Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted

Absolutely hilarious. I had to pop to Westbury and it was freezing fog with rimey trees etc all the way there and back.

Got within 500 yards of home and it cleared to bright sunshine, as a result the temperature has risen to 0.0c right now.

Technically an ice day should it rise no further, a few patches of Altocumulus might help it stay that way!

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

A beautiful cloudless crisp day. I’m genuinely looking forward to the relative warmup in a few days, having contracted the dreaded lurgy I have changed my priorities somewhat. Hopefully by the time I’m shot of it we will be looking a another blocky set up and more hope of some white stuff further south this time.

Not you with the corona too! ARGH! How did you get it? What symptoms you got? Hope your ok!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Temperature dropped from 2.2c to 1.8c. Humidity 90% Rh .But it is sunny.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
40 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Absolutely hilarious. I had to pop to Westbury and it was freezing fog with rimey trees etc all the way there and back.

Got within 500 yards of home and it cleared to bright sunshine, as a result the temperature has risen to 0.0c right now.

Technically an ice day should it rise no further, a few patches of Altocumulus might help it stay that way!

That microclimate again. 
thick fog -2 here still ice around.

Went to bath today and was like it had been snowing as it's down lower in a valley so frost fog pocket. 
everything properly coated white over there. I think the canal provided a lot of moisture which froze and came down on small granules. 
very thick fog here . 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Completely overcast all day here, with a waxing and waning of mist. Thick freezing fog has now developed, just in the nick of time. Temp managed to get to -0.2°C but has since dropped back to -0.4°C.

Could be a very rare ice day!

• Like 1

Posted

As others have noted subzero through the day peaking at -0.5°C at: 14:27, now -0.6°C, can that stay tonight I wonder, in the event of any precip, some lows might help...

Posted
21 minutes ago, offerman said:

That microclimate again. 
thick fog -2 here still ice around.

Went to bath today and was like it had been snowing as it's down lower in a valley so frost fog pocket. 
everything properly coated white over there. I think the canal provided a lot of moisture which froze and came down on small granules. 
very thick fog here . 

Max of 0.4c, dropping again now, bugger it! Ice days are so rare!

I have seen ice crystals from freezing fog twice in my life, they are remarkable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Thought the rare ice day was under threat when it went up to -0.2°C just now as the sun came out but it's clouded over now and dropped to -0.4°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Our local rag is on another planet;

WWW.BRISTOLPOST.CO.UK

Met Office forecasts 'outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow' as reports claim the Beast from the East is on its way

I thought The Express was bad!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Well I’m a bit intrigued by the warnings out (be them for ice, as well as snow which could also mean one, or the other!). My crappy hourly forecast on my phone has light snow where I am from middle of tonight all the way though tomorrow. It’s still sub zero. The radar has that narrow band of light/sometimes moderate precip moving this way - it’s very slow! All that considered maybe they’ll be a nice dusting tomorrow morning with some still falling. Or maybe it’ll fizzle out. Or intensify! Hopefully something at least... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Some of the thickest fog out there, that I've seen for a long time!

There should be a warning in place really..

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

Maximum here so far is -0.2°C at 3pm, now it's -0.8 so looking likely to be my first ice day since the Beast from the East. Fairly thin medium to high cloud this afternoon but no thick fog, but I can only see for half a mile on a clear day.. Light wind from the north.

The missing ingredient is of course ... no snow, or even ice apart from a frozen bucket of water in the garden.

Edited by DaveL
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Fog coming back now and already back down to -0.9°C

Posted

Not sure if we’ve managed to remain below zero all day (we did have sun most of the day) but considering the Met forecast a 4C max today, whenever I’ve checked Wunderground the majority have shown 0C or under so seems like forecast overcooked the temps a little!!

Pray this bodes well for into tomorrow ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.

-1.4°C/-1.7°C DP and a lovely cold day, best in a while here. Fog now settling in, just been for a quick walk and the fallow deer in the field looked quite majestic in the fading light and mist. Feels raw out. 

Posted

BS34 - Reached the heady heights of 0c earlier this afternoon. Hoar frost this morn which lasted until early afternoon. Sun tried to break through at midday, but failed miserably. Foggy and misty most of today, as it is now. 

Light snow showers forecast on and off from daylight thru the day tomorrow.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Freezing fog for best part of the day here in Shepton Mallet. Very  sharp frost this morning .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

First ice day since March 2018 here with a maximum of -0.6C and an entire 1 minute of sun... otherwise it’s been foggy all day and is thicker now than this morning.

• Like 2

Posted

Strange one today in Farnborough. Temp apparently got to 0 having been negative since 4pm last night but a walk around and no ice at all. Not a single remnant of ice in any puddle. Does anyone know why this is? I seem to remember ice on the ground at 3c before. Ground temps?