Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Hmm I think the radar is worth keeping an eye on the next few hours, Wales is getting bits of snow all over the place. Hope the low pressure doesn’t zip off south east just yet.... 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I am back from my afternoon walk at around 290 ish metres just when those showers happened to come in and it left another inch on the ground by time I left really came down.

Back in the avon now and its a slush fest.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm at 4.1°C after the passing shower pulled some colder air down.

My cameras have suddenly dropped to 3c. I wonder if there's a chance of a wintery mix later? Still, I'd prefer it milder than marginal. This is wasted cold rain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Looks like the Derby area have had our Feb 2019 type snow event, and similarly localised too.

Looks like some light snow flurries starting to develop ahead of the returning (and weakening) band of snow as it begins its journey south again. Might be of interest to some in northern parts of the region around Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire.

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 16.51.25.png

Posted

I know it’s a fair way away, even from the north of our region, but this mornings band is moving south west/south now fairly quickly. It hasn’t exactly fizzled out either. Wishful thinking I’m sure... 

EF73C30F-5A36-48D6-82BD-D8AFE9CDE02C.thumb.png.5ed1cb7af58a4d7eed057ac3d2ee81f6.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Nothing falling here, yet... despite sleet/rain/snow around me on the radar. Temp 1.6°C DP 0.9°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Ended up with about 3 inches total here. ☃️

20210124_140342.jpg

20210124_083632.jpg

20210124_080409.jpg

20210124_071510.jpg

20210124_063422.jpg

20210124_063745.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
1 minute ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

Looks like the Derby area have had our Feb 2019 type snow event, and similarly localised too.

Looks like some light snow flurries starting to develop ahead of the returning (and weakening) band of snow as it begins its journey south again. Might be of interest to some in northern parts of the region around Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire.

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 16.51.25.png

BBC graphics have it hitting parts of our region by 7pm. Seems a bit too early but we'll see.

34.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Anyone from the Shaftesbury area on here? Wondering if the NetWeather radar is right showing snowfall there at the moment.

Whatever's coming has waited until nightfall to arrive here. So if it's snow it will be seen mostly by torchlight again!

Overall, the main band heading so far north seems to have placed more of the region under the zone of overnight shower activity.

Models seem to have gone off bringing the disturbance over Wales down without it fizzling out, but I can see a bit of a circulation in that so I'm not convinced it will fade so fast.

Posted
Just now, MidnightSnow said:

BBC graphics have it hitting parts of our region by 7pm. Seems a bit too early but we'll see.

34.png

I dunno, I’ve run the animation on the radar for last hour, it seems to have got a bit of a race on compared to earlier. The north west bit is moving in a fairly south west direction which could be good for some of us... 

Posted
Just now, MidnightSnow said:

34.png

That 'blob' over South/Central Wales is heading in our direction (looking at radar) but normally, from that direction, it gets zapped by the Brecons. Maybe, just maybe it'll make its way to our area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Met Office have it hitting Bath/Bristol at 9 to 12pm so maybe some more to come?

Posted
17 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm at 4.1°C after the passing shower pulled some colder air down.

4.9 here se of southampton on the coast, shocking really.  Rain approaching again aswell...

Posted
6 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

Met Office have it hitting Bath/Bristol at 9 to 12pm so maybe some more to come?

That’s way more west than various predictions earlier today. It looks more west on the radar right now than what I remember charts showing for this time from this morning... damn might have to pop to the shop and get some beers now! And some essentials as well of course... 

Edited by SilverWolf
  • Like 2

Posted

Quick report and pics from this morning.

Started snowing around 5.30am. Got up at 6am to watch it with a really heavy burst around 6.30. Pretty much stopped around 7.15. Got a respectful 10cm. More than I was expecting for something that cleared our region quicker than forecast.

Looks like East Midlands and Cambridgeshire got the Feb 1 2019 set up today with the totals probably going up nicely I suspect.

Overall, great to see snow again after almost two years. Could February bring some more our way?

56796723-EBF6-466F-90FA-7D04DA2838C8.jpeg

45FF67B1-1217-490F-9BEF-51BE4A7DA1B7.jpeg

CF8B3C20-D69E-4768-8617-C34814C92CF7.jpeg

CFB86C1F-E460-475D-8752-A6E30B0A1E47.jpeg

157B3C6D-78DE-49B0-A08B-958254A7CCCC.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
Just now, Bristle boy said:

Just been snowing in Chepstow apparently; that's only a few miles from here. Best keep peaking at the lampost.

I doubt it will make it in one piece as it crosses the channel. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Been watching that cluster of showers over Wales, see if they survive the trip over the Brecons or not.

Appears they MIGHT have managed to keep some form of intensity, now heading down into Monmouthshire and Bristol channel area.

Could Bristol/South Glos see one last dusting of snow?

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, SteveB said:

I doubt it will make it in one piece as it crosses the channel. 

Maybe not. Newport also now getting snow.

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Just been snowing in Chepstow apparently; that's only a few miles from here. Best keep peaking at the lampost.

Indeed, not without interest that little set up about to cross the Bristol Channel. Could be coming our way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
Just now, AWD said:

Been watching that cluster of showers over Wales, see if they survive the trip over the Brecons or not.

Appears they MIGHT have managed to keep some form of intensity, now heading down into Monmouthshire and Bristol channel area.

Ahem... and just south of the mendips please 

Posted
Just now, AWD said:

Thought u'd be watching the footie, AWD? I've got it on, but not really taking much notice. I cant get into the footie this season, without the crowds.