Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
1 minute ago, kumquat said:

Where are you Richard? Does seem to be hitting North East of the region mostly later this morning, but there's some decent intensification starting to appear right down in the South West over Bodmin and coming in off the Channel. Plymouth looks soon to get hit with some decent PPN so it'll be interesting to see what it falls as.

Kingswood, Bristol

Posted
1 minute ago, Richard Fisher said:

Kingswood, Bristol

Ah OK, think we'll see a CM or 2. Does look like South Midlands/Cotswolds is the sweet spot on the models but it's all about the radar and nowcasting.

Posted
Just now, kumquat said:

Ah OK, think we'll see a CM or 2. Does look like South Midlands/Cotswolds is the sweet spot on the models but it's all about the radar and nowcasting.

Thank you

Posted
5 minutes ago, Richard Fisher said:

Thank you

Please don't quote me on that LOL. It's like pulling hen's teeth for snow here. Slightly worried about warming effect of the Bristol channel as it approaches. On the other hand that can have the effect of intensifying the "rainfall" and once it gets a few miles inland it can help drop the freeze level. I think we'll be drawing winds from the south as the front arrives so hope the cold remains over Somerset etc.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Some radar grabs..

246253885_Screenshot_20210124-004138_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.062b5d82108721eea98129f21016e20f.jpg 1994471482_Screenshot_20210124-004153_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0af25ed42ee2901c536a707af94b8849.jpg

Yeah, that's slightly worrying for anything South of Cardiff. I expect Dartmoor will get a good covering. Then the Cotswolds. Living just North East of Bristol, I'm hoping for a dusting.

Posted

Just had a heavy sleet / snow shower  over Bugle in Cornwall 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, WDHS said:

Just had a heavy sleet / snow shower  over Bugle in Cornwall 

Nice report. Just up the road from my sister in St Austell. What is your elevation in Bugle, do you know?

Posted

Show as 138 metres here. I guess you can expect a 1 degree lowering of surface level temps there.

map2-512x512.png
ELEVATIONMAP.NET

Topographic Map of Bugle, Cornwall, South West England, United Kingdom. Elevation, latitude and longitude of Bugle, Cornwall, South West England, United Kingdom on the world topo map.

Posted
1 hour ago, khodds said:

Aarrrgghhh why am I still awake . I’m going to wake up late now and miss the fun knowing me

ALARM!!! I'm still up ... Just ... Had to write to my blog our weekly round up Now to read and answer this lot then get myself off to beddies too!

• Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, kumquat said:

There are pockets of warmer T850s around so it's the luck of the draw for all of the Southwest.

Well there's a surprise. Why can't we just have decent cold ...!

Posted
4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

ALARM!!! I'm still up ... Just ... Had to write to my blog our weekly round up Now to read and answer this lot then get myself off to beddies too!

Your Winchester weather station doesn't work for me! Just been watching Vikings so Winchester is very much on my mind!

Posted

Seems to be sleet and snow over all inland areas. Not even bothered about the sleet green colour because I've only seen snow reported from that recently... It just seems a very narrow band and it'll be all over after a small dusting.

Posted
15 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Your Winchester weather station doesn't work for me! Just been watching Vikings so Winchester is very much on my mind!

I know!! It's not mine but someone else's a couple of miles away. It's the darn flash! Well sad as I use it daily too Off to sleepies now!

Posted
2 minutes ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

Rain/sleet here on South Dartmoor 188m ASL

Gosh that doesn't bode well at all. Especially as its coldest right now. I'm well surprised!

Posted
6 minutes ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

Rain/sleet here on South Dartmoor 188m ASL

Disappointing at that elevation. One of those warm upper pockets coming in from the South, I reckon. Hopefully you'll get something after this, colder air incoming.

Edited by kumquat

Posted
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Gosh that doesn't bode well at all. Especially as its coldest right now. I'm well surprised!

Yep me too. Keep getting out of bed to watch it fall on the deluxe window but no need now as I can just hear it

Posted

Disappointing at that altitude. One of those warm upper pockets coming in from the South, I reckon. Hopefully you'll get something after this, colder air incoming.

Yep haven't given up hope

Posted

And yet report of heavy snow in Plymouth from Plymsnow. Maybe give it a bit for heavier precipitation?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Currently -3.2°C here. It won't be long before the wind picks up from the ESE and then turns to the S. The Met Office app has upgraded me to some hail. Very short lived though.

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

Currently -3.2°C here. It won't be long before the wind picks up from the ESE and then turns to the S. The Met Office app has upgraded me to some hail. Very short lived though.

Yep. It's not gonna be long lasting. Could catch a streamer from the south. Who knows? Plenty of ppn reinforcements from the channel but are they bring warmer air mass?