Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted

That current precipitation coming in from the NW looks like what develops when an annoying weak warm front dives SE rather than E as forecasted. It happens often.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I think it's more sleet than snow falling here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Very, and emphasis on very, light snow here. I can only see it as I have a streetlight outside my bedroom window. The next streetlight  along is too far away to make out the snow it is so light. This is the worst snow tease.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

No fog here now 

well below freezing I think about -2/3

some cloud about but can't see any snow 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Still nothing falling. If we don’t get snow from this, I think I’d be more than happy to forward role into spring for some sun and warmth...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Just been out on a lockdown walk and had a very brief flurry. Was definitely snow and not sleet as it hit my face and bounced 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Foggy all day, and an ice day here with a high of -0.9°C at: 15:04...

Got down to -3.3°C a little while ago but the temperature has since risen to -2.6°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Fog lifted here and highest temperature of the day so far at -0.3c.

Posted

Precipitation got heavier, and now it is definitely...

Rain.

You couldn't make it up. Temperature now rising quite well, 1.0°C, warmest it has been all day.

Posted
18 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Still nothing falling. If we don’t get snow from this, I think I’d be more than happy to forward role into spring for some sun and warmth...

Yes. I am sick to death of near misses. The only reason I tolerate Winter is for a chance of snow, no snow, bring on a more cheerful season.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

Yes. I am sick to death of near misses. The only reason I tolerate Winter is for a chance of snow, no snow, bring on a more cheerful season.

Agreed. I'm all for sunny winter days, frost, fog etc - just not cloudy and wet. It's particularly frustrating at times like these when we've had cold for the best part of 10 days and still wait for snow to FALL let alone lie. If we end up with no snow before it turns milder next week, it'll just be another forgettable cold spell to add to the pile.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just like that the fogs cleared. No change in temperature at the moment with it still -2.6°C

Posted
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Agreed. I'm all for sunny winter days, frost, fog etc - just not cloudy and wet. It's particularly frustrating at times like these when we've had cold for the best part of 10 days and still wait for snow to FALL let alone lie. If we end up with no snow before it turns milder next week, it'll just be another forgettable cold spell to add to the pile.

I have enjoyed the couple of hard frosts we've had admittedly. But yeah, it will be a complete waste if we get nothing in the way of snow at all, and a few flakes sure doesn't count.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted
9 minutes ago, Somerset Squall said:

Precipitation got heavier, and now it is definitely...

Rain.

You couldn't make it up. Temperature now rising quite well, 1.0°C, warmest it has been all day.

Yep, thought it was looking very much like rain.... Wunderground still showing most stations at 0C around town...

What do we need to get snow?!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, dec10snow said:

Yep, thought it was looking very much like rain.... Wunderground still showing most stations at 0C around town...

What do we need to get snow?!

It really is infuriating, I definitely saw a few flakes initially but once the precipitation pepped up a bit it turned to rain. Perhaps the upper air temps are too high and it was colder at the surface, and the heavier precipitation brought the warmer air down, just a guess. I think we have been in some kind of temperature inversion all day.

Edited by Somerset Squall
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I don't think there have been any good chances of snow for many people so far? It has all been marginal/quick moving scattered small events. I could understand if it was missing out on a decent channel low, but not the offerings so far?!

There's been zero chances here, and the past model updates haven't shown anything anywhere near close to even raise an eyebrow, so I haven't been bothered by it. I've enjoyed the cold weather for what it is, and for statistical purposes.

Oh yeah, also got an ice day out of this! I've only recorded 2 in the last 10 years and the last one was with a lot of snow cover, so that makes today's one very impressive.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I don't think there have been any good chances of snow for many people so far? It has all been marginal/quick moving scattered small events. I could understand if it was missing out on a decent channel low, but not the offerings so far?!

There's been zero chances here, and the past model updates haven't shown anything anywhere near close to even raise an eyebrow, so I haven't been bothered by it. I've enjoyed the cold weather for what it is, and for statistical purposes.

Oh yeah, also got an ice day out of this! I've only recorded 2 in the last 10 years and the last one was with a lot of snow cover, so that makes today's one very impressive.

No there definitely hasn’t, I think that’s probably the worst bit considering we’ve just gone through a ‘cold spell’!

Personally I was just hoping that in the colder weather we’ve had we’d pick up some scraps of snow somewhere to give us at least some falling snow or a dusting but that seems difficult in itself.

Think we may have had one too, but it’s difficult to tell when you don’t have a weather station! Was your last ice day in 2018? I recall that with the snow cover there were some low minima and maximas recorded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, dec10snow said:

Think we may have had one too, but it’s difficult to tell when you don’t have a weather station! Was your last ice day in 2018? I recall that with the snow cover there were some low minima and maximas recorded.

Yep - March 1st maxing out at -0.4°C

20180301_172619.thumb.jpg.83cd8c98bdf1a95dfda5a5bc87a684fc.jpg

Today's max was -0.2°C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

Thought a bit of radar watching could be the cards tonight, but might skip this one. You can just tell it's gonna be frustrating. My expectations are at 0 so anything white that falls out the sky will be a bonus tomorrow.

Model thread is popping off atm. I'm not one to take anything past +144 seriously but do FI charts have more credence because of a SSW event? Or less?

Posted
4 hours ago, s4lancia said:

Thanks Beka, I’ve been better that’s for sure. Still dragging on 9 days in. Freezing cold, no appetite, nausea and totally lethargic all day long. Thank goodness for Paracetamol at least

We had an outbreak at work just before Christmas  (despite our stringent precautions )by the time we hit 4 cases I decided to shut the company down early for Xmas. In the intervening few days we’d hit 13 known cases, 20% of the workforce. Scattered around seemingly indiscriminately, no real clusters. Horrible. 

Gosh hope it goes soon for you What do you do to still be working? I am dreading it hitting our house! At least paracetamol takes the worst off for you. Horrid times!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Light snow falling here in shepton mallet at 130m quite pretty. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some precipitation has fallen in Exeter, I couldn't tell exactly what it was, but it looks like it was probably freezing rain and it certainly wasn't 100% snow.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers