Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Went out for a walk about 10am up to Telegraph Hill , managed to drag 2 of the kids out of bed for it. First picture is of solstice park. Second pic is looking back over Bulford, third pic is me and my 2 girls at top of telegraph hill.

20210124_100123.jpg

20210124_095449.jpg

IMG-20210124-WA0004.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
Just now, Bristle boy said:

The precip in the B Channel is really intensifying; some of our area is either going to get a good soaking or a pasting (likely south of here one would expect).

Just seen that - it’s showing up as sleet on the radar in the channel (yeah I know that’s not always right...). Some of the stuff very early this morning was just showing as rain there. Not sure if that means anything, but....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, alex12 said:

Yep rain incoming i think! Pleasant surprise if it isnt!

It was rain, with a bit of sleet mixed in. 

Posted
59 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

YAY! Where are you? I'm Harestock. About a cm here or just under

Over in Kings Worthy, it was nice whilst it lasted. I wonder if we will get lucky with a 'proper' fall before spring arrives? 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Radar shows snow falling from the shower over the Mendips now.  Rain/sleet at lower, coastal areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, Getmydrift said:

Over in Kings Worthy, it was nice whilst it lasted. I wonder if we will get lucky with a 'proper' fall before spring arrives? 

I used to live in south Wonston and a friend there took this earlier this morning. Makes me feel even better with the rubbished served up here  

BAB2A525-50AE-4286-92E4-BD2C6878764C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
10 minutes ago, AWD said:

Radar shows snow falling from the shower over the Mendips now.  Rain/sleet at lower, coastal areas.

Nowt here. Radar says there should be but it's fibbing.

Posted

Round 2? 

2FD1E8B3-AB6B-4362-8054-9F04DAEE5758.thumb.jpeg.a2ae6596a1dedc07d165e83308400257.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms /Snow

Up to 5.2°c now after an overnight low of -4.4°c.....cloudy with sunny spells........well we got a dusting here.....but it was never going to be great being not far from the coast....further inland did a lot better.

It's been better than the last few winters but can't help but feel disappointed.... as it just hasn't quite been cold enough for long enough.......but nice to see a lot of you guys doing much better.....loving the pics....❄☃️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Squirrels are loving it too.

20210124_105357.jpg

20210124_105404.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Most of the snow has melted, but some remains in the shade and on the grass and driveway. Up to 4.1°C with blue skies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Look how far away that line of precip has gotten..  lol

A lot further North and East than predicted.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 hours ago, jethro said:

A good couple of inches here, not dripping yet but it doesn't feel that cold out there so expect a thaw during the day.

There aren’t many times I feel like I want to live in the Mendips but today was one of them. Beautiful walk in Stockhill with hardly anyone around!

• Like 1

Posted

Any chance those showers in west Wales will survive the journey to the north of our region? Temp will have dropped by the time they get across if they do. 

3007FD0B-0174-4EAA-84BC-45F6FE95F0B2.thumb.png.74cf77855c521fc8dd92e6e641c42678.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
1 minute ago, SilverWolf said:

Any chance those showers in west Wales will survive the journey to the north of our region? Temp will have dropped by the time they get across if they do. 

3007FD0B-0174-4EAA-84BC-45F6FE95F0B2.thumb.png.74cf77855c521fc8dd92e6e641c42678.png

Doesn't look like they will go north of M4.  If they do survive (and that's an iffy if), they look on course for South Bristol/Mendip area.

EDIT - Sorry, I've just realised you are referring to the ones in far west Wales.  The Brecons will no doubt swallow them up.

Edited by AWD
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Woke up early enough to be able to watch the snow falling this morning, and then it was off out to have a play and a good walk in it before it all melts.

Probably about 5cm here which was a bit more than I had dared hope for. I do feel for you guys down on the south coast and Cornwall.

8CE5F99F-F83D-4702-B8FA-8D2A19B792A4.jpeg

D89E98FB-6F40-401F-9633-C91C5D988BAE.jpeg

3AB5A97D-1B4B-4038-A027-3370D575A8BE.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Nice overnight fall here in Stroud about 6-7cms at 80 meters elevation. Was gorgeous at first light. With the nature of the airmass the snow has been melting somewhat as the day has gone on.

Managed to get a good sledging session in with my niece and nephew so all good. 

Overall a nice little event and the first proper widespread snow of the winter for many in our region . Lets hope its not the last.

Edited by chris55
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, chris55 said:

Nice overnight fall here in Stroud about 6-7cms at 80 meters elevation. Was gorgeous at first light. With the nature of the airmass the snow has been melting somewhat as the day has gone on.

Managed to get a good sledging session in with my niece and nephew so all good. 

Overall a nice little event and the first proper widespread snow of the winter for many in our region . Lets hope its not the last.

yes its been great here hasn't it. Been up on Minch Common. Met office forecast says light snow at 9pm

Minch Common.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
8 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

Definitely worth keeping an eye on Silver. With the main front being further north that little rotation could well sustain as the whole system pulls south. One to watch
074032AA-49FB-4966-9195-136A6C7CE345.thumb.png.93aa7b6bbc1430ff81d19b7b63c43b17.png

Edited by chris55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

Definitely worth keeping an eye on Silver. With the main front being further north that little rotation could well sustain as the whole system pulls south. One to watch
074032AA-49FB-4966-9195-136A6C7CE345.thumb.png.93aa7b6bbc1430ff81d19b7b63c43b17.png

I was wondering if the bit of sun and now max temperatures might actually help them come all the way over as the day progresses... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
13 minutes ago, MP-R said:

There aren’t many times I feel like I want to live in the Mendips but today was one of them. Beautiful walk in Stockhill with hardly anyone around!

And what's wrong with the Mendips? I mean apart from the rain, the Mendip murk and fog?

I'm plotting a move to the Mendip plateau, moving to the highest village... increased snow chances has absolutely nothing to do with it. Honest Ma Lud.

• Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, Jet Streak said:

Drove from Poole to Shaftsbury surprising the amount of snow in places before Blandford, around 5cm on the higher blandford road further towards shaftsbury, we stopped 

at view point near compton Abbas 228m there was a good covering.

That’s one of the best viewpoints in this region.