Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Proper winters day today.  Fog and frost all day, and temp never above freezing.  Would be happy with this for a week or more..... if only!

Currently-1.6c

• Like 2

Posted

Cloud cleared around midnight, a min of -4.1C with some freezing fog until about 10:30am, then mostly sunny with a max of 3.8C. Patchy frost stayed in the shade all day.

Already -1.6C.. Kind of a shame it will cloud over, always seems hard to stay clear on the would-be coldest nights.

Looks cloudy tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night all for a system that will probably give very little precipitation here.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
1 minute ago, ptow said:

Strange one today in Farnborough. Temp apparently got to 0 having been negative since 4pm last night but a walk around and no ice at all. Not a single remnant of ice in any puddle. Does anyone know why this is? I seem to remember ice on the ground at 3c before. Ground temps?

I’ve no idea if this applies to ice on the ground, but snow can slowly disappear  when it’s freezing or below because of sublimation - which is when a solid goes to a gas without becoming a liquid first (it doesn’t ‘melt’ as such). Not sure what causes it (I would imagine very dry air, or wind, but we’ve certainly not had that here today - foggy all day...). Someone far more knowledgeable than me will hopefully chime in. And maybe say I’m completely wrong! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Proper winters day today.  Fog and frost all day, and temp never above freezing.  Would be happy with this for a week or more..... if only!

Currently-1.6c

Yes if only the last few days had been like today, it would've been a notable few days. Let's just hope we can get something out of tomorrow snow-wise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Highest temperature so far today -0.8c here in Pucklechurch.

• Like 1

Posted

Just watching the BBC forcast and it had the temp as 5c at 7PM, its going to need to be a rapid warm up,  as it's currently -1.9c.

It then showed little or no snow for here tomorrow. In fact it showed more in the way of a sleety mix.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I'm just keeping my eye on that showery band of sleet and snow coming over from Wales. I thought the Brecons might swallow up what was destined for the Bristol area but it appears to be making it over them and maybe even intensifying a touch. 

Edited by John88B
  • Like 3

Posted

Quite a drop in last few hours, from 1c at 4pm to -0.6c now

Just seen the gritters going a few times up and down our road.
A rare occurrence here.
Maybe they know something.

Posted
4 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Not you with the corona too! ARGH! How did you get it? What symptoms you got? Hope your ok!

Thanks Beka, I’ve been better that’s for sure. Still dragging on 9 days in. Freezing cold, no appetite, nausea and totally lethargic all day long. Thank goodness for Paracetamol at least

We had an outbreak at work just before Christmas  (despite our stringent precautions )by the time we hit 4 cases I decided to shut the company down early for Xmas. In the intervening few days we’d hit 13 known cases, 20% of the workforce. Scattered around seemingly indiscriminately, no real clusters. Horrible. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
56 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Just watching the BBC forcast and it had the temp as 5c at 7PM, its going to need to be a rapid warm up,  as it's currently -1.9c.

It then showed little or no snow for here tomorrow. In fact it showed more in the way of a sleety mix.

Latest 15z UKV shows similar, very little PPN over the West Country tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
1 minute ago, AWD said:

Latest 15z UKV shows similar, very little PPN over the West Country tomorrow.

Yeah appears so, although UKV today has been constantly underestimating the precipitation that has been around today, so fingers crossed! Unfortunately things appear to be trending the wrong way recently.

• Like 1

Posted

Just our luck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
3 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Max of 0.4c, dropping again now, bugger it! Ice days are so rare!

I have seen ice crystals from freezing fog twice in my life, they are remarkable.

Hi Andy yes they are incredible I once saw an amazing phenomena down near old Ford opposite the Indian Jays kitchen

at the time it was called Bayleaf

I was on a school run and stopped to show my son he was about six at the time incredible phenomena

where the river was was a missed fog but not super sick also the Sun was rising and it created a round rainbow with son dogs as well was absolutely incredible so stopped to show my boy which made us late for school but I said him don't worry I'll speak to your teacher

so when I got to school I told his teacher why we were late and she said good for you for stopping make sure he brings the photos in for a show and tell so that was a great response from her

recently I was trying to find the photos I'm no I've got them somewhere I just have to have a good long look 

if I can find them I'll post one here as that was due to ice crystals and like you say they are incredible

you can have a completely blue sky and yet see fine snow ice crystals falling which just powders the ground

was really wait a moment ago the fog briefly lifted I went out to get some fish and chips for the family when I came back the fog had completely re-formed so quick

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, SilverWolf said:

I’ve no idea if this applies to ice on the ground, but snow can slowly disappear  when it’s freezing or below because of sublimation - which is when a solid goes to a gas without becoming a liquid first (it doesn’t ‘melt’ as such). Not sure what causes it (I would imagine very dry air, or wind, but we’ve certainly not had that here today - foggy all day...). Someone far more knowledgeable than me will hopefully chime in. And maybe say I’m completely wrong! 

Thanks. That might be it. Maybe someone else will know 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Hard plummet in temperature, maxed out at 1.9c, now -2.0c. Although frost & ice lingered all day. Re-forming again quickly, perfect January weather.

Posted
2 hours ago, ptow said:

Strange one today in Farnborough. Temp apparently got to 0 having been negative since 4pm last night but a walk around and no ice at all. Not a single remnant of ice in any puddle. Does anyone know why this is? I seem to remember ice on the ground at 3c before. Ground temps?

Somebody posted something about radiation the other day.

As for tomorrow, seems we may get unlucky with precipitation turning up at the ‘warmest’ time of day again.

Could lead to a very icy night into Saturday though.

• Like 2

Posted

Hmm unless I’m missing something I can’t see more than a few flakes falling anywhere round here tonight... shame the temperature is perfect as is the ground... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Evening all,quite a raw feeling day today......barely got above freezing,now -1.0C and seems ripe for any decent precipitation to be just snow......typical that it looks like we're going to pretty much miss out......be great for a nice surprise snowfall......hopefully the ssw will give us all a decent snow fix ☃️❄❄

Posted

Ok, some very light snow falling now, the fog has lifted. Cloud looks very thin though... 

• Like 3

Posted

Fog has finally lifted grass is still white with frost. Lamp post has been checked checked and double checked again and there is nothing falling from the sky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Thick fog here now. -2.6°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Still -1.4C here. Supposedly under precipitation but nothing falling yet.