Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Seems to be an increasing risk of a band of snow moving S across the country Friday, holding some intensity and then appears to pivot across CS England. GFS looks the most promising, but ICON & NMM showing a similar feature. UKV beginning to latch on and show a little more widespread showery band too. ECM have now also converged on the same idea.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 4

Posted

Just started to rain very lightly here.
That is the first of any precipitation that my kit has measured since Tuesday 29th December.
It has gone very dark too.
3.7c, NNE wind 2-3mph

Posted

Cold, dull and it's just started raining.

If I'm being charitable, I'd suggest there are flakes in it; but not enough for a Velux check.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Seems to be an increasing risk of a band of snow moving S across the country Friday, holding some intensity and then appears to pivot across CS England. GFS looks the most promising, but ICON & NMM showing a similar feature. UKV beginning to latch on and show a little more widespread showery band too. ECM have now also converged on the same idea.

Bet you it’s marginal south of the m4

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Just mentioned on our local ITV weather bulletin, which is Met Office based.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
5 hours ago, dec10snow said:

I was asleep by then, don’t tell me I missed the 1 shower that actually produced some snow?! I was regularly checking outside to see if there was anything. 

I’m wondering, are you a bit outside the town and therefore higher up?

We are literally right on the southern edge of Taunton, at the southern end of Chestnut Drive, I guess we are slightly higher up but not by much. We are literally the last road of houses before open fields though so maybe we are marginally cooler than in town. Don't worry too much though, it wasn't much to write home about haha. Friday looks like a better chance potentially!

Edited by Somerset Squall
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

iconeu_uk1-1-53-0.thumb.png.01a1d018944b704238e9ea81da08921c.png

As far as HARMONIE goes out right now

harmonieeur40-1-48-0.thumb.png.2d69a5fb45eba8d24d542282448d7ecb.png

Just need this guy to stay in bed on the Welsh mountains and we might get a few hours of snow

BlackSpeedyFirefly-size_restricted.thumb.gif.2f0a5dc3b8e8b988a9454fa6b56c6001.gif

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

We are literally right on the southern edge of Taunton, at the southern end of Chestnut Drive, I guess we are slightly higher up but not by much. We are literally the last road of houses before open fields though so maybe we are marginally cooler than in town. Don't worry too much though, it wasn't much to write home about haha. Friday looks like a better chance potentially!

Oh fair play - still within the town and elevation anywhere across Taunton is generally shocking

Even if it wasn’t much to write home about, like many others I’m bloody desperate and would take anything at this rate!!

Since Christmas I’ve been to Wills Neck (Quantocks) and did actually see some lying snow on the drive up to the top car park which was good, however nothing for the walk. Also been to Dunkery Beacon, had some sleet on the way up but again, nothing aside from areas such as in the picture below which I guess you could stretch to “lying snow”

BF032386-79E6-45FE-B252-8DF2E3029ECD.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
34 minutes ago, dec10snow said:

Oh fair play - still within the town and elevation anywhere across Taunton is generally shocking

Even if it wasn’t much to write home about, like many others I’m bloody desperate and would take anything at this rate!!

Since Christmas I’ve been to Wills Neck (Quantocks) and did actually see some lying snow on the drive up to the top car park which was good, however nothing for the walk. Also been to Dunkery Beacon, had some sleet on the way up but again, nothing aside from areas such as in the picture below which I guess you could stretch to “lying snow”

BF032386-79E6-45FE-B252-8DF2E3029ECD.jpeg

I know the feeling of being desperate, I've been glued to the radar looking for tiny little flurries trying to make it hear from the east. I sincerely hope we get some proper snow before the Winter is out!

That last picture looks very like the "accumulation" we had last night lol

Posted
4 hours ago, iowpompeylee said:

Bet you it’s marginal south of the m4

Too right LOL!! And if not it will melt in 10 minutes so barely worth it!

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*
  • Like 1

Posted

Not alot occurring in here tonight what are peoples thoughts for fri? Anything for some of us none of us or lucky few

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Cloudy for most of the day with the sky clearing after sunset. Reached 4.6°C, currently -0.1°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

After a cold day, the skies cleared following sunset and it's not a frosty night. -1.5C already.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Day 4 of the Easterly - dry save a few spots of rain this morning. Maximum cleared 5C again. Current Minimum -0.5C. Heavier precipitation pushed much further westwards today, but of course only in the usual bands to the north and south of here courtesy of those stupid twiggy trough thingys:

image.thumb.png.1b684f6aa989328fb79c20c773b2c8bb.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning campers, it was a starry, starry night when I went to bed, with a bit of a sparkle on the grass. Woken to one of my favourite types of morning, blinking cold, fog and wonder of wonders, a hoare frost. Literally everything is coated in white sparkles, it looks beautiful.  Hoare frost is even rarer than snow around here and is definitely the next best thing to snow in winter.

• Like 3

Posted

Yes looks very festive this morning doesn't it, after an overnight low of -2.6°C at: 04:16 and currently -1.7°C, with RH95%, this is what we need overnight tonight if we are to seal the fate for tomorrow morning, for anything other than cold rain...Onwards & Upwards, looking chilly out over the channel this morning..even the bins and tables on the beach are covered in white this morning

image.thumb.png.2089eae7f3748c4d81a89231b178cd35.png

• Like 2

Posted

Passed the blinking freezing bubble test...... spider has a frosty home too this morning.

bubble.jpg

cobweb.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

bubbles 2.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Definitely the chance for parts of our region to see some falling snow tomorrow afternoon.  All high Res models indicate something falling, but vary on intensity.  Most show light flurries scattered about though.  I've taken a snapshot of some below;

euro4_uk1-1-39-0.thumb.png.5fdf1072eff94e2b5507c581e66b3d5e.png

harmonieeur40-1-36-3.thumb.png.e4d5afa053435868bd70c354738da77f.png

IMG_20210107_091348.thumb.jpg.f30a024597ce113ddafc1ed12f32eae5.jpg

It's looking like a "cluster of flurries" at the moment, I am not expecting anything of note to settle or accumulate. As ever though, all rather uncertain with both intensity and exact track, so watching the radar tomorrow will be interesting.

• Like 3

Posted
37 minutes ago, AWD said:

Definitely the chance for parts of our region to see some falling snow tomorrow afternoon.  All high Res models indicate something falling, but vary on intensity.  Most show light flurries scattered about though.  I've taken a snapshot of some below;

euro4_uk1-1-39-0.thumb.png.5fdf1072eff94e2b5507c581e66b3d5e.png

harmonieeur40-1-36-3.thumb.png.e4d5afa053435868bd70c354738da77f.png

IMG_20210107_091348.thumb.jpg.f30a024597ce113ddafc1ed12f32eae5.jpg

It's looking like a "cluster of flurries" at the moment, I am not expecting anything of note to settle or accumulate. As ever though, all rather uncertain with both intensity and exact track, so watching the radar tomorrow will be interesting.

Agreed. Tomorrow does look like a nice to see it falling type of day, if we're lucky enough to get snow. Arome has it dodging us beautifully.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Looks like frost again but the side road does have tyre tracks in it like last week so maybe the tiniest dusting once again?  There's so little I can't tell really.