Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
2 hours ago, Smartie said:

Reading the outlook on the met office site they talk of any low pressure systems hardly making any inroads into the uk due to the high pressure to the north, this could bode well for us if systems stall trying to push in. 

What quite often happens in scenarios like this (not that there have been too many of them in recent times) is the models tend to be too aggressive in their modelling of any approaching Atlantic depressions from the SW.  These normally get delayed and squashed down nearer the time and often don't get past Plymouth.

The systems some modelling show encroaching from the SW mid next week probably won't even make landfall neater the time.

My very early guess for the weekend and into the early part of next week is predominantly cold and dry for our region, with a noticable wind-chill factor.  Obviously can't rule out snowfall/showers/troughs nearer the time.

Posted

image.thumb.png.6386c0b42ceb22511094c0e38056e20e.png

The UKMO looks amazing, that low going under the block along the channel. Some slightly milder uppers creeping in for the far south (i.e. me). Can't see dewpoints or anything but surely that would still be ok? Even for Costa del Bournemouth? 

Anyway, it won't look exactly like that come tuesday.

Definitely getting excited now which i feel is ok. It's late wednesday and we're talking about it getting properly going sunday - not long really

• Like 1

Posted

You gotta love it when you see the MOD thread go in to meltdown, pages and pages in minutes, and amongst all the Northern Boom talk, one comment of note

" but there seems to be a not insignificant chance of some quite heavy rainfall across the South...."

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

You gotta love it when you see the MOD thread go in to meltdown, pages and pages in minutes, and amongst all the Northern Boom talk, one comment of note

" but there seems to be a not insignificant chance of some quite heavy rainfall across the South...."

...and it was then corrected to “extreme south” just to rub it in a little bit more. 

surely even we have a chance of seeing a flake out of this? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

How can we in the south not get anything its a BFTE for christ sake i'm in southampton and we better something

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Chrisover93 said:

How can we in the south not get anything its a BFTE for christ sake i'm in southampton and we better something

Isle of Wight here ?‍♀️ we’re stuffed ugh!!! You never know maybe we’ll get lucky this time but generally here we just get rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything severe

Still looking extremely knife edge for the extreme S/SW likes of here in Cornwall and Isle of Wight - looks like we may end up on the marginal side of 850s but dps perhaps still low enough? Although any frontal stuff moving up from the SW, I doubt we'd be looking at a Storm Emma with snow on immediate coastlines. All seems a bit so close but yet so far - still time for upgrades though ofc! 

Posted
2 hours ago, kumquat said:

spacer.png

Wouldn't take much of a shift south to get some of us in the game on Sunday.

If it does, we'll all be as excited as Susan P looks.

• Like 1

Posted

I am getting quite anxious about this snow. What are our chances (%) for tomorrow and for the midweek battleground (%)? I was confident up until I read the mod thread just now, but now I feel a bit deflated. Might just be my natural pessimism........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, kumquat said:

Good to see us bordering on some interest for Sunday on ICON and GFS. Don't want to be waiting around until middle of next week! Hopefully it keeps upgrading nearer the time for all of the region.

GFS 12Z

spacer.png

Icon 12z

spacer.png

And then you turn to a proper high resolution chart..

viewimage.thumb.png.cc93970b91f0774dba3c693e37402388.png

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, noggin said:

I am getting quite anxious about this snow. What are our chances (%) for tomorrow and for the midweek battleground (%)? I was confident up until I read the mod thread just now, but now I feel a bit deflated. Might just be my natural pessimism........

Chances for tomorrow??

I can answer that one with very high confidence for you........

Screenshot_2021-02-03-18-06-11-75.thumb.jpg.f7ffd920488f47c77316302e255f6385.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

And then you turn to a proper high resolution chart..

viewimage.thumb.png.cc93970b91f0774dba3c693e37402388.png

You need to change your name to party pooper lol

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Smartie said:

You need to change your name to party pooper lol

You can guarantee that chart will be the most accurate of the winter

we’ll need something more than showers here. A trough, a channel slider....

During the 2018 BFTE I was properly miserable with a tooth abscess so failed to enjoy any of it. 

never been better at present so what’s the betting? ??

• Like 1

Posted

I'm not one to obsess over 850hpa temp charts much, as I think they are over-analysed far too much in the MOD thread, but I couldn't help raise an eyebrow to this chart;

Screenshot_2021-02-03-18-34-10-40.thumb.jpg.d1fc74824744cb9504357171eda99d7a.jpg

-12c 850hpa temp over my locale being forecast by the 12z EC Det next Tuesday, in a brisk easterly wind will feel rather cold to say the least.

The old woolly hat might have to make an appearance next week, of only for a few days.  Only comes out on notable cold spells.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything severe

Again not particularly snowy for the SW but ECM 12z has -7 for West Cornwall mid week, that's rare to see! 

Screenshot_20210203_185125.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun

After a fleeting glance into the mod thread... I've retreated to a more local, benign thread. There will be snow for us in Brizzle next week.. thats my prediction, I've nailed my colours to the mast, do with it what you will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, AWD said:

Chances for tomorrow??

I can answer that one with very high confidence for you........

Screenshot_2021-02-03-18-06-11-75.thumb.jpg.f7ffd920488f47c77316302e255f6385.jpg

Thought as much........

Posted
19 minutes ago, noggin said:

Thought as much........

There's not much chance of anybody south of Hull seeing anything until Sunday, Noggin. Just 'cos you live in a coal pit doesn't make you special 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Certainly for this west facing part of dartmoor these type of easterlys present dry but cold weather. Once the cold is on all eyes on the Atlantic to see what moisture can buff up against it!

• Like 2

Posted

You have to laugh sheikhy just posted in the Mad thread ‘

I think come the weekend it wont be snowmageddon as the charts show now but more in the form of showers!!that band of snow for saturday keeps shifting south!!

Posted
19 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Or realist?

Snow is rare in these parts. I've seen heavy snow forecast for it to be kept out in the Channel. Bitter Easterly with Channel lows produce the best here but its so finely balanced. 99/100 if there's marginal you can bet it won't snow. If there's a band crossing, it will fizzle. I agree with your realism. Not a flake so far this season. I will believe it when I see it

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
2 minutes ago, snowysouth said:

If there's a band crossing, it will fizzle....

Which band, Westlife, Beautiful South,..?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
37 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Surly Bucksfizz!

37 minutes ago, matty40s said: