Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
19 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

Why do we all have secret identities on here anyway with made up names?

Mine is orig from about 12 years ago when i was still working for a global financial services co. I used to login during work time in the office, so didnt want peeps to know who i am. 4+ years on from finishing work i still havent changed it.

Edited by Bristle boy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
30 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

I doubt this will be posted by a certain someone because the UKV actually looks good for a change. Could get a decent covering from this.

4433.png

EDIT: Also worth sharing what Man Without Beard just posted in the mod thread for some in here:

Looks similar to what the Met Office forecast shows for my location 

Posted
18 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

The frontal attack from the SW doesn't even reach the east of this region on the ECMWF 12Z run tonight - I have mentioned a few times that the models often place these things further south, but it's also true that when they underestimate a cold block they also tend to place systems further west with successive runs. 

It's an unusual evolution from cold easterlies to mild southerlies without any significant frontal precipitation in between, but in many ways better than a switch to mild wet and windy weather and consequent flooding.

And yes, the ECMWF has joined the other runs in pushing Tuesday's low a little further north - I can see strong hints of a Channel streamer on its northern flank while the frontal system gets extremely close to grazing the south coast.  A bit further north still, and some of the region could get a fair amount of snow from it.

I’m glad you say there’s a chance of it shifting north. I know the chance is slim but it is still 5 days out. Hopefully it scuppers the south coast as that’s where I live! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

image.thumb.png.faf6b7079c3540ce2d1d94c83d42cb08.png

That could be quite good for tomorrow night 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My name comes from all the way back in 2002 when I joined the BBC Snow Watch boards and named myself after the weather type that the Tyne and Wear area had during the northerly outbreak of 8/9 November 2001 and more locally from the northerly of 22 December 2001.  I thought it was a good way of combining the three types of weather that I tend to get excited by the most - thunderstorms, snow and convection.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Still flirting with Tuesday here. After I thought it would be a dry cold week. Even Plymouth has a forecast for light snow.......no doubt different by morning!629125060_Screenshot_20210205-203456_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.38cf09a8ba4eb079b8de20e78080c5a7.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
1 hour ago, Rapodo said:

Why do we all have secret identities on here anyway with made up names?

Nothing made up about my name, picked it as it was the name of one of my budgies I had when I first joined the forum. 

• Like 1

Posted

Nickname which I was given by my colleagues in my first job. It was initially Noggin the Nog, but got shortened. We all had nicknames!

b.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
10 minutes ago, That ECM said:

No idea why I choose mine.

Given your join date I guess you must have been "lurking" 2-3 weeks before joining the forum.  I still have that run saved somewhere on an external hard drive.  Amusingly its setup wasn't dissimilar to what is forecast for the next five days or so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
6 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Given your join date I guess you must have been "lurking" 2-3 weeks before joining the forum.  I still have that run saved somewhere on an external hard drive.  Amusingly its setup wasn't dissimilar to what is forecast for the next five days or so!

I was on before for a number of years “snow drift” I think but thought I would rejoin under that name. What was interesting was how I was thought off as newbie when actually I wasn’t. Think I actually joined in about 2008 but had several names but couldn’t remember my password from one year to the next, always clear off in the spring, so just rejoined.

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted

I've been lurking for years, FBR was the nickname given to me when I was in the forces. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

ICON 18z has low further north for Tuesday for snow showers! Aspege one is from 12z! It’s looking more and more likely the low is setting up more north. 

EC8A07A1-9310-4A3F-9A17-2E681F287453.png

6EA365EF-0A96-4320-976F-BDDF849BEC2B.png

182FEA8A-FEF3-4D91-A1F9-8B18AD85D901.jpeg

It’s great just to have a chance. ❄️

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I need that to be about 10 miles north of what it shows now. Easy right...  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!
14 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

ICON 18z has low further north for Tuesday for snow showers! Aspege one is from 12z! It’s looking more and more likely the low is setting up more north. 

EC8A07A1-9310-4A3F-9A17-2E681F287453.png

6EA365EF-0A96-4320-976F-BDDF849BEC2B.png

182FEA8A-FEF3-4D91-A1F9-8B18AD85D901.jpeg

For the love of all things holy, please, please, PLEASE be right!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Anyone in Cornwall?

image.thumb.png.ce01307bb8327d2846fc4d7673d6eaaa.png

And south Devon

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!
Just now, gman88667733 said:

I've got as good a chance as any on Dartmoor in that!

Not too far from there (Shaldon) so sea level, but the Beast of 2018 has given me a false sense of optimism, the snow here was incredible then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

So for South Devon and Cornwall. Icon and arpege say yes GFS say no. Interesting times!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Evening all, bit late to the party following this cold spell, we have just moved house and have had building work going on. Trying to catch up with what is going to happen the coming few days to make sure the building work is kept protected.