Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Just went out for a breath of fresh and and some tiny flakes blowing around......can only be seen in the light on the patio lol. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Is the radar picking up something over exmoor?

12D2516C-3C6C-4F05-AEF5-E0C0C2BA3AC8.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Imagine living in Norwich and looking at the radar all day, now that is depressing.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Interesting night... it’s windy, cold, with broken cloud, but there is light snow falling, more than the few grains this morning. It’s not on the radar. Clearly visibly drifting past the street light 

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, khodds said:

Is the radar picking up something over exmoor?

12D2516C-3C6C-4F05-AEF5-E0C0C2BA3AC8.jpeg

Oh yeah. Running through the animation it seems it formed in the Bristol channel

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A few flakes blowing past the street lights on the webcam in Southampton I'm watching.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Snow Of '78 said:

Oh yeah. Running through the animation it seems it formed in the Bristol channel

Things really can pick up out of nowhere.. I know it’s only tiny but it’s nice to see

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Can't see much making its way to west country at moment. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Few tweets from Ian this evening regarding the medium range output later this week;

Seems as though the prolonged colder but drier outlook is gaining some traction now.  As I expected, and feared, Thursday/Fridays snow potential really struggling to make it this far NE in the region (with the caveat that things can and will still change).

Edited by AWD
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
7 minutes ago, AWD said:

Few tweets from Ian this evening regarding the medium range output later this week;

Seems as though the prolonged colder but drier outlook is gaining some traction now.  As I expected, and feared, Thursday/Fridays snow potential really struggling to make it this far NE in the region (with the caveat that things can and will still change).

Don't mind prolonged cold and dry once we have the snow on ground.

Whats more likely is cold block holds all at bay until it then folds like a wet paper napkin and we get rain.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

Have you all seen the 18z it looks a mess and blocking failing. Lol this winter I think I’ll almost be done soon! I just wanted one snow day in the south west 

But all the background signals point to cold prolonged to March possibly.. it’s one run and it probably picking up on something but it won’t happen like it’s shown 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

Have you all seen the 18z it looks a mess and blocking failing. Lol this winter I think I’ll almost be done soon! I just wanted one snow day in the south west 

Yeah, only one run though. Really isn't worth micro analysing each and every run as some people do. Just sit back and see how it unfolds.

General trend is for it to remain on the cold and dry for most of the month. Not exciting at all, but much better than 'mild wet mush' we usually get.

• Like 4

Posted

Just been out to grab the chickens water and can report we have a very very light dusting of snow grains but nothing on radar

Currently 0.4°C DP -2.5°C

Screenshot_20210207-223021_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-223046_Gallery.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, The Moving Planet said:

Some dandruff now over IOW by the looks of things on radar. 

Also over Southampton despite nothing on the radar there. Only know as I can see it on a webcam.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, SouthernSnowFan said:

Yeah, only one run though. Really isn't worth micro analysing each and every run as some people do. Just sit back and see how it unfolds.

General trend is for it to remain on the cold and dry for most of the month. Not exciting at all, but much better than 'mild wet mush' we usually get.

I’d rather mild and mush or marginal snow then just dry and cold... this winter really hasn’t been great 

Posted

On the outskirts of Gloucester I have what can only be described as noisy snow. It's not snow proper but it makes a sound when it hits the floor. Like a halfway house between snow and hail.

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, FBR said:

On the outskirts of Gloucester I have what can only be described as noisy snow. It's not snow proper but it makes a sound when it hits the floor. Like a halfway house between snow and hail.

Graupel? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

I’d rather mild and mush or marginal snow then just dry and cold... this winter really hasn’t been great 

It's not been bad in the main, tons better than last year. The fact remains that this is day 1 of a prolonged cold spell...we're not even in it proper yet! No clear signs of a breakdown yet, whilst it looks dry there are always chances of things cropping up at short notice. Once the 'storm' has cleared out of the way and the winds veer more direct E, we may see more shower development. One to keep an eye on through tomorrow anyway.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, khodds said:

Graupel? 

That's the word I was looking for

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, SouthernSnowFan said:

It's not been bad in the main, tons better than last year. The fact remains that this is day 1 of a prolonged cold spell...we're not even in it proper yet! No clear signs of a breakdown yet, whilst it looks dry there are always chances of things cropping up at short notice. Once the 'storm' has cleared out of the way and the winds veer more direct E, we may see more shower development. One to keep an eye on through tomorrow anyway.

It’s not that it’s so frustrating our channel low on Tuesday tracked south. The breakdown was meant to be Thursday/Friday and we all would had a snow event and now it’s only delaying the low - south will be rain next week, north snow. Story of this winter! I’ll probably fly to Finland next year 

• Like 1