeg.22b4fb173deeff9f32dd72424d37c23c.jpegIMG_4804.thumb.jpeg.537d77443f3d71985fcca08fc5e3c219.jpegIMG_4799.thumb.jpeg.84b90a4d6c1b74268ba7b7dcc7c148f9.jpegIMG_4803.thumb.jpeg.6f10e3b6a2a7ed56c2f65c78e38316dc.jpegIMG_4813.thumb.jpeg.941c90fd1446b7223314a39db388ea26.jpegIMG_4812.thumb.jpeg.1532482a693c48410fba80de38e78705.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold, & sunny & warm

Hi everyone,

Long time lurked who has watched with interest over the years and now feel it's time to post. We have lived in a snowy part of West Yorkshire above holmfirth and between the peak district and the southern pennines for 25 years and saw some great snow events. Now living in shaftesbury and a lovely spot it is and it's high enough for snow! Buying a weather station as well as fed up sticking my finger in the water bucket to see if it's frozen!

Great site and once learnt how to upload photos will do. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Smartie said:

The issue with the event over the weekend for here was the precipitation just wasn't heavy enough & didn't last for long, all the heavy stuff was just to the north & south. The band of snow, or at least the part of it that hit here thinned out markedly as it approached the Bristol channel, you could clearly see that was happening when checking the radar. Whether that was just bad luck or what I dunno but the side roads were turning white & there was some on the ground in the garden. Would have been a much better event for here if the snow was heavier & fell for longer, simple as that really. 

You can bet that wouldn't have happened if it were rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

You can bet that wouldn't have happened if it were rain.

Probably not, I swear any heavy rain always makes a beeline for my house lol

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, robhoad said:

Hi everyone,

Long time lurked who has watched with interest over the years and now feel it's time to post. We have lived in a snowy part of West Yorkshire above holmfirth and between the peak district and the southern pennines for 25 years and saw some great snow events. Now living in shaftesbury and a lovely spot it is and it's high enough for snow! Buying a weather station as well as fed up sticking my finger in the water bucket to see if it's frozen!

Welcome aboard.

Hard to beat the view from the terrace at The Mitre, with a pint. When it's open, of course. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

Interesting that Ian f on bbc just highlighted Saturday as one they were watching carefully. Here’s hoping...

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, warmintim said:

Interesting that Ian f on bbc just highlighted Saturday as one they were watching carefully. Here’s hoping...

Rain Rain Rain thats all we get

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 hour ago, robhoad said:

Hi everyone,

What device are you on? Because a phone should come up with all files at the bottom of the post and then files and then images for an image and the one you used. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold, & sunny & warm
2 minutes ago, Hurricane Squad said:

What device are you on? Because a phone should come up with all files at the bottom of the post and then files and then images for an image and the one you used. 

A fire hd tablet and I see what you mean now!

Must be my age and bad eyes

• Thanks 1