Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted

My, its been mild today, peaking @ 12.6°C at: 12:21, currently 11.1°C, after a wet start, some sun earlier was soon swallowed up with the cloud inrush, and a moderate breeze in from the WSW, with pressure 994.0mb, and as I type the sound of rain beating against my windows has returned..with some feisty showers in from the channel.. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Don't look in the mod thread... its a toy throwing pram fest

That sounds like the description for December to April...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Thought I'd have a quick scan of the mad thread, get an idea for next week. Oh dear. My head hurts..... all I can say is 

You spin me right 'round, baby
Right 'round like a record, baby
Right 'round, 'round, 'round

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Damn ecm, you could have repeated your 00z run for the 12z, oh well lol. 

Edited by Smartie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

I hope this isn't going to be yet another northern event.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

could well be, most winters end up that way

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
29 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

I am struggling to get excited by this beast from the east I just feel like vomiting while they all talk of 50cm+ for their regions. 

Then when you hear the phrase "the whole country gets a pasting" you know that doesnt ever include west country 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I am struggling to get excited by this beast from the east I just feel like vomiting while they all talk of 50cm+ for their regions. 

Then when you hear the phrase "the whole country gets a pasting" you know that doesnt ever include west country 

Get used to the rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Mild today with a high of 11.1°C at: 12:56... mostly cloudy with showery rain at times albeit some brightness this morning and early afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Arrrgghhh have managed to finally sell my house but now can’t find anywhere Id like to move to. Anyone know where I can look online for private house sales?  I’ve had a look at Facebook marketplace. And a look at independent estate agents.. and obviously Rightmove/Zoopla

Posted

Referring to the mad thread; IMO they can keep the weather north of the M4 until T-0. Then watch it all come south and obliterate us. Just my opinion right now

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Don't worry guys because we all know the channel low is waiting to run into that cold air and stall over us for 24-36 hours giving us 1-2ft of snow.

Hope your right Jay!

think I’m suffering model fatigue.. god help us for the next few days

• Like 1

Posted

Am I right in thinking that because the cold air doesn’t extend far enough west that is the reason Devon is forecast to not get any snow?

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ydoj said:

Am I right in thinking that because the cold air doesn’t extend far enough west that is the reason Devon is forecast to not get any snow?

It’s too early to say (and I’m no expert), but I think southern England should be okay, might get a good old channel low fingers crossed but it’s too early for the finer details 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

With each run that comes out, it points toward what the Met Office were saying in their medium range forecasts some time ago - that they'll be some kind of North/South divide in the weather. Obviously, that dividing line has been further South at times, but as the output ticks by, the same theme creeps in. An IMBY comment; I'm pretty confident it'll remain snowless here for the rest of Winter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

HI To all  ,yes we usually miss out most winters but tonight I'm  pretty confident we will get a couple of lying snow events in our patch sat till mid next week .could be that we get snow events followed by a thaw ,snow whi ch sticks around ,or we get Zilch as normal ,this is set up is not normal ,sweet spots still up for grabs  ,take care all ,cheers . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I reckon it's because we are forecast to stay dry when the colder air sets in, due to a surface northerly flow on the west of the trough over the SE which means we don't get a shot at snow showers or troughs coming all the way across from the North Sea.  None of the operational runs show much snow potential for Devon but the ECMWF 12Z ensembles look pretty good at around 6-7 days out for a possible channel low "slider" with the 850hPa temps around -5, which in a continental air mass would probably be cold enough, so we can't yet rule out potential snow events.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Latest met office update I read a few hours ago mentioned any low pressure coming in from the South West would make very little inroads into the UK due to high pressure to the north, to me that sounds very interesting for our neck of the woods. The east can keep their snow showers, this sort of setup can deliver large falls of snow for our part of the country. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
2 hours ago, khodds said:

Arrrgghhh have managed to finally sell my house but now can’t find anywhere Id like to move to. Anyone know where I can look online for private house sales?  I’ve had a look at Facebook marketplace. And a look at independent estate agents.. and obviously Rightmove/Zoopla

In the same boat, there's naff all to buy round here, all snapped up in the frenzy of the stamp duty holiday.  We're going into rented, better to wait for the uptick in houses coming up for sale that usually happens at Easter than buy something that's a massive compromise. 

• Like 1

Posted

Lol Met office showing 4oC in Poole for next Tuesday on the app. Matt Hugo saying the South unlikely to see any snow.

Hoping these lows will slip further south.

Would highly doubt we would miss out entirely on what is a very brisk eastily showing. 

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, jethro said:

In the same boat, there's naff all to buy round here, all snapped up in the frenzy of the stamp duty holiday.  We're going into rented, better to wait for the uptick in houses coming up for sale that usually happens at Easter than buy something that's a massive compromise. 

Yes I’m thinking we will have to move in with my partner until something suitable comes up