Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
Just now, AWD said:

Not really a downgrade or an upgrade with regards to later in the week.

Modelling still in disagreement with how far NE any frontal system on Thursday/Friday gets.  Global models struggling to get it past Devon, other shorter term modelling like the high Res UKV model and the Netweather model gets it across most of the region, falling as snow away from Cornwall.

Still very much up in the air.  As for now, we are all flurry chasing. 

Ah nice one, cheers for the update.

Yeah for a minute or two I thought we could see more than a flurry this afternoon. Those showers to our east kept beefing up but running through the animation I'm too far North. Maybe they might scrape S Bristol?

3 minutes ago, coxx657 said:

i rekon your bang in line for that streamer ;0)

I'm NE Bristol unfortunately  

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

It’s graupel actually 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
Just now, MidnightSnow said:

Ah nice one, cheers for the update.

Yeah for a minute or two I thought we could see more than a flurry this afternoon. Those showers to our east kept beefing up but running through the animation I'm too far North. Maybe they might scrape S Bristol?

I'm NE Bristol unfortunately  

Worth noting that streamer activity will move very very slowly further north over the next 24 hours, as the upper flow swings from NE to ENE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Same here. I'll take it after the winter we've had so far!

I thought u might have caught a little more as i only caught the very edge of heavier band looked as though portsmouth/gosport were unerneath it before it slid over iow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

That heavier plop of PPN is struggling to get west of Oxford unfortunately.  Much lighter stuff to the west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Good afternoon, light flurries here now. Temp -0.6°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Always Snow.
15 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

I gotta stop looking at the radar. Trying to convince myself I will catch some of that snow but it's gonna go right under me. 

Anyone in here from Swindon? Looks like it will go directly over you.

I’m Swindon and watching closely. Something very light is falling currently. Extremely light at present.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,cold, & sunny & warm

Still -0.9C with gusty wind and now a few flakes of snow in the air.

A pain in my neck from looking right at the pink blob on the radar!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all, there's the odd fluffy white bit floating around in the wind here; biting wind though, making it feel bitterly cold. I have never been more grateful for lockdown and not currently working outside gardening, it's blinking freezing. Working at home hoping for snow, whilst being snug and warm is so much nicer. 

Judgement on whether or not we'll all get lucky snow wise this week? I've consulted the oracle and he says odds are favourable for a bit of snow, but odds on a dumping....long shot.

etsy owl 1.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Sun shining brightly in plymouth today (at work) and still sunny on the moor at home. 

Posted

Heavier stream of snow now pepping up through the Thames valley - Maidenhead/Reading way. Just a bit too far north for me ...but looks to be heading towards Newbury.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Some larger flakes finally turning up here. Small beginnings and all that.

Running the radar sequence, the streamers are showing slight southward propagation.

An interesting new development west and east of Reading in the past hour. I suspect there are more such bands to its north but the radar is too screwed up there to resolve them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!
13 minutes ago, AWD said:

That heavier plop of PPN is struggling to get west of Oxford unfortunately.  Much lighter stuff to the west.

Indeed and the radar can be deceptive as constantly changing where the ppn is. It is snowing again now and finally looks like a blob may furnish me with all of its pathetic snizzle lol

• Like 1

Posted

Little bit more intensity in the Central Southampton area at the moment, still very, very light in the main and thus struggling to settle on anything, but it's a noticeable pick up from what was floating around earlier.

• Like 2

Posted

Winds just picked up quite considerably along the South now. I think that main band will grow to the east of it also. I'm pretty sure it will reach down here just unsure how intense it will be by the time it gets here. Could actually still pick up yet given its only just gone 1pm and sun strength involved.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Isleofwightsnowgal74 said:

Snow grains here haha- I’d rather not bother! Does anyone know if this may get a bit heavier and actually lay a bit?

Beggars can't be choosers

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

The life is being sucked out of the snow clouds moving in from the east by Salisbury Plain, can see it happening before my eyes. 

852B3F72-9FAD-42FD-96CB-88B478B97042.jpeg

Looks quite dark over the back though or is that your camera?

There is also alot more back building behind that too.

Edited by The Moving Planet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
18 minutes ago, jethro said:

Morning all, there's the odd fluffy white bit floating around in the wind here; biting wind though, making it feel bitterly cold. I have never been more grateful for lockdown and not currently working outside gardening, it's blinking freezing. Working at home hoping for snow, whilst being snug and warm is so much nicer. 

Judgement on whether or not we'll all get lucky snow wise this week? I've consulted the oracle and he says odds are favourable for a bit of snow, but odds on a dumping....long shot.

etsy owl 1.jpg

With this weather insides the best place to be upon Mendip, remember my Dad telling me that during the winter of 62/3  we were living in Shipham, and that the local authority took over the firm he was working for.  They had to clear snow by hand ,with little mechanical help ,from Longbottom right through to Charterhouse, he said that as fast as they were clearing it ,it was blowing back in .Apparently ,he developed pneumonia as a result .  Remember two  old Priddy blokes telling me years ago, the seasons on Mendip are 6 weeks in front , 6 weeks behind, and an overcoat colder. Having worked  there  during winter on more than one occasion, I can well believe it.

• Like 2