Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Predicted vs actual for 10pm from Metoffice. Pretty similar tbh.

Predicted

686472E4-3B8E-44AD-B20A-5DF45A849EB5.thumb.png.f5d2b073a9617c19d792c12d8e655c3e.png

Live

7D8E2FE8-B9E9-4EAB-BDA6-BF9F3505141E.thumb.png.986d0423379c50304b2ecc8f7179c9d9.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
Just now, chris55 said:

Predicted vs actual for 10pm from Metoffice. Pretty similar tbh.

Predicted

686472E4-3B8E-44AD-B20A-5DF45A849EB5.thumb.png.f5d2b073a9617c19d792c12d8e655c3e.png

Live

7D8E2FE8-B9E9-4EAB-BDA6-BF9F3505141E.thumb.png.986d0423379c50304b2ecc8f7179c9d9.png

Yes we got to remember the front will slow down as it heads in to uk shores.

I'm so nervous... its just been so long!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This radar animation is quite good for capturing the building size and intensity of the band...

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

La météo en temps réel et prévisions météo pour la France, Observations météo, modèles numériques et logiciels météo (GFS, ECMWF, UKMO, GEM, AROME, ARPEGE, JMA)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
2 minutes ago, Adrian Major said:

Met Office Forecast Upgrade for Stroud Area. Heavy Snow 6Pm right through to 10PM then light snow for couple of more hours

Should that say ‘6am - 10am’? Just checking! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
9 minutes ago, Paul T said:

Some very intense ppn on the radar to our west. It gathering some strength. 

It also has some sleet within it, even out at sea to our west (unusal), which bodes very well for when it hits land...

And to top it off, lightening currently being detected at Scilly Isles...

There is polar air digging in behind this so it's not surprising there are greens starting to show, although it can be inaccurate sometimes.......

Posted

There’s already some hint of a pivot, running the animation for an hour. At the very north west tip of the band it appears not to move  much at all in an hour. The band had a near perfect north south line a few hours back..

F44BA716-A207-4827-96E5-0F7E2815A8C5.thumb.png.e2288b2566709a75b1acf849d31fa144.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
7 minutes ago, Adrian Major said:

Met Office Forecast Upgrade for Stroud Area. Heavy Snow 6Pm right through to 10PM then light snow for couple of more hours

The initial front looking a bit more intense for sure! Though as ever the Apps have to be taken as a guide only  

8568338D-2907-4A7C-BE59-0DA595789D81.thumb.png.c884a6748ecc462f2ecb1ba52a5364b3.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
Just now, SilverWolf said:

There’s already some hint of a pivot, running the animation for an hour. At the very north west tip of the band it appears not to move  much at all in an hour. The band had a near perfect north south line a few hours back..

F44BA716-A207-4827-96E5-0F7E2815A8C5.thumb.png.e2288b2566709a75b1acf849d31fa144.png

Yep, it's what was forecast by the 12z Euro4 to name but one model, hence why I am not too concerned about the northwards or eastwards extent yet.

It should start to slide SE now with the associated PPN bands rotating NE in an anti clockwise motion.

Little side note, high Res 18z models all give the West Country a period of snowfall early hours before pivoting the band somewhere to the NE of our region.  Worth noting though that the PPN intensity is forecast to be a lot better when crossing the West Country than when the front is forecast to pivot, where PPN intensity quickly fizzles out.

Might not be so important to be under any pivot as we imagine?

• Like 3

Posted

I'm so excited... am thinking of setting alarm for 7am... no point being up any earlier than that as dark....

• Like 3

Posted

Please keep updates on radar and snow for are  region please guys for us novice very  appreciated fingers crossed guys we all deserve a nice dumping 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

Please keep updates on radar and snow for are  region please guys for us novice very  appreciated fingers crossed guys we all deserve a nice dumping 

Just keep watching lol

Posted
6 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

I'm so excited... am thinking of setting alarm for 7am... no point being up any earlier than that as dark....

If you’ve never been for a night walk in snow that’s just fallen, I’ll highly recommend it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, SilverWolf said:

If you’ve never been for a night walk in snow that’s just fallen, I’ll highly recommend it! 

100% with that... though looks like its due to start around 6am where I am.... want to time my morning walk with the heaviest of it if possible... will defo be glued to the radar.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, AWD said:

Yep, it's what was forecast by the 12z Euro4 to name but one model, hence why I am not too concerned about the northwards or eastwards extent yet.

It should start to slide SE now with the associated PPN bands rotating NE in an anti clockwise motion.

Little side note, high Res 18z models all give the West Country a period of snowfall early hours before pivoting the band somewhere to the NE of our region.  Worth noting though that the PPN intensity is forecast to be a lot better when crossing the West Country than when the front is forecast to pivot, where PPN intensity quickly fizzles out.

Might not be so important to be under any pivot as we imagine?

I noticed that Wales and the SW take all the heavy snow and when it pivots it's just the dribs and drabs left.

Edited by Jayfromcardiff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
Just now, Blizzard said:

100% with that... though looks like its due to start around 6am where I am.... want to time my morning walk with the heaviest of it if possible... will defo be glued to the radar.... 

Latest 18z UKV has the band clear of the whole region and into the Midlands by 08:00am tomorrow morning. 

Posted
Just now, AWD said:

Latest 18z UKV has the band clear of the whole region and into the Midlands by 08:00am tomorrow morning. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Blizzard said:

Yeah timing is key... good to have some on the ground and some falling. 

Edited by SilverWolf
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul T said:

For context, current Radar and frontal speed suggests 1.45am Plymouth, 2.30am Exeter, 3.30am Bristol...

Thank you David 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 minute ago, Paul T said:

For context, current Radar and frontal speed suggests 1.45am Plymouth, 2.30am Exeter, 3.30am Bristol...

Its going to slow down though.. isnt it. 

4.30am alarm is early enough surely?!

• Like 2