Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I don’t think we should be stocking up on food and loo roll yet surely?! What’s the general consensus?!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, khodds said:

Yes I’m thinking we will have to move in with my partner until something suitable comes up

Does your partner know you are looking for somebody new?

• Like 2

Posted

Morning All, well that makes a change, waking up to a morning with pouring rain..so far temperature at the overnight low 7.9°C , and rainfall 7.6mm, pressure 992.8mb and a light breeze in from the SW...the beachcam shows it all very well this mornng..

image.thumb.png.0b659095da2bb28ec47ef8063d8442d6.png

Posted

Does look to be long before the backup arrives, then maybe I can get my two frenchies to go out, talk about fair weather dogs, stand at the door see its raining, look at me  as much to say "HaHa, you cant be serious, it's raining and you want us to go out?"

image.thumb.png.3112ad464283cf39361f0f08cc3eb668.png

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, khodds said:

I don’t think we should be stocking up on food and loo roll yet surely?! What’s the general consensus?!

I shall get enough so that I can survive for at least a week as I am too old to be trudging nearly a mile to the nearest shop and then nearly another mile back again, in a possible blizzard❄❄! Have also lost confidence in driving in such conditions, so that is out too! So, a week's worth of basic stuff for me! 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, khodds said:

Whoooosh, blink and you miss it. I suppose the law of averages comes in to play, but then again folks in the northern part of the region have been fortunate for some white stuff(but unfortunate in flooding).

Right now, I'm still on the side of "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...."

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
39 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Does your partner know you are looking for somebody new?

Hahaha!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Morning all,currently 7.8°C dank grey with 8.4mm of rain so far,98% RH and pressure 993mb and no wind.

Posted
3 hours ago, Rapodo said:

Lol Met office showing 4oC in Poole for next Tuesday on the app. Matt Hugo saying the South unlikely to see any snow.

Hoping these lows will slip further south.

Would highly doubt we would miss out entirely on what is a very brisk eastily showing. 

This is the problem of living on the South Coast I'm afraid. ANY hint of a southerly vector in the wind will bring the warmth off the sea and kill your chance of snow for about 10 miles inland.

Having said all of that the incoming cold spell has the potential to be significant. It isn't a BFTE as per 2018 where here in Wilts we had a maximum daytime temperature of -4C on two days but it is going to be cold with significant penetrating frost considering the windspeed. -1C with a 30mph wind will freeze a lot harder that -5c in still conditions.

We will get some snow showers in the cold flow with minor features popping up at short notice giving several centimetres at a time - these can add up quickly. The real threat /opportunity comes when low pressure inevitably tries to break down the cold from the South West, how this interacts with the cold is critical - from a few hours snow to monumental blizzards. The latter are rare, but do happen and the current setup COULD lead to this later next week. 

Whilst many on here get excited about this sort of thing the reality is very challenging if significant snow falls. Never mind attempts to vaccinate the population will suffer a severe setback in the case of disruption down to snow. As always be careful what you wish for !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!

Sadly, think this sill be a non event for us in the SW. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. I hate being cold.
14 minutes ago, rug said:

I'd be delighted. Roll on spring, warm sunshine and a chance to get the roof down

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like a cold snap early next week with very limited snow potential for the South/South West before fronts from the Atlantic move in later next week, which might be the best hope for snow down here, though probably temporary as the mild air floods back in again. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
1 hour ago, rug said:

Wouldn't be so quick to say that just yet, this up & coming spell is the sort of weather pattern that can deliver those classic SW blizzards of the past. 

For me personally I'd like to see any low pressure systems being more flattened, more trough disruption, we certainly don't want any low pressure systems to be too rounded as that certainly wouldn't be great for the far south & south west. 

• Like 2

Posted

Also, very happy that we now have locations shown on mobile again (think it used to be a feature a few years ago). Much better than having to check everyone’s profile separately!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

This thread seems rather depressing today considering what’s potentially on offer over the coming week. 

As for now, it’s dry now after the rain earlier with the sun starting to break through. 9.6°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, dec10snow said:

Also, very happy that we now have locations shown on mobile again (think it used to be a feature a few years ago). Much better than having to check everyone’s profile separately!

Yes it did until an update broke it if I remember rightly. Nice to have it back at last. 

• Like 3

Posted
49 minutes ago, dec10snow said:

To maybe brighten some moods;

Reading the outlook on the met office site they talk of any low pressure systems hardly making any inroads into the uk due to the high pressure to the north, this could bode well for us if systems stall trying to push in. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything severe
2 hours ago, rug said:

Agreed, especially Cornwall/Devon. Synoptics looked great 4-5 days ago with the low well south into ctrl France but too far north now, Somerset eastwards could fair better perhaps. 

Netwx newbie btw well, been reading for a while but first time posting

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowman4000 said:

Agreed, especially Cornwall/Devon. Synoptics looked great 4-5 days ago with the low well south into ctrl France but too far north now, Somerset eastwards could fair better perhaps. 

Netwx newbie btw well, been reading for a while but first time posting

Welcome, fingers crossed you see some snow down there, was awesome seeing snow videos from St. Ives back in 2018.

Posted
1 hour ago, Smartie said:

Welcome, fingers crossed you see some snow down there, was awesome seeing snow videos from St. Ives back in 2018.

Thanks

Fingers crossed, we had 10-15cm down here in the west before Storm Emma from a channel streamer, was an epic event. 

Posted

ICON 12z a nice shift south for us in the far SW, finally into the proper cold air. Hopefully the trends continue on GFS

• Like 4

Posted

Good to see us bordering on some interest for Sunday on ICON and GFS. Don't want to be waiting around until middle of next week! Hopefully it keeps upgrading nearer the time for all of the region.

GFS 12Z

spacer.png

Icon 12z

spacer.png

• Like 6